Thread: Programs not opening?

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Programs not opening?

Is this a memory issue? I just downloaded a program (Flash Decompiler) and it won't open. I've double clicked the icon, the little hour glass does it's thing, then nothing. I tried rebooting my machine, and then it worked! But after I messed something up with it, I had to close it. When I tried to open it again, it wouldn't open.

I've rebooted 3 times since then, and it still won't open.

Edit: I use Windows XP Home Edition.

Edit edit: And I just noticed that my CPU Usage is at 100%. I only have IE, AIM and msn messenger running. @_@
    Mr Thou! Mr Thou!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Doesn't it show what's using all those CPU cycles in the task manager? It should show how much CPU each process is using. Maybe not in Home, just in Pro? Don't know. Does any program other than that one fail to open like that? If not then maybe it's just a sucky program.

You could always reinstall Windows.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Whenever something weird is happening with my XP Home I always do a Windows Update first to see if that helps. Sometimes it does.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Unne
    Doesn't it show what's using all those CPU cycles in the task manager? It should show how much CPU each process is using. Maybe not in Home, just in Pro? Don't know. Does any program other than that one fail to open like that? If not then maybe it's just a sucky program.

You could always reinstall Windows.
    The Applications list was empty. But I ended up looking at the Processes list and it showed three files taking up 30% each, so I just ended them. They turned out to be the flash program. I don't really understand why they were in that list, but not the other, but I got it fixed. o_o
    Mr Thou! Mr Thou!

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Maybe you're being impatient with the install and not giving it a chance to start up properly - some installation programs are lame like that Or it may just never install

The processes tab will show everything if you've got admin rights. The applications tab only shows stuff that has a window and a button in the taskbar - in other words, that tab is mostly useless. It doesn't really give any useful information either, the stuff like memory usage and CPU usage is on the processes tab too.
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I click like crazy when things aren't responding correctly, and I really shouldn't do it. As Arche has said, give the programs a minute or two to respond before you do anything too hasty.
    "As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Baloki Kyuu (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I had the same problem with Yuri's revenge, it would not seem to have loaded yet take up CPU power, then I changed it so it was working as if it was Windows 98 and now it works fine.

Try going to Start>Programs>Accessories>Program Compatability Wizard

See if that does anything...
    FOA

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Arche
    Maybe you're being impatient with the install and not giving it a chance to start up properly - some installation programs are lame like that Or it may just never install
    I dunno, I let the installer do it's thing. It asked me if I wanted to open the program when I was done installed. I said yes, and then waited. But it works now (kinda) so oh well?

I'll try what baloki said.
    Mr Thou! Mr Thou!