Thread: ¡Sabor latino! Or "how stupid is my country?"

Unpostmodernizeable Shadow Nexus's Avatar

Default ¡Sabor latino! Or "how stupid is my country?"

OK, so I have no idea if this only would happen in Spain or if it is common.

OK, so this is a thing that happened last week. Basically, we got the parliment, there the people suposed (suposed) to represent us sit on and vote what laws pass and what laws do not. Then you got all the debates exposing arguments for this, that, against this or against that. Yes, a zoo, basically. And the members do get nice salaries, paid from our pockets, of course.

OK, so now, here's the little anecdote: When the session at the parliment was set a few days ago, the members were supposed to be there voting for or against some laws. Of course, the defenders of such law had to go there to defend it. The nice surprise? The moderators and most of the members were not there! In fact, there where like two or three people there. Literally. And the camera filming such a pathetic scene.

The reason? The match of the Eurocup was being played, with Spain in it, of course. The timing matched with the parliment working time. The solution? Just don't attend to the parliment, after all, it's only the laws of the country the ones we are approving or dismissing.

OK, as always, this kind of things are rather common here. People just poked fun of it, smiled, made a nice rolleyes :rolleyes2 and said "Well, this is Spain after all!".

OK...if this ever happened in your country, do you think there would be a reaction against it or people would just point and laugh at the idiocy of the parliment members while expressing their indignation in a simple "this is Spain, it's supposed to be stupid like this"?

If this happened in my country i would be pissed...

I suppose it's easier to make law after knowing if you owe money to your bookie.

Sports are probably a very big part of bringing the world together, so I'm not really surprised that this took place.

One major reason the NFL plays mostly on the weekends is because so many businesses and government departments would be missing customers/employees since they'd be home watching. It happens everywhere I suppose.

Take care all.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If it happened in the US, it would be made fun of on all the late-night talk shows for a minimum of two weeks and Michael Moore would make a documentary about it. It would also be a common topic for water-cooler conversations for probably a week or two.

Being in Congress is like watching C-SPAN. The boringest channel next to the Weather Channel. But hey they only did it for one day, they probably need a break, ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by noname
    But hey they only did it for one day, they probably need a break, ya know?
    A break??? I have been at a session of the parliment, and they do absolutely nothing! They read the newspaper, chat between them while the law is being read...

Hewh, funny thing is I went with the school some years ago. After the session, the teacher directed to us and said:

"Well, democracy is not meant to be like this, of course...but this is Spain"

I'd be shocked, but not too surprised. I'll refrain from any anti-american nonsense, as some are probably too sensitive to take it for the levity which would've been at it's heart. But, I'd probably be most annoyed with that fact that sports aren't near as important as a government's decisions on running a country, so I'd think if a government did that, it's might not be a bad idea to recheck it's priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Graves
    so I'd think if a government did that, it's might not be a bad idea to recheck it's priorities.
    Goverment? Heh...it's not the goverment....it's all the political parties, in the goverment or in the oposition. They all agree on the fact football is important.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

OOC:[q="Shadow Nexus"]Goverment? Heh...it's not the goverment....it's all the political parties, in the goverment or in the oposition. They all agree on the fact football is important.[/q]

Not to be demeaning to you or graves, but I think you are working with two definitions of government. In the US, the government refers to all elected officials (opposition and in power), not the European way of only refferring to the in party in power as the government.
    Grab the opportunities life hands you, that's my motto!