Thread: Strangely Accented Cait Sith

Default Strangely Accented Cait Sith

im still trying to figure out why cait sith is talking like a hillbillie later in the game......anyone figure it out?
    It sucks to live in New Jersey, belive me....

i had no idea cait sith talked like a hillbilly...

I think that was part of the mistranslation where Cait Sith is (SPOILER)Reeve. My guess is in the English version, (SPOILER)Reeve would slip into the southern talk, and that's where Scarlet and Heidgegger figure out his identity. Apparently it worked better in the Japanese version.

I will do this. Nothing in my life matters except this. No moment in my life exists except this moment. I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment.

Jenova!!! I highlighted that paragraph and there was a spoiler and I read it, thanks for spoiling it for me. ing asshole.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Jenova.Rebirth has it right.

Here's how it worked...
    Or how it was supposed to work.
    (SPOILER)Cait Sith speaks in a rural accent, quite distinctive. This is the 'hillbilly' accent he uses more often, later in the game. Reeve, however, speaks in a very reserved and formal way. Then, just before the Sister Ray is used, Reeve's in a fluster, controlling Cait Sith and trying to argue with Scarlet and Heidegger as well, and he accidentally slips into his "Cait Sith voice", which is what prompts Barret's comment, "you're busted, Reeve!"

But yeah, apparently it works better in the Japanese script. Pity, really, since it's quite a clever idea. Maybe if the English translation got a few more tweaks...

Or voice acting! *imagines Rufus's voice*

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Yeah, more tweaks would be good. I can't for the life of me figure out what Aeris and Cloud are trying to say to each other outside the Honeybee Inn.

i never would of thoght of that, thanks big d
    It sucks to live in New Jersey, belive me....

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Jenova.Rebirth has it right.

Here's how it worked...
    Or how it was supposed to work.
    (SPOILER)Cait Sith speaks in a rural accent, quite distinctive. This is the 'hillbilly' accent he uses more often, later in the game. Reeve, however, speaks in a very reserved and formal way. Then, just before the Sister Ray is used, Reeve's in a fluster, controlling Cait Sith and trying to argue with Scarlet and Heidegger as well, and he accidentally slips into his "Cait Sith voice", which is what prompts Barret's comment, "you're busted, Reeve!"

But yeah, apparently it works better in the Japanese script. Pity, really, since it's quite a clever idea. Maybe if the English translation got a few more tweaks...
    i was gonna bump this thread because the thread title made me laugh but i actually learned something new here!! very cool!!!!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

scottish voices are weird
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

There are a lot of things about FF7's translation that I'm still trying to figure out.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

This bothered me immensely in my last playthrough. It’s only there for one line. VII’s localization was pretty disastrous overall.