Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FF1 Party Reviews

FF1 Party Reviews

Okay, this topic is for the suggestion of parties in FF1. Please include what you would think would be the most ideal party for beginners, experienced players, the most fun, etc. But most importantly, include what you think is the optimum party for beating the game easiest. Also, include who gets the Masamune.

Fighter- The fighter is a given for me; he has high equipability of those only-one items and has a great attack and defense. Make sure the Knight is equipped with all the white magic that the white mae lacks and other useful white magic.

Black Belt- The Black Belt may suck in the beginning, but he has an incredible attack power just a little into the game. He is a late bloomer, but definately worth the while for his insane attack power. People complain about his lack of magic, but I just use things like the black shirt, etc. to deal damage to enemies if magic is needed.

White Mage- The White Mage is one of the most important characters. She has life spells and healing spells and can survive in the back row somewhat easily if you have her properly equipped.

Here is my dillema... Red or Black Mage? For beginners, definately use the red mage. Equip him with the Masamune and teach him all the black magic he can learn. Fill any holes with good white magic. Give him the Masamune!! His attack just plain sucks in the end of the game!

If you are more expirienced, use a black mage. Buy all the spells you need with him, such as Nuke and any others that you want. Either equip BM or WM with the Masamune. If your style is to constantly have WM use enhancement magic on all the party or heal (i suggest not investing in any magic that can be used through an item if playing origins once you get the item), then give it to BM. If BM only uses magic, give it to WM.
    Sword Chucks, yo!

Black belt, Fighter, White mage, Black mage=Ultimate party.

Quote Originally Posted by Sword Chucks
    Okay, this topic is for the suggestion of parties in FF1. Please include what you would think would be the most ideal party for beginners, experienced players, the most fun, etc. But most importantly, include what you think is the optimum party for beating the game easiest. Also, include who gets the Masamune.
    Best Party for Beginners would have to be a Fighter/Red Mage/?/?
    The last 2 choices are whatever you want. I suggest a Black Belt and Thief.

Best party for experienced players - Whatever you do good with. I like Fi/Th/BB/Rm. Some people like Fi/Fi/Fi/Rm (great party but too boring).

The Most Fun - Fi/Th/BB/Rm or Fi/Fi/Th/Rm
    I usually give the Red Mage the Masmune

Best High lvl party - 4 Black Belts or 4 Knights. Both are unstoppable.

Worst Party W/O class change - 4 Thieves

Worst Party with class change - 4 White Mages

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mage FF1
    Best Party for Beginners would have to be a Fighter/Red Mage/?/?
    The last 2 choices are whatever you want. I suggest a Black Belt and Thief.
    Best party for experienced players - Whatever you do good with. I like Fi/Th/BB/Rm. Some people like Fi/Fi/Fi/Rm
    The Most Fun - Fi/Th/BB/Rm or Fi/Fi/Th/Rm
    The problem with those parties (at least for me) is the lack of balance. I always need a party with two combats and two mages. There are many many circumstances in which a mage is necessary, and low level magic/item magic simply won't cut it. Take slimes for instance (I think its them...); they are incredibly defensive against physical blows. But magic is the weakness and key to success. Another thing is the utter decrease in tactics involved, which is essentially a handicap. Without great magic, all you can really do is hit "attack." But magic has the thrill of learning what is good on what enemies and what isn't. Knowing this is the key to ripping apart any enemy in the game. And that is also why I am not against a Red Mage (although two of them seems a little bit superfluous).
    Sword Chucks, yo!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I have only taken two parties. Fighter, Thief, Black Mage, White Mage, and Fighter, Black Belt, Red Mage, White Mage. I have not had much trouble with either. I think as long as you have a Fighter and White Mage you should be ok, but for a beginner I reccommend a Thief for running (plus Ninja is super). I think the RM is better at the beginning but the BW is much more useful later on so it's a draw.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Fighter, Black Belt, Red Mage, White Mage. One of the best parties you can take, and everything is balanced nicely. The Fighter and the Black Belt provide the physical power, and the Red Mage delivers about 90% of the Black Magic you'll ever need, and the White Mage, well....that's pretty obvious. When the Red Mage becomes a Wizard, he adds even more strength.

Ph3ear my FF1 Mod BlkWiz! Marak's Avatar

But most importantly, include what you think is the optimum party for beating the game easiest. Also, include who gets the Masamune.
    Well, I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

I love being a turtle!

No, no, no! What I meant to say is, the BEST Party in the game is EITHER:

Fighter, Fighter, Fighter, Red Mage OR

Fighter, Fighter, Fighter, White Mage

3 of the most broken character class, that deals the most damage for the first half of the game (when it counts the most), takes the least damage from everything, and has the most HP for the first 2/3 of the game (when they count the most). In fact, 4 Fighters is the best Party up until you attempt the final dungeon; but you really need the Red/White Mage at that point, as they offer you:
    *extra Cure/Heal spells;
    *Mass Damage, whether it be Fire/Ice/Bolt spells or Harm/Dia and Fade/Holy spells;
    *Elemental Defense, via A(Null)Fire/Ice/Bolt spells and WALL. Especially important in the non-NES versions where Chaos has double HP and he WILL nail you with those really powerful elemental spells he has at his disposal.

Trust me here, I tried to beat the game with a Party of 4 Knights, and Chaos just laughed at them. Sure, if I powered them up past Level 19 I could probably beat the game rather easily with them, but I just think that throwing in that one Mage for Mass Damage capability (4 Fighters vs. a group of 9 Undead = take a nap and come back) makes the Party much more viable overall - it can handle groups much more readily when you've got a Mage to back up the invincible Fighters. Not to mention that both the Red and White Mages have access to LIFE. This is also very important, especially if you're playing a Low Level game.

Yeah, I'm done ranting for now. Fighters are broken; the more you have, the better your Party will be.
    No profanity in sigs please.
    Sigh. What profanity? I quoted Sephex's post from Eyes on Each Other from about a year ago, and any "profanity" in his post was either **** or ***** anyway. Whatever. And you wonder why forum traffic is way down.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder
    I have only taken two parties. Fighter, Thief, Black Mage, White Mage, and Fighter, Black Belt, Red Mage, White Mage. I have not had much trouble with either. I think as long as you have a Fighter and White Mage you should be ok, but for a beginner I reccommend a Thief for running (plus Ninja is super). I think the RM is better at the beginning but the BW is much more useful later on so it's a draw.
    Yup, me too. Only those two parties, though I might mix it up later.
    Sword Chucks, yo!

I don't like to use more than one from each class. Because I'm picky like that. I use,

Fighter, White Mage, Red Mage, Black Belt

Fighter slashes people with his immense swords, and sometimes throws items at his teammates in need.
    White Mage heals people, and occasionally attempts to beat people with his hammer.....you know.....when there's nothing else to do.
    Red Mage does a little healing, but mainly manages Black Magic.
    Black Belt destroys people with his ultimate fist attacks. Thats all he does. I'm pretty sure the only thing Black Belt knows is killing.

Eternal Challenge Seeker BBman108's Avatar

4 Red mages is very fun, though costly

Blog Entries

For beginners, I'd say that the best party is the same best party that there is. Fighter/Thief/WM/BM. That party utilizes all the resources that the game has to offer, and it gives a completeness to all the options weaponwise and ability-wise in the game. Without a Thief, nobody can use the Katana, Need Fighter for the X-cal pure mages for lv. 8 magic...
    In this game, the masmune is probably up for wither the Ninja or the White Mage. The White Mage can be a good fighter later, so I usually give it to her. But the Ninja still isn't that much of a killer with the Katana, certainly not against Chaos, anyway, so I might just give the weapon to him.

By running from every damn thing I could, I beat the game at lv. 14 with this party: Fighter/Fighter/Thief/RM. (Note: I was at the ToF by lv. 12, but there's so many monsters in there that can't be run from, and lv. 12 is so low, that I couldn't get to Chaos without leveling friggin' twice)
    That, therefore is the strongest party ever. It excels so well so fast that it's remarkably untouchable. RM gets the Masmune, as should always, here, btw.

Fighters dominate Final Fantasy. The sole purpose of a mage is to cast Fir2 or HRM2 when there's a massive squad of undead. Or healing.
    But basicalle, the Thief and Fighter get spells like Heal and Fast later on, so mages aren't extremely important.
    So what am I getting at?
    Mostly that mage parties are the best for experienced players because it's harder to keep them alive, and their versatility makes the game more fun and interesting.

So... 4 BMs. Or, my favorite, because it's easy, yet still difficult sometimes, RM/WM/BM/BM
    Those would be good parties for practiced players.

Of course, some of us idiots go through the game with unclass changed solo fighters and such...
    I've only ever done it with solo unclass changed fighter... But I'm going to plunge in and try it with a thief or wm soon.

Black Belts probably make for extremely powerful parties at higher levels, but I don't use them anyhow. They're boring. The most exciting moment I had with a BB was this one time when Kraken didn't kill him. But even that wasn't extremely exciting.

I talk way too much. It's amazing to see how many people like the game as much as I do here. Crazy. I thought that I was a freak. I mean, I am, but I thought I was alone. Hi!

Edit Note: When I go with only a single character, that's the one who gets the Masmune!
    Last edited by Martyr; 07-11-2004 at 07:04 AM.

since I first played FF1 in 1992 or 3, I think I've played almost every combination of classes from 4 the default party to solo theif and solo whitemage.
    but my favorite and in my opinion best party, is Fi/Fi/Wm/Bm.
    For the final fight, I usually give the Masamune the White Wizard, because she has to do something while she's not healing. The Knights do just fine with the Excalibur and the Defense?(haven't played in awhile) Sword. Then of course Black Wizard sits back and nukes Chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfire
    since I first played FF1 in 1992 or 3, I think I've played almost every combination of classes from 4 the default party to solo theif and solo whitemage.
    but my favorite and in my opinion best party, is Fi/Fi/Wm/Bm.
    For the final fight, I usually give the Masamune the White Wizard,

Inspired you to do it did I? Heh, I thought it was impossible.[/Sarcasm]

Have any proof!?!....

JK.
    Last edited by Black Mage FF1; 12-17-2004 at 07:24 PM.

well no, I don't have videos or screenshots of it. that's because I did those two solo missions along with Black Belt (the most boring one) on Origins. I tried on NES first, but the slowness and ineffectives(this doesn't matter THAT much) were boring the hell out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfire
    well no, I don't have videos or screenshots of it. that's because I did those two solo missions along with Black Belt (the most boring one) on Origins. I tried on NES first, but the slowness and ineffectives(this doesn't matter THAT much) were boring the hell out of me.

I was just kidding about the proof. O_o Dont you remember me? The guy who proved the whole FF1-4 board wrong, that a solo thief is possible and I beat it? BTW I did the solo thief on the PSX too. Not that hard, considering that Saber actually works.