This is it. It all begins here.
    EVOLUTION

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I haven't played any of the others, but Breath of Fire III is a damn good game.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

You really need to elaborate, which Breath of Fire game are you talking about? If I remember correctly, there's I-IV, and then Dragon Quarter. I've only played II, and it was decent. I heard Dragon Quarter sucked though.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It is quite good! II is my least favorite, even though a lot of people think it is the best. III and IV are awesome, III especially and I is classic. Stay away from V though.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I have only played BoF 1 and 3 and both of those games are GREAT! So if it is one of those, then yes you should buy it.

Eoff + Fabio = Win Lord Chainsaw's Avatar

I've played and finished Breath of Fire I-IV (haven't started DQ yet, that's my summer project)

I can tell you that they are some fine games.

I have to start by saying that Breath of Fire II is the absolute best in the series. To this day, Breath of Fire II probably remains as my 4th favorite game of all time. I is a classic, but just not as good. III is good, probably the second best (I take off points from 3 because of a few annoying segments of the game, namely a certain Desert of Death near the end.)

II has my favorite story, and my favorite characters. My absolute most favorite character from the Breath of Fire series happens to be the villain from II, Evan. He's so evil that (SPOILER)He turns your entire party into ice cubes and breaks them into pieces before the final fight. He is the son of the goddess from Breath of Fire I, and is really supposed to be Satan. He does this to prove the difference between your strength and the strength of God. Of course, you can bring back the memory of your friends to help fight the final battle, since Evan is invincible if you take him on with only the hero.

This is also one of the first games that I can remember playing that deals with the evils of religion. The church of "St. Eva" in Breath of Fire 2 is actually an evil cult bent on bringing Satan out of hell. The ministers take people and throw them into prisons until they lose their mind and start praising Satan. That's some powerful stuff.

Now of course, the other Breath of Fires can't quite match that, but they're still good. Except 4. I don't like Breath of Fire 4. People like 4 just because of Fou Lu, who they consider a badass. Take Fou Lu out of Breath of Fire 4 and no one would like it. I don't like the art style in that game or the battle system. The characters also don't have the charm that other characters in previous entries had.

Overall I do recommend these games. They're extremely good. If I had to rate them:

Breath of Fire 7/10
    Breath of Fire 2 9.5/10
    Breath of Fire 3 8.10
    Breath of Fire 4 5/10

To hell with Battletoads and Double Dragon.
    THIS is the ultimate team.

People don't like Breath Of Fire V : Dragon Quarter because they're horrible, horrible people.

And you don't understand it, it's great fun, and the dragon form is almost totally invincible, just because you can't handle the fact that it's limited in use, you philistines.

One and two are great, but two has terrible translation.

Never played three and four, but heard that three is fetch-quest hell.

Can't do anything the easy way, terrible shame.

Eoff + Fabio = Win Lord Chainsaw's Avatar

I don't know about III being fetch-quest hell, but it can be VERY annoying at times.

You'll go through an entire dungeon and reach the end. At the end of the dungeon there will be a door that only a certain party member can open. If you didn't bring them along you must backtrack all the way out and put them in your party to continue on. The Desert of Death is also one of the most annoying parts in any game ever.

It does have some great superbosses though. II, III, and IV all have optional enemies that are challenging beyond the last boss. II has the N.Rider and the King Sludge, III has the Arch Mage and the Berserker (Berserker is MUCH harder than Arch Mage despite the Mage's 1200 heal per round) and IV has the Rider who I have yet to beat.

I'm not certain if Dragon Quarter has any challenging enemies as I have not yet started it. If anyone knows anything as to whether or not they exist, that would be great.

To hell with Battletoads and Double Dragon.
    THIS is the ultimate team.

Bibbity-Bobbity-Whoops! Alusiasa's Avatar

I've only played Dragon Quarter, and I mostly like it because of its replay value. The more you play it, the more things you find out about the plot and characters. And if you're really stuck, just restart. With most of your equipment and money and stuff, it's not so difficult to get through the areas you beat the first time around.

In short, I like it, and really want to play the others.

A good friend will bail you out of jail. A best friend will be sitting next to you saying "Wasn't that FUN!?"