Thread: Is Poker A Sport?

Default Is Poker A Sport?

As all my fellow ESPN fans probably know, the World Series of Poker has begun to pop up on TV lately, seeming more and more each day. However, is poker, blackjack or any form of card game even a sport?

Take care all.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

not really, but gambling is a sport-related activity, so i can see the espn connection. also, they show stuff like the national spelling bee, which is equally competitive yet non-sport.

Since it's so awesome, I consider it a sport. The World Series of Poker has got to be the coolest thing on TV today, besides Rangers games.

It is a sport because by defintion, it's an active past time and recreation. However, gamblers, like NASCAR drivers and golfers are NOT athletes.

Lumberjack Recognized Member RSL's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh man, don't get me started on that racecar drivers aren't athletes bullcrap.

Poker isn't a sport in the traditional sense, but I can see why ESPN would air it. I have no interest in watching it on TV, as I would also not watch televised chess matches.

Poker is teh rawk.

Quote Originally Posted by RSL
    Oh man, don't get me started on that racecar drivers aren't athletes bullcrap.

Poker isn't a sport in the traditional sense, but I can see why ESPN would air it. I have no interest in watching it on TV, as I would also not watch televised chess matches.
    That's because they aren't. I know you're a fan of NASCAR, but telling me Tony Stewart is an athlete is a total smack in the face to Micahel Jordan or Wayne Gretzky.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Maybe you should ask Michael and Wayne what they think before you speak for them.

I don't consider poker a sport. It is a game. It takes quite a good deal of skill, but the physical activity is limited, and that's what I use to define sports.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder
    Maybe you should ask Michael and Wayne what they think before you speak for them.

I don't consider poker a sport. It is a game. It takes quite a good deal of skill, but the physical activity is limited, and that's what I use to define sports.
    Getting a straight answer out of them is hell, because they have all these sponsors and endorsements, they can't risk losing potential customers based on views that could offend people.

But I'm sure, I'd bet $100 on it, that they wouldn't define drivers as athletes. Otherwise my 50 year old 23% body fat 6'1" 230 lb. neighbor would be an athlete.

What about $5,000,000?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Remind me in 40 years to ask them when they're old and don't have to worry about endorcement deals so we can settle this bet.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm sure overweight 50 year olds win plenty of races.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I watched a few minutes of the WSOP this weekend. Those people work so hard. Sitting at a table, playing cards for 25 hours in two days. Oh my god. :rolleyes2

If that's a sport, and they are athletes, then all of us are athletes. I'm sure most of us have sat and played video games for 25 hours in the span of two days at least once in our lives. And that takes a lot more energy. Moving your fingers and hands. Card players just sit there and play cards..
    Mr Thou! Mr Thou!

Quote Originally Posted by Gau
    I watched a few minutes of the WSOP this weekend. Those people work so hard. Sitting at a table, playing cards for 25 hours in two days. Oh my god. :rolleyes2

If that's a sport, and they are athletes, then all of us are athletes. I'm sure most of us have sat and played video games for 25 hours in the span of two days at least once in our lives. And that takes a lot more energy. Moving your fingers and hands. Card players just sit there and play cards..
    You're forgetting that the definition of a sport never mentions the word "athlete." But that's the literal sense...and by that, Poker and even videogames are a sport.

The connotative defintion would throw Poker out as a sport, as well as videogames because they require little physical activity, endurance, and agility.

No its not, because you see people moviing cards and chips and WOW exciting. Its just as exciting as clicking the remote buttons, or better yet walking. But when 5 million is involved well yeah, there high stakes right there, and so its intresting.