Thread: Turning a band into a professional band

Default Turning a band into a professional band

Anyone done it before? Tried to do it before? Any suggestions?

www.mytwofriends.com

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Do you mean, going from an independent and self-publishing band and getting signed up to a major recording company?

I'm cynical, so I think the process goes like this...

1) Change your music so it's still unique, but not too different from every other 'famous' pop/rock group

2) Acquire a sufficient number of female band members who match the media stereotype known as "hot". Either that, or ensure that your male band members never wear shirts during performances.

3) Get noticed and hired by a record company exec.

4) Remove all traces of uniqueness and begin to conform totally to "what the market wants".

-end cynicism-

In all seriousness, I think that success comes to those get noticed for the right things. I like the look of your band, a good combination of instruments not often seen in the "mainstream", certainly a change from the typical format of young male bands. Looking at your website, I see a lot I like in your descriptions.
    As you perform more often, you'll get more noticed; in time, you may get hired to perform at venues for certain events, then maybe as a warm-up act for a bigger gig, and then finally as the main event. I've seen other bands rise to fame this way.
    A band that's well-known and well-respected before getting signed up by a producer probably has an even better chance of retaining maximum control over what they record, and how their art develops over time.

A good question. There're lots of ways. Iron Maiden, for example, were able to build such a huge fanbase that the one thing they put out on their own, the limited edition "Soundhouse tapes" became highly sought after by the national music stores. Others go to auditions. But the most usual manner is to research which record labels have acts similar to yours on them, and send them demo's. Always have a gig set up so they can come see you perform live. Give them free entry or something.

You'll need an information pack. In this, you need photos of each band member, a history of the band, a CD... more or less the standard press kit. On a demo, choose three of your own songs, your best three, and use them. Listening to the two you have on your site, "Oceans" is far and away the one that's more likely to get peoples attention.

Get a radio DJ to plug your band too; send press kits to the radio stations, and see if they'll add you to their playlist or get one of the DJ's to play you. I work on student radio during the academic year and last year we got a fair few unsigned bands doing this. We'll listen to each artist, and play the ones we like during our 8pm-midnight slots weekdays, or any time weekend. Depends on the DJ by and large.

Make sure you play regularly and build a good size fan base, who sell out any place you go to. People will want your band back if their business is booming whenever you play. Having a good size audience when the record execs decide to come see you will also impress them, ESPECIALLY if the audience is having a good time.

And you'll need a lot of luck. I can try and get you some air time on the student radio statoin next year if you send me a press kit at your own expense (we're off air for the summer holidays; back on in September). It's a UK station, but we do also broadcast online. PM me if you're interested in that and we can arrange something.

Other than that, there's not a lot I can say. You'll need someone to review your work, and I haven't heard enough to give a full review.
    What is life? What seperates the greats from the almost greats? Is it skill? Power? Luck?

Or is it the fact they won?

Thanks for the responses so far. The band has released an EP consisting of six songs, and we're currently distributing 1000 copies to vendors in the Berkeley area. We're also selling them on the site for $5 each.

Cuchullain, I'm not sure what exactly a press kit is. I can send you a CD, but what else goes along with it? Is it the "information pack"? (Rereading your post, yes, yes it is. ) I also want to spread more of the music around in mp3 format, and I recently tried calling Apple Public Relations to see how to get about on iTunes downloads (no response yet). But at the same time, I don't want to spread around all the songs, because we need to sell some of the CDs. The label the band is on is kinda makeshift, created by my friend as a front for selling the CDs. Is getting a DJ to play your stuff as easy as just calling them and sending them an info kit? And aside from calling up record execs, how can you attract their attention? Is it just as easy as sending them stuff, or should they be present at gigs? Gigs are kinda hard to do with college going on and everything for these guys.

Big D: The band has generated some attention in the Berkeley area, winning Best Band of Berkeley 2004 as well as performing (although less often as they should) at small venues in the Berkeley area. Bigger gigs seem in order to generate more fanbase, but it is the summer for these folks, so it'll be difficult to get them together until the fall. How have the bands you've known fared since rising from obscurity?

Finally, something that should probably be clarified: I'm not a playing member of the band, I'm helping produce the band's work with my friend. So the whole publicity deal is what I'm working on.

And another band I'm less involved with as far as producing goes, but promote them all the same. www.augustusmusic.com They've gone a little farther, but are still small-time, I believe.

With record execs you need to get them to come see you perform live. That way they can see what sort of reactions you get and whether they can sell your records.

A press kit should have a bio of the band and each of the members, some pictures, some info on the tracks on the CD, etc. When we get new bands giving us stuff they post it all in together so we get the whole thing and can advise people of the sound and give them info, which might turn some more heads.

MP3 format songs are a good idea if you can host and sell them yourself. That soundclick.com site is good for getting noticed, but can't sell MP3's. Look for a site which will allow you to get all the money from each MP3.

The bands need to create a buzz that the record execs think they can use to sell records. That's the key. And some DJ's will play your stuff, some won't. It depends on the freedom the DJ has and if they like what they hear. I should be getting a show in September again, so I could guarantee the bands some airplay; when it would be is another matter, depending on the schedule, but student radio is a good way to go for new bands.
    What is life? What seperates the greats from the almost greats? Is it skill? Power? Luck?

Or is it the fact they won?

More or less, all the basics have been covered, but if I could add some things, firstly make sure that each member of the band is fully committed to going their all. This might sound obvious, but you'd be very surprised to hear what you fellow bandmates might say if you ask them. Always, always, always keep the lines of communication open. If your goal is to make music, then no one should be higher than anyone else or wield any more clout than another.

Be responsible as well. Many, many, many great talents have been lost before they could develop or tap all the potential they possessed because of things such as alcohol, drugs, sex, and greed. I'm not saying live the life of a complete hermit, but also realize that one false move could mean the end of a lot, so never take risks you can't justify.

To be more on the sunny side, figure out your strengths as musicians. If you have a great guitar player, and a not so great drummer, perhaps make the guitar the focus of most of the music. Don't be afraid to voice your opinion on matters such as this. Sure, be kind to one another, but it is a jungle out there and you need to always put your best foot forward.

Finally, and probably toughest of all, find your messages and your own personal creed with regards to music. If you can remain true to yourself and your reasons for making music in the first place, then you'll never be wronged or make a product you're ashamed to plug. Don't be sucked into the world of hardball and popular culture mass production, but rather stick with what you want to do and stay the course.

Best of luck in whatever happens.

Take care all.

Blog Entries

Megami and I used to have a band but it didn't turned that well, I'd liek to have a band to sing or just have my lycris published. I wouldn't get very confortable like concerts or smth else!

Now you're mentioning that I think that I'll invite her to make a new band!

Captain,

Yeah, the band just had a discussion and they're all college guys with other plans - you know, some want to be doctors, engineers, etc. Only our lead singer and guitarist has no plans in particular (the wanderer... what a life). But over what time the band has together in school, I still think it would be worth it to try getting CDs out there on the market. Besides, even if the rest of the band doesn't play after school and Brian (our frontman) does, the band's output will serve as a springboard for him - so there is a practical motive as well. As I said, I don't serve as an instrument player on the band, but more of a producer kind of guy.

Cuchullain,

Thanks for the tips, man - we're working on getting press kits together and such, and planning bigger shows. Sometimes, it's just tough to figure out where to start.

im not in a band yet, but what i hear from people in bands is one thing. play often. play almost every night. get noticed on the local scene. playing alot will make you better musicians, and give you an idea of how to move forward. if you are at least somewhat good and you play enough you should develope a small local following. keep it up after that and it should be all uphill. (sorry if this has been mentioned before, im far to lazy to read any posts right now. sorry.)