Thread: "Weird" parties that actually worked

Default "Weird" parties that actually worked

Today I was leveling at Garlaige Citadel. There wasn't much to choose from when you make a party, so we ended up having a party of THREE thiefs, a warrior, red mage and white mage.

It surprised me how well it worked. One thf had war sub job and others had ninja. It worked fine when thf with war sub pulled with provoke, ran to camp and provoked again, so that one thf could sneak attack + trick attack behind warrior. After that warrior provokes and I sneak+trick behind voking thief. After I sa+ta, thief infornt of me gets behind me and does the same. At this point, warrior has enough hate so we ALL thiefs can make a line, and the one who has done sa+ta combo moves in the lead of that line. It looked weird and funny and it worked. It was definately a good experience and I got almost two levels in that party 'till I had to logout.

So, this topic is about parties that are far from ideal on paper, but somehow you just could make it work much better than the odds are.
    ('-'*)/ - "sup"

Yea i had some wierd parties that worked out great, but only on certain mobs.

Valkurm Beta:

5 WARs me 1 WHM, all they did was trade provokes...like WAR 1 provokes....loses hate and then WAR 2 will...and then WAR 3 will and alternate off that making it so i only cure so many WARs at one time. Kinda funny, wasnt fastest party but...it was actually soso.

Crawler's Nest:

MNK, MNK, WHM, SMN, BRD, RDM

Yea what a wierd combo..the lead MNK bought DEF gear and ate DEF food, and actually took the hate well with only provoke and WSs to take hate. It was still slower than the standard party, but it wasnt that bad either...i guess MNKs are capable of tanking, just certain mobs only. Love thier high HP now.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

We had a SMN, THF, DRG, DRK, BLM, MNK which I found to be weird as the DRG was tanking. It worked wonders, we got around 6k experience in an hour, that was around 2 levels worth (yeah Valkurm...). That was a pretty fun party now that I think about it.

Crawlers nest, we were a level 35 party. We had...
    BLM + BLM + BLM + WHM + PLD + NIN

I was the white mage and I hardly had to use my MP at all, the BLMs were all spread out and the PLD and NIN took the hate pretty good. We were going up to Chain #4.

Omecle i find it kinda hard to see how you can gain 6000 exp per hour..at higher lvls at most you can get is 5000 or 5500 max...becuase the limited about of mobs and also your party set up doesnt really look like it would last too many rounds without resting...you sure its 6K an hour? O_o

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

I'm not positive, it could have been 4k per hour, and yes there was no down time what-so-ever, I can assure you that.

Ya I've several parties (since becoming bard) with no downtime, only limit on our exp is there's no monsters around cause thier dead from us or someone else took them.

But ya weird parties I've been in, I've been in a lot of strange ones in Qufim, I can hardly even rememebr them. But we once had a party that was BRD, PLD, WAR, BLM, THF(yup just 5) So our healer was my paeons and the PLD's limited healing power. Surprizingly enough we made about 3000 in a hour, although surprizingly enough despite having 5 people we did well, actually 6 people made us worse (then again our sixth always was a n00b, hardcore n00b, like a RDM who refused to rest for MP, or a RNG who said it was BRD's job to pull)

Also I was once in a party of WAR, WAR, WAR, WAR, PLD, DRK. I wasn't in it for long, but we managed to kill a giant with little effort. Overall it was just a damage factory.

Well that's all I can remember that I've been in that was wierd.
    This space intentionally left blank.

[QUOTE=Bahamut2000X]or a RNG who said it was BRD's job to pull)
    [QUOTE]

That's hilarious. :laugh:
    ('-'*)/ - "sup"

I have yet to have a Ranger in my party that actually pulled. They either begged not too, or simply refused because they hate it. Egh.

In my most successful party, the Qufim party that took me 3 levels in a session (a current record), we had no real tank. A monk and a samurai in their standard orange and black kung-fu outfits were doing the job. The rest of the party consisted of myself-the white mage, a black mage, and some other classes that don't stand out. The party is only noteworthy because it had no tank. It was hell for me as a whm to keep those meleers healed. My mp was running like water.

Compare that to the Yuhtunga Jungle party I just had, where the Ninja blink tank and the paladin were so well coordinated in passing off hate, that my only real job was casting regen on the tank, and occasionally tossing a cure to wake people from the mandy's aoe sleep. I felt so spoiled. The tanks were so good, (especially the ninja) that I wasn't even necessary. And that is a first. I'm typically the player people wait on to continue fighting. There was no waiting in this pt. Sadly, I only gained two levels in this party, as it was relatively short lived once the ninja announced her departure.
    Knock yourselves down.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

4 WHM, 1 BLM, 1 WAR

We just did all of our healing right before the WAR voked in order to avoid getting hate. I did some nuking with Banish, too.

Star gone! Shadow Staffer Recognized Member eternalshiva's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Umm... Garlaige Citadel ---> 4 Red Mages, one Dark Knight and one paladin, we kicked arse :P no one died :P Best pt I've had in a while.
    Too big.

Yeah, a good tank can make a huge difference. It's always great to have pld or ninja blink tank in your party.
    ('-'*)/ - "sup"

I don't know if you would call this the wierdest party ever but it worked like a Top. There were 2 ninjas, 1Sam, 2 theifs and myself at the time a War. we were in Kazham, around lv 26. Anyway I was a little concerned seeing as I was main healer (actually the only healer) with my rdm sub on, a whopping 42ish mp, but we kicked arse. We chained mandys no problem with minimal downtime. Between 2 Utsusemis, 2 sneak attacks and people who know how to do a SC, I could not believe how well it worked. Goes to show you can pt without waiting 2 hours for a white mage to show up