Thread: Baseball Halfway Report

Default Baseball Halfway Report

OK, since I'm on another Rangers high, like I was at the end of April, I have to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain
    If the Rangers are in first at the end of June, then I can see things turning around for you. Honestly, the best team in Texas is still the Astros.
    Well, good so far.

Face it: The Rangers are in first place right now, and that's a miracle by two regards: they're so incredibly young, and they are the most injured team in baseball. Yeah, that's right. Statistically the most injured. They're yet to play with their full lineup this year, which was supposed to be :

C Gerald Laird
    He tore a ligament in his thumb in early May, but is expected back in a few weeks. He was on his way to an AL Rookie of the Year.
    1B Mark Teixeira
    Struggled early but has been scary lately. He's gotten his average up to nearly .280 and is crushing the ball. His future as a cleanup hitter is starting to be more clear.
    2B Alfonso Soriano
    He started the All-Star game, but his offensive numbers, mainly doubles and RBIs, are not what I expected. He isn't stealing bases either. He's been both brilliant and horrible defensively.
    SS Michael Young
    My first half AL MVP. He is a selfless leader, a clutch hitter, and a wonderful defensive player. A fluke player doesn't lead the ML in hits.
    3B Hank Blalock
    He is one hell of a player. His 60-some-odd RBIs come from the 2-hole in the batting order. He will be something to watch one day.
    LF Brian Jordan
    He was the Rangers' biggest free-agent signing, but he hasn't been healthy. Screw his .110 batting average, everybody knows he's better than that. Once he gets healthy, which will hopefully be by August, he'll be able to be the cleanup hitter this year that the Rangers expected for him to be.
    CF Laynce Nix
    This guy will be good. Very good. He just recently got off the DL, and he is quickly rounding back into form. He is a dangerous hitter in the 6th or 7th spot.
    RF Kevin Mench
    When he gets playing time he is impressive. He shows power, contact, and speed. A great #7 or 8 hitter.
    DH Brad Fullmer
    A disappointment. I'm not sure what the issue is, either. He's healthy, and everybody knows he's a close to .300 guy.

The pitching staff this half:
    P Kenny Rogers
    If you ignore his less than stellar performance against the Red Sox (well, who hasn't sucked against the Sox lately?), he has been consistent this season. The leader of an average rotation
    P Ryan Drese
    He could be the biggest surprise this season for the Rangers. He is a solid #2 guy, turning in quality starts day after day.
    P Ricardo Rodriguez
    He started the season on the DL with assorted things, but just got back, and in 2 starts, is 2-0 with a 1.04 ERA. The guy has talent, no doubt about that, but it depends if he can stay healthy. A guy the Rangers need to pitch well in the second half.
    P Colby Lewis
    Was decent at the beginning of the year, but he's out for the long haul now. Sucks truly.
    P Chan Ho Park
    *sighs* nothing to say about him. I just don't get it. I JUST DON'T GET IT!
    R.A. Dickey
    Started the year great, then fell apart in June. His back had been hurting him, and I hope that that is what was keeping him from pitching well. Once he gets healthy and returns, he can be the #4 or 5 starter.
    P Joaquin Benoit
    Holy jeepers, this man frustrates me. He can be dominating or can suck like hell. I'm tired of it, and I want the Rangers to send him back to the minors.
    P Carlos Almanzar
    An effective setup man this year. A surprise, definitely.
    P Jeff Nelson
    He was supposed to be the setup man this year, but he got injured in May but will soon be back. Another key bullpen cog that will help the Rangers even more.
    P Frankie Francisco
    He has also been a surprise. He gave up a lead at Boston on Sunday, but other than that, he has been good. He's struck out everybody, it seems, this year.
    P Ron Mahay
    Effective as hell when he comes in. I've wanted to test him out as a starter this year, but Buck Showalter won't bite. The Rangers need another left handed starter.
    P Brian Shouse
    Good in limited time this year. A good pitcher. 'Nuff said.
    Francisco Cordero
    An All-Star. If he works in his slider more, he can be incredibly dominating, with a 97-100 mph fastball that makes people go "wheee!"

OK, that's enough for my review of the Rangers. Everybody said that they would fold by this point, but they haven't. It's about time that people respected them as a legitimate contender. Once they get several more pieces off the DL, they will be even better. They've got all this, and a great minor league system with some good future starting pitching that just isn't old enough yet. You wait 2 years, and this team is going to be great, once 1B Adrian Gonzalez, SS/DH Ian Kinsler (who is hitting .410) and Ps John Danks, Thomas Diamond, and John Hudgins come up. This team is deep, and just fun to watch. It's about time people realize that and start respecting them.

[u]Reviews of Divisions[u]

AL West
    The Rangers are on top, and for good reason. They have 11 more home than road games in the second half of the year, so they're in prime position to get a playoff spot if they keep up this miracle of a season. The A's have been on and off, as have the Angels. The Angels are more talented than the way they are playing. The Mariners...I just laught at.

AL Central
    I expect the White Sox to win it, for the sole reason that they picked up Freddie Garcia. He adds a key element to their starting pitching, and they have the offense to support it. Will be close, though, with Minnesota and Cleveland.

AL East
    Yankees will, sadly take it. Hate to say it, but once again, Boston will be the wild card, and the Yankees will be 1st in the AL. Pfff. *sleeps*

NL West
    This could be the closest division of them all, with the Padres, Giants, and Dodgers flipping out of 1st. No telling what could happen in the end.

NL Central
    The Cardinals will run away with this division. I have no doubt. They're too good. The Cubs may threaten slightly, but the Cardinals are just too talented.

NL East
    No "outstanding" teams in this division. I expect Philly to probably win it, but they're not gonna be anything great.

MY VOICE WILL BE HEARD!!

Wait... what was I saying before Del deleted my post?

Erm, oh yeah. Braves all the way. Just you wait?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Your midseason report looks a lot like the 'why the Ragers rule' report.

Texas is certainly a surprise and they have a great offense, but that staff isn't going to hold up long enough for them to win the west. The A's and Angels are both banged up and while Anaheim seems to always be injured, I expect Oakland to get healthy and go on an unstoppable run in August-September like they always do. Beane will make another deal to fit the puzzle together. It's certainly not as automatic as in recent years, since Texas is a young team that might make a break for it, but I don't think it will happen. And as it turns out I hope it doesn't. Then there's Anaheim and it's anybody's guess what that team will do. They came out of nowhere in '02 to win it all, kind of like Florida did. And Arizona... Do I sense a pattern here? Maybe Texas will win it...I'm scared.

prinz - if you don't have anything constructive to say, well use your best logic to finish that sentence.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Well, the first half of this season has been why the Rangers rule. It's an inevitable connection that you have to make (that was redundant, wasn't it?).

EDIT: But hey, atleast I mentioned the other teams this time.

Edit 2: Apparently my obsession with the Rangers' success has led me to scaring people off of AIM. I am a sad, sad individual. Good night, everyone.
    Last edited by Kirobaito; 07-14-2004 at 07:02 AM.

my baseball team sucks. in fact, all of the sports teams in arizona suck. thank god im not a sports fan.