Thread: Samurai questions

Default Samurai questions

hey, im new and have the game and everything but im waiting for my debit card to come in the mail so i can play =-/ but i need to know wut a good job goes with samurai and wut skills does a samurai have?

Well you can't be samurai at first since it's a advanced class. But generally it's best to play as what you want your samurai sub to be at first, I hear warrior or monks are the best subs for them (typically warrior though for provoke and such)

It really also depends on your style on which sub you go with for samurai as most melee tend to work out well with it.

Although you can find out more about samurais at ffvault.ign.com and check out the samurai forums they got there for more detailed stuff and also check out the actual samurai section for info on thier skills.
    This space intentionally left blank.

A MNK is kinda crappy i feel..besides Focus there is nothing good about it.

A SAM/WAR and a SAM/RNG(with a PROPERLY lvled archery) is a good combination by far compared to a MNK sub.

SAMs do good dmg at first, and can somewhat tank low lvls before 30, afterward, they are skillchain masters and trick attack buddies. Third Eye makes Trick Attack more viable/safe, and Meditate gives you more TP and gradually increases unlike when it is subbed. They as they go higher, have bad accuracy, and need to focus on Acc/DEX gear. It is also recommended to have a Skillchain chart ready at all times, and you need to know your Skillchain/Monster Element well to be a prime SAM.

Their power will lack at later levels, but fear not, a SAM does not do dmg on its own, but relies on their impressive TP gainage, to do more Skillchains ever battle, and therefore more Skillchain, more Magic Bursts which deal the bulk of the dmg. So they ultilize their abilities and cooperate with other party members and do more dmg that way than directly doing dmg. A good SAM, is a RDM with TP Refresh and a heavy hitter(in terms of Skilchain/Magic burst total dmg) in its own respect. A well-trained SAM, is formidable.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

I play SAM, it's my favorite job by far of all the ones I've tried, and Lionx has it all good here. TP, Chains, Trick Buddy, these are all things you had better like if you're going to play the job. As I like to put it, it's all about style. Gotta work well with others, gotta know when to use Med and when not to waste it, and yes, you most definately need to know your elements and skill chains (the chart from the Brady Games guide has all that info right in one handy spot, possibly the most useful part of the book for anyone ).

Among other things, it's interesting to note the peculiarities of the SAM AF armor. When wearing a full suit you gain a total of +7 Emnity. For an offensive class with low def you would probably consider this a bad thing, however the AF gloves also enhance (I should say almost double) the effect of eating riceballs, which gives a very significant boost to Vit... Now, I would never suggest that you tank, a PLD will always be better at it and there's usually more of them around than SAMs, but, if you were to take other people seriously who arrogantly insist that you do tank, you can at least take solace that it was in SE's original design for the Job... even if it wound up coming out completely different.

Yep, again, it's all about style. A THF, a SAM, and a BLM can truly lay waste to most mobs if they stop to blink, really quite disturbing when a well oiled team is on the job.

As for subs, RNG will definately help you do more damage with bows, and you'll get more Dex than you would with a WAR sub, albeit not much more. WAR on the other hand offers so much more diversity than swing shoot swing shoot. You get Beserk, Defender (Which you get after the time tanking is un-viable... but still, it can be handy), Warcry, Provoke (which is always handy in a tight spot, even if you're not the main tank), Double Attack (MORE TP!), Attack and Defensive passives, more HP, more Str... You can see why it's definately my choice of subs
    Last edited by Ichy; 07-20-2004 at 05:57 AM.

Just wanted to add that although Polearm are their second best weapon, dont bother...you dont get alot of TP back per hit and its not that useful anymore, pluse GKatana gives you the most TP back per hit more than any other weapon. Why bother?

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3