Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Newbies have feelings too, you know.

Unhappy Newbies have feelings too, you know.

I'm so glad I didn't make a newbie thread when I arrived. Within seconds of posting, I'd have been claimed, sexored, and generally have people spam up my welcome thread. It's hardly surprising that most newbies don't stick around for more than a week. If I was new, I'd be scared stiff.

I'm not saying that everyone should be restricted to a generic welcome, but that people should tone it down a little. Newbie threads should be about the newbie, not about who can give them the funniest object.

Another thing that rather upset me was the treatment of kirk81 in this thread. Yes, the guy was kind of irritating, but the replies in that thread were just downright horrible, whatever way you look at them. I think we sometimes forget that most people who join EoFF come from mucher smaller forums, where short, generally topic-less posts are acceptable, and that making the transition to a large community such as this can be difficult. We've seen people mature over time, and I think we should do our best to encourage that, rather than criticising innocent mistakes. To be honest, it saddens me to see that thread in the archives. I don't want to remember that as a part of EoFF's history.

I guess that now it's done, there's nothing I can ask but for people to be a little more accepting of newbies. Point out their mistakes, yes, but don't criticise, and they'll do everything they can to correct them. Give them time, and perhaps they won't run away after only a few hours online.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

I didn't make a newbie thread and I made mistakes. I didn't really have them pointed out, but I figured out where I did go wrong when I did, and now I'm a better poster by figuring everything out.

I thought the replies to the Kirk81 thread were amusing, myself. The whole thread was pretty funny.

When I made a newbie thread years ago, I was welcomed by everyone who posted in it. It's changed a bit, but I dont mind as long as people aren't rude.

Kirk was awesome and people were very rude to him. No wonder he stopped caring and got himself banned. I mean, I myself would stop caring if people were like that to me. *_*
    ('-'*)/ - "sup"

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I joined a long time ago and everyone was really friendly to me. I generally stay away from newbie threads these days, but I didn't really think that the stuff was that bad.

I joined a while ago, when I started a newbie thread it was closed because people were swearing at me
    I would love to be happy, but unfortunately I'm too busy being awesome and kicking your ass at everything

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Newbies don't have feelings. Who's been feeding you this rubbish? :-p
    Figaro Castle

Ha ha ha nice one FlyingMullet
    FlyingMullet-always here for a good laugh
    I would love to be happy, but unfortunately I'm too busy being awesome and kicking your ass at everything

Welcome to EoFF.

<_< >_>

I never made a newbie thread, I just started posting. And I guess I grew with the forums.

I rarely if ever post in newbie threads. I don't consider myself all that sociable. So I don't usually notice newbies. I wouldn't make an effort to criticize, but I won't help either. So I guess what I'm saying is nothing, really. =D um, every once in a while there is a newbie that can't be ignored, and they're cool. rarely, though.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

I never made a newbie thread, and I'm glad I didn't.

As for that thread, I don't feel bad about saying that. I'd probably make that same response again. The only real bad treatment that he got was Bleys's comment, but it was fairly amusing.

As far as getting used to the forum, that definately wasn't his first post, and it doesn't take long to catch on that he has to put forth at least a little more effort. He had a lot of threads like that, and he never took a hint.

It's just how EoFF is. You say something relatively stupid and you will be made fun of for it whether you're a newbie or a veteran member. I don't think that's going to change.

I made a newbie thread, but I don't remember anyone sexoring me or claiming me. And I don't remember anyone spamming my thread. I think it's because I said that Sephex is my big brother and then they thought that if they did that they would get murdered by him.
    Last edited by Dixie; 07-21-2004 at 05:41 AM.
    All life begins with a Nu and ends with a Nu.

Quote Originally Posted by Czanthor
    Newbies have feelings too, you know.
    Pssh. No they don't.

I didn't make a newbie thread, and, as expected, not a soul knew who I was for 2 1/2 years.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I never had a newbie thread. And the newbie threads are like, a test. If the newbie can put up with the claiming and sexoring, they are truly a member of EoFF.

Or at least, that's how I look at it.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Kirobaito
    I didn't make a newbie thread, and, as expected, not a soul knew who I was for 2 1/2 years.
    Who are you again?
    Figaro Castle

i'm king bahamut. i r teh uber l33t g4m3r.

I think I'm generally nice to newbies.
    Mugwumps, hi-jumps, low slumps, big bumps