Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tom Bombadil

Default Tom Bombadil

This is a public announcement just to let you know that Tom Bombadil in Lord of the Rings is the undisputed best character in the series. Recently, new personal writings of Tolkien were found that suggest - no, state - that his overarching message in the Lord of the Rings series is that Tom Bombadil is a badass. I found it my duty to bring such news to your attention. Thank you for your time.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

HAHA! No one agrees with you. It was Sam, I'm telling you. He was loyal, he was strong, he had a soft spot....what more could you ask for in a hero?

Signature by rubah. I think.

Oh, I don't know, how about, um, BEING LIKE TOM BOMBADIL?

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Who was so utterly unnecessary to the plot that they hacked him out of the movie.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Behold the Void
    Who was so utterly unnecessary to the plot that they hacked him out of the movie.
    In the extended cut of The Two Towers, some of Bombadial's lines and characteristics are given to Treebeard.

I found that Bombadil seemed slightly... stoned a lot of the time. In fact, in the brilliant lampoon Bored of the Rings, Bombadil's character is a drug-crazed hippy named Tim Benzedrine, so I'm not alone in that view.

I don't dislike the guy, though. He's a mysterious character, that's always a good thing. An embodiment of environmental ideals, too.
    However, as Behold the Void has said, he didn't do one heck of a lot for the plot.

Incidentally, the true hero of The Lord of the Rings has always been, and will always be, Bill the Pony.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Tom was unusual, to say the least. He also got very lucky in terms of his circumstances. He lived in a rent-free apartment overlooking a nice forest, and somehow managed to marry a sweet elven girl called Goldberry. At least I believe she was an elf.
    "As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Big D
    I found that Bombadil seemed slightly... stoned a lot of the time. In fact, in the brilliant lampoon Bored of the Rings, Bombadil's character is a drug-crazed hippy named Tim Benzedrine, so I'm not alone in that view.
    Haha, I'm reading that book right now.

I thought he wasn't half-bad a character, although he was definitely only put in for the sake of Tolkien's kids.

Treebeard was a cooler character, though. Go Ents.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I find it very difficult to imagine Bombadil as anything other than a drug-taking nutcase anymore. It seems to work so much better.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I liked Aragorn the best. [/generic]

Also King Theoden.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

In the extended cut of The Two Towers, some of Bombadial's lines and characteristics are given to Treebeard.

I don't dislike the guy, though. He's a mysterious character, that's always a good thing. An embodiment of environmental ideals, too.
    However, as Behold the Void has said, he didn't do one heck of a lot for the plot.

Incidentally, the true hero of The Lord of the Rings has always been, and will always be, Bill the Pony.
    Bombadil has been much of an inspiration to my experimentation and subsequent addiction to all mind-altering substances known to mankind. However, I must say I am quite aghast at myself for overlooking Bill the Pony. Although Bill the Pony is undoubtedly one of Tolkien's shining heroes (and the best hero, technically) I'm afraid that Bill the Pony didn't affect me to change my lifestyle as much, and I have to place him below Mr. Bombadil.

The BotR book is quality, BTW.

Treebeard is cool, but the movies made him not as cool.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I remember Tom Bombadil from the books. He was a rather interesting character though, just... unnecessary.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Grin i'm so uncultured ;_;

In the movie, I preferred that King guy who ran off the tower screaming and on fire, and Treebeard, and the Ent that was on fire but went *swoosh* and put itself out, and of course the Boromir/Faramir "YOU ARE THE GOOD SON AND YOU ARE THE CRAPPY SON DIE NOW YOU BASTARD" scene was great.

Bookwise my favourites were Mr Bombadil, Mr of Arathorn, and Treebeard. SQUEE!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Tom Bombadil almost single-handedly caused me to stop reading LotR the first time I tried to read through it.

Because you were out in the woods trying to emulate him, right?

Bill the Pony is the SECOND best character. He's still great, though...

I guess third... well, not really from LotR, but Beorn. Because, you know, he could turn into a bear. And that's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Unne
    Tom Bombadil almost single-handedly caused me to stop reading LotR the first time I tried to read through it.
    Unne doesn't like him, so he has to be good.