Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone interested in an online chess tournament?

Default Anyone interested in an online chess tournament?

I'm not sure how this would work, but here's what I gather; Since Yahoo! doesn't allow me to set up my own tournament, I would have everyone play against their opposing seeds and I would have to watch every game. This would kind of be like an unofficial-official tournament. I was thinking of setting up a 16-seed (16 competitors) field, which rankings to be determined at random(with me being a 16th seed).

It's kind of difficult to do, but with some cooperation, I think it can work out. I would set the time and dates for each chess battle, and this would be like, a four day event. Post here if you're interested...if not...then oh well. :/ If there's not enough people, I can cut it down to a 12-seed tournament or an 8-seed tournament. The 12 seed tournament would span 4 days as well, with the 4 lower seeds having to play 2 games on the first day.

Rules are simple:

1) Know how to play chess at a decent level
    2) If you're interested, provide your Yahoo name here(if possible, provide an AIM/MSN name so I can contact you live)
    3) If you quit for any reason, other than disconnection, the opponent automatically qualifies for the next round

Prizes:

1) Title of EoFF's Best Chess Player!

Also, in case of a stalemate, the player with the "best" pieces will win. Here's my judge of pieces, feel free to argue and I'll consider re-ranking pieces:

1) Queen
    2) Rook
    3) Bishop
    4) Knight
    5) King
    6) Pawn

So if a stalemate occurs, and if white only has a King, but black has a King, Queen, and a few pawns, then black will advance. If there is a total stalemate(that is, if all players have pieces of equal rank), then you'll have to play again. :\

So yeah...I'm just bored I guess, since summer classes will end tomorrow. :\
    Last edited by Dingo Jellybean; 07-22-2004 at 07:16 PM.

I'm interested, but I'll have to set up a Yahoo! account and upgrade my AIM first.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm game. I suck at chess though.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I might play but I'd probably get beaten. I'm good but I make sucky moves sometimes.

Well, at least there's 4 people. Now we need 12 more.

I'll play in it
    One with the Spirit of a wolf

I've won a few tournaments in my day, but I spend most of my days playing the same 2 people, and we're all fairly decent. I'll give it a go, but I'm not sure how well I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingo
    3) If you quit for any reason, other than disconnection, the opponent automatically qualifies for the next round
    Thank God. Whoever plays me get ready for this. I'm disconnected quite a lot on this computer. On second thought, I'll go ahead and use my other computer for this thing. And just to mention, next week, I won't be available from 8-10:30 AM CST and from 1-1:45 PM CST. Band starts next week.

For future reference Dinog:

Queen - 9 pts
    Rook - 5 pts
    Knight - 3 pts
    Bishop - 3 pts
    Pawn - 1 pt

King isn't worth anything as once you lose the King you lose the game.

Anyway. I suck at chess, so I'm out.
    lol signature

I'd be interested. I was quite the player, but I'm rusty and out of shape, so who knows. Let me know when and I'll see if I can make it. Or I'll just post here - not before 5 pm PDT on weekdays.

Okay, minus Jeebs, that makes 8 people. We need another 8, to really make this feel like a tournament.

I are interested.

Keiths_inbox is meh yahoooooooo

Wakka just PMed me. That makes 10 contestants.

So yeah...nice. 6 more people...sign up you bastards.

Blog Entries

Ah, I guess I could give it a try... if I knew what this Yahoo! thing is. :rolleyes2

Could anyone tell me more about that? I'm not very good at chess... at least I think so... but, whatever. :banana:

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Shadow
    Ah, I guess I could give it a try... if I knew what this Yahoo! thing is. :rolleyes2

Could anyone tell me more about that? I'm not very good at chess... at least I think so... but, whatever. :banana:
    I'm surprised you don't know about Yahoo! Games.

http://games.yahoo.com

That's the website. You'll see that you can play against other Chess players online for free.