Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is Selphie talking about!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Kilika @ 08-09-2004, 1:03 AM
    i do belive it is tonberry because in many a stragety guide it says that selphie must be in the party in order to get tonberry to show up after 3 billion regular tonberrry fights
    Like Sir Bahamut said, she does not have to be in your party, and it's not 3 billion fights, it's only aroung 20 Tonberry fights won.

As for your statement, Sir Bahamut, maybe her drawing it from a monster caused him to be free to roam around. I mean, not all GFs were in monsters, Ifrit wasn't, so maybe they were drawn some time ago, then let free.

:shoot:

Perhaps, but I still think that makes it less plausible.

Personally I don't know. I always guessed and thought it was Siren or Pandemoniem
    Favourite Characters ;P
    FF VII: Yuffie / Vincent.
    FF VIII: Selphie.
    FF IX: Beatrix.
    FF X: Auron / Rikku.
    FF X-2: Paine / Gippal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolts
    As for your statement, Sir Bahamut, maybe her drawing it from a monster caused him to be free to roam around. I mean, not all GFs were in monsters, Ifrit wasn't, so maybe they were drawn some time ago, then let free.
    But isn't drawing an ability you get by junctioning a GF?

Sir Bahamut, you have a point, but there are several weak monsters who hold GFs in this game, e.g. the ones that hold Carbuncle. And the monster could have already been dead when Selphie found it. So she equipped it and then let it go. Maybe that's how Tonberry King got so big, it's been lurking around for ten years.

As I said, that is certainly possible, but I just don't think Square meant for us to ever find out about that GF.

I mean, there must be many many more GFs in the world than the ones the party find, and I personally think it seems more likely that it was one of those.

But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by SeedRankLou
    But isn't drawing an ability you get by junctioning a GF?
    Yeah, but there's always the first one that just shows up.
    Also, (SPOILER)when you're in the desert prison, wether she has the ability to or not, Selphie attempts to draw and use cure on Zell.

*Give Jolts a cookie * I was just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bahamut
    As I said, that is certainly possible, but I just don't think Square meant for us to ever find out about that GF.

I mean, there must be many many more GFs in the world than the ones the party find, and I personally think it seems more likely that it was one of those.

But that's just me.
    Square does this all the time, they will put things in the game and not directly tell you but they will greatly hint at it. Laguana being Squall's father for example. Some theories are more far-fetched than others *cough*R=U*cough*, but some do have in game evidence. Square didn't just put that comment that Selphie said about the GF for nothing. They could have easily just said that Trabadia Garden allows transfer students to practice with GFs before transfering to Balamb Garden or something like that, but they had Selphie say that specific line. Put that with the extra picture in her Shrine to Laguana. Those aren't random. I'm just saying.

Yes, I am quite aware(probably more so than you) of all the theories and subtle facts and hints.

However, I am also aware of all the unexplained things/events which Square left in, things and events which we will never know the truth of.

And in this case, I think the GF belonged to the latter category.

I mean, it's not like us knowing if that GF was say Toonberry, would affect the plot in any way. It wouldn't benefit us in any way. It would just be some irrelevant additional information, and personally, I think when Square put in subtle hints, they do so because of something significant.

I don't think it was Toonberry at all .

Yes, I am quite aware(probably more so than you) of all the theories and subtle facts and hints.

However, I am also aware of all the unexplained things/events which Square left in, things and events which we will never know the truth of.

And in this case, I think the GF belonged to the latter category.

I mean, it's not like us knowing if that GF was say Toonberry, would affect the plot in any way. It wouldn't benefit us in any way. It would just be some irrelevant additional information, and personally, I think when Square put in subtle hints, they do so because of something significant.
    If it was irrelevant they wouldn't have included those things I pointed out earlier. And Square doesn't leave many things unexplained in games, you just have to dig and put pieces together.

Jolts....LOL

Actually, they do leave quite number of things unexplained. Time compression would the most glaringly obvious unexplained feature in this game.

Anyway, since you seem so determined, let's look at the things you pointed out earlier:

I think if you put some pieces of the story together you can derive which one she used. First, you have to assume that all the GFs that Squall can get plus Griever are the only GFs in the world of FFVIII. If that assumption is true then this works. Selphie says that when she was younger she equipped a GF. If you get the fake Timber Maniacs Magazine in Zell's Mom's house, there will be an additional picture in Selphie's tribute to Laguana in which she is at a field trip in the Centra Ruins when she was younger. So, she was younger when she equipped a GF and she was younger at a field trip to the Centra Ruins, so I'm guessing she equipped Tonberry. This is just my speculation though, it is never actually stated that this is the case.
    1) First assumption made is that there are no more GFs in the world besides the ones you catch.

Well, way to go with a obviously flawed first assumption. Squall and Co were no the only SeeDs, and since all SeeDs need to aqquire a low level GF before graduation(in Squalls case, Ifrit) your assumption is proven wrong.

There are many more GFs in the world.

2) The picture is never revealed to be at a field trip to Centra, is it?
    If it is, can you please quote it exactly?

If you are in fact correct on the second assumption, then perhaps it was Toonberry, but I doubt you are.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Actually, they do leave quite number of things unexplained. Time compression would the most glaringly obvious unexplained feature in this game.
    It's explained pretty well, so far as I can see. How it works, why it's necessary... they cover it all quite thoroughly.
    2) The picture is never revealed to be at a field trip to Centra, is it?
    If it is, can you please quote it exactly?

If you are in fact correct on the second assumption, then perhaps it was Toonberry, but I doubt you are.
    It looks like the Centra ruins, and we know for a fact that other Trabia students have encountered the Tonberry King. The guy who's talking in his sleep mumbles about summoning a GF during a fight with the Tonberry King.
    So, we've got a picture of Selphie in a location that looks like the Ruins, and her testimony of acquiring a GF while on a field trip, and sleepy-guy's account of fighting the Tonberry King. There's nothing wrong with assuming this to mean that Selphie did, in fact, find the GF Tonberry, and found it at the Centra Ruins. In fact, the hints given throughout the game probably prompted a lot of gamers to search for the hidden GFs at the ruins.

Sir Bahamut, you seem to be turning this into some kind of personal, vitriolic dispute, which is quite unnecessary. Whether Selphie once junctioned Tonberry or not is a matter of personal belief, but many people believe it because of how they interpret the evidence in the game. It's no big deal, so there's no need to blow it out of proportion.

It's explained pretty well, so far as I can see. How it works, why it's necessary... they cover it all quite thoroughly.
    I know why it is necessarry, but how it works is left completely unexplained. Feel free to try and explain it(PM me I guess, since it would be off topic) though, I like discussing things like TC.

It looks like the Centra ruins, and we know for a fact that other Trabia students have encountered the Tonberry King. The guy who's talking in his sleep mumbles about summoning a GF during a fight with the Tonberry King.
    So, we've got a picture of Selphie in a location that looks like the Ruins, and her testimony of acquiring a GF while on a field trip, and sleepy-guy's account of fighting the Tonberry King. There's nothing wrong with assuming this to mean that Selphie did, in fact, find the GF Tonberry, and found it at the Centra Ruins. In fact, the hints given throughout the game probably prompted a lot of gamers to search for the hidden GFs at the ruins.
    Actually, the guy mumbles about fighting a Toonberry, not a Toonberry King.

And please, I never said there was anything wrong with the assumption, I merely said that I PERSONALLY don't think it is true.

Sir Bahamut, you seem to be turning this into some kind of personal, vitriolic dispute, which is quite unnecessary. Whether Selphie once junctioned Tonberry or not is a matter of personal belief, but many people believe it because of how they interpret the evidence in the game. It's no big deal, so there's no need to blow it out of proportion.
    Excuse me, but this is exactly why it may seem like I'm getting personal about this.
    I have repeatedly stated that it is only my opinion, and that I know it is a perfectly valid assumption to think it was Toonberry, I just don't agree.
    I also made it quite clear that it has no plot relevance anyway, so you must be ignoring my posts completely.

Then SeedRankLou comes and starts lecturing me about the finesses in FF8, and you now make it out as if I think whoever believes it to be Toonberry is a rathing idiot.

So if you could please read my posts and stop accusing me, and SeeDRankLou could stop lecturing me(I know it's well meant, but I've been part of FF8 plot discussions for the last 2 years now, so I am fully aware off all the little finesses), everything will be fine, ok?

But that's just me.
    yeah, it was RAMUH!!
    U L T I M A T E

S P A M

G R O V E R

PLD75/BLU52/WAR51-Titan Server
    FFXI/Dojo Adventure Xanga

chaotic neutral

Actually, the guy mumbles about fighting a Toonberry, not a Toonberry King.
    He says "That Tonberry King... Take that GF summon...", at least in the English translation. There's only one "o" in the name. I bet my gunblade on that.
    To do is to be. (Sokrates)
    To be is to do. (Sartre)
    Do be do be do. (Sinatra)