Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Me = in a car crash

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

I start taking driving lessons in the fall as I don't have time this summer.

I've driven my dad's care short distances before, and I'm so rigid when I do it. I slam on the breaks every so often, so hard that the car shakes back and forth. I can't keep a smooth pace 'cause I fear I'll crash into something.

Then again, I can't wait 'til I can drive myself around instead of having to rely on my parents.

RX Queen Recognized Member kikimm's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't think i'm exactly 'mature' enough to start driving. That's why I haven't pursued taking lessons at all. I don't think i'm old enough to even start taking lessons. I'm a couple months younger than all my friends, who have all started taking lessons, one even driving.

I'm really scared. Not to make you any more scared than you already are, but I'm really afraid that I'll screw everything up. You know when you get to the light, and you have to stop behind a car? I'm afraid that if I try to do that, then I'll stop too late, and then smash into the other car. Plus I'm sort of short ( 5'2) , so I have a hard time seeing. People have suggested getting a 'seat', but that would be the death of me. I would never hear the end of that.

I want to drive, and get away from from everything, but I'm to freaked out to do anything about it yet.

All that said, good luck. You'll probably be just fine, as evryone's usually nervous when they do something like this, and then have it turn out to be no big deal. You'll pass, don't worry.

--Box Box Box Box

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

What's a K-turn?

I was on the highway my first time "really" driving as well. It wasn't such a bad experience. And we did parallel parking with cones in a parking lot, not in real life.

Signature by rubah. I think.

I was an absolute beginner my first driving lesson. The instructor is human - he or she will respond to your skill level and determine what you can and can't do appropriately. That's why they have that job, y'know. Relax, man.

I was terrified before I got behind the wheel of a car for the first time, but once I started driving it was fine because I realized it was actually pretty easy. The instructor won't make you do anything you don't feel comfortable doing or aren't ready to do. Honestly, there is really nothing to it SomethingBig. You'll be fine. Let us know how you go.

The flying homo! Recognized Member Giga Guess's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

Relax. I too was among the few that were completely terrified of the workings of the automotive life. But I found out just how easy it is. My tip? Play conservatively. Caution hasn't killed nearly as many as recklessness has. Not to say you should crive on the shoulder doing 20 with the blinkers on, but just....be careful. And remember. Paralell parking is the devil, but once you master it for the test....you'll probably almost never use it again. Kind of like algebra, no?

Many thanks Christmas!
    Horniest Member, 2007! Gimme a little unf unf!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I started driving not so long ago, and to be perfectly honest, it's not something I enjoy. However, it isn't overly-difficult by any means, and I guarantee that after a few lessons, you'll feel in control of the car. Your instructor won't do anything to put you in danger, and you must always remember that he/she has dual controls. If you do anything dangerous, he/she will stop you immediately.

Try to enjoy your lessons, even if you are really nervous. Hell, it's good to be nervous, as it shows that you know that there are dangers associated with driving. Some people just get in a car and drive off at 50 miles an hour without a care in the world.
    "As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

my dad gave me my first driving lesson, after stalling the car 8 times in a row i finaly got going only to stall it at the first junction, then i hit a cone scraping the paint of his car. He wouldn't teach me again.
    Your sig is too hilarious and witty, thus i have removed it to protect the minds of all forum goers
    -The allways inspiring leeza

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SomethingBig
    Tomorrow, I officially start driving.
    :whaaa:

Run away! :chuckle: okay I was kidding!

Anyway, wish me luck. This is probably my very last post on EoFF and I just wanted to say that I love you all! </semiexageratedrant>
    Oh no!!!! Well good Luck!

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I got like 19/20 on the written test or something. After that I got my friend to give me lessons, and he told me what the driving inspectors looked for. Not running over RC cars, unfortunately for me.

Playing lots of racing games has made me very confident in my driving. My friends are also good but they seem to be in love with the wall. I'm taking the written test next week. Of course, I haven't driven a foot in any real car yet so I don't know what its like.
    This my sig, foo!
    The hour of our departure has arrived, and we go our ways - I to die, and you to live. Which is better God only knows.
    -Socrates

Bigger than a rancor SomethingBig's Avatar

WOW, driving is the most exhilarating thing ever. Even though I clutched the wheel like a crocadile would its prey, it was such an incredible experience. I got to drive around for 2 hours and, by God, it was inexplicably fun. Wow. Just wow. I made a couple of errors, but during the last 20 or so minutes, I started to get the hang of it. Turning was a female dog, when I started, but then I got the hang of it. It started to really pour, so I was afraid of hydroplaning. I think one person honked at me and I'm sure that these guys started laughing at me when they passed by in their car. I cannot wait 'til my next lesson(which is on Monday).

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon
    What's a K-turn?
    It's also known as the 3-point turn. You're on the side of the road, and, to turn around, you go left, turn your steering wheel all the way to the right, go in reverse, then go left, and you should be facing the other way.
    :monster2: One, AH! AH! Two, AH AH! Three, AH AH!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I knew you'd like it.

Altogether now: "We told you so!"
    "As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

Bigger than a rancor SomethingBig's Avatar

Exactly how hard is parallel parking?

Thanks, everyone, for your support. Group hug?
    :monster2: One, AH! AH! Two, AH AH! Three, AH AH!

WOW, driving is the most exhilarating thing ever. Even though I clutched the wheel like a crocadile would its prey, it was such an incredible experience. I got to drive around for 2 hours and, by God, it was inexplicably fun. Wow. Just wow. I made a couple of errors, but during the last 20 or so minutes, I started to get the hang of it. Turning was a female dog, when I started, but then I got the hang of it. It started to really pour, so I was afraid of hydroplaning. I think one person honked at me and I'm sure that these guys started laughing at me when they passed by in their car. I cannot wait 'til my next lesson(which is on Monday).
    Congratulations! You didn't die!! *hides tombstone*