Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Unofficial Olympics Thread

Well if the gymnasts were having trouble finding dates they could just impress people with a 2 1/2 twist somersault or whatever it is they do. And was anyone else surprised how badly USA got beaten by Puerto Rico?
    /

Quote Originally Posted by Tulmane
    >>
    <<

I feel really bad for gymnists. trout, even if I were serious about something like that, I wouldn't go to digestive-tract destroying methods to maintain an 80lbs physique so I could hurl myself around. o_O

Either way, I've never been too keen on the Olympics in general. It's like watching a "My penis is bigger!" arguement, you know the ones...
    You have to remember that Gymnasts are not skinny, not even the girls. Most male gymnasts never see past 5'5" and most female gymnasts barely see 5'. The average height for the US male gymnasts are 5'4" and for the women it's like, 4'10.5". So while some of gymnasts are 80 lbs(actually none of the US female gymnasts are, they are around 92-105 lbs), that's hard to do. I think it's preferable to have small gymnasts because as you get taller, it's incredibly hard(or even impossible) to balance yourself in the air like that. Imagine someone like Gheorge Murasean(who's 7'7") trying to do gymnastics, it's practically physically impossible.

But yes, the Olympics are another form of bragging rights...but that's only for us spectators. For people who compete in these olympics, it's pretty much their life...much more than bragging rights.

Quote Originally Posted by queen of the jungle
    Well if the gymnasts were having trouble finding dates they could just impress people with a 2 1/2 twist somersault or whatever it is they do. And was anyone else surprised how badly USA got beaten by Puerto Rico?
    I doubt any of them have trouble finding dates, I mean did you see Blaine Wilson's wife? She's a former volleyball player...and female volleyball players are usually cute with fantastic bodies.

But anyways, despite Courtney Kupets being a local girl(to me, that is), Mohini Bhardwaj is pretty cute, and I guarantee you she doesn't have trouble finding dates...even if she is just 4'10".

I've followed Team USA basketball since the 1992 dream team, and I wasn't surprised that they lost so badly. They lost worst to Italy, a non-medal contender. What's worst is that Puerto Rico were not even a medal contender, just "happy to be there." The problem with the US is that they don't have an outside shooter. They shot 3-24 in the first game from 3 point land and 4-21 in the second game. What's more mocking is how the 3 point line is 3 feet shorter than the NBA 3 point line. In game 1, the US missed 16 3 pointers in a row. That's pathetic. I mean you could throw me the cutest girls on the court and have them strip down their clothes to distract me and I guarantee I can hit at least one out of 16.

But eh...if they can't shoot 3's, DON'T TAKE THEM. I thought that would be obvious.

Eoff Designer Recognized Member Rinoabella's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design
    I love watching the Olympics. I thought I was the only one. I can't believe NZ won a basketball game :O That was EXCITING!

My favourite sports to watch are: basketball, hockey, rowing (sculls).

Quote Originally Posted by Rinoabella
    I love watching the Olympics. I thought I was the only one. I can't believe NZ won a basketball game :O That was EXCITING!

My favourite sports to watch are: basketball, hockey, rowing (sculls).
    I assume you were speaking of the Men's team because the USA Women's completely killed the Kiwis. The final score was 99-47, and it's only the first time in over 20000 games(NBA or international or collegiate) that a basketball team doubles up on someone.

But anyways, congrats to Paul Hamm(pronounced "Hom" like "mom" not "Ham"...like so many people pronounce it :rolleyes2 ) to becoming the first US male gymnast to win all around gold...he came back from 12th place...I already knew he won gold, but I had to see it to believe it. I still can't believe he made that come back...it was amazing. And congrats to Carly Patterson for matching the US men. I don't think I've ever seen an Olympics where the US men and women matched each other in gymnastics.

Personally, I love gymnastics. How those people contort their bodies...I never fail to be impressed...it's just...wow...*melts*...so damn cool.

Articles

How 'bout that Carly Patterson?

^_^ YAY AMERICA

Wow, I just realized that the Olympics is the only time I like my country. Yay for sports overshadowing everything else going on in the world. It would be nice if stuff like this happened more often. But I know it can't. :\

Personally, I used to enjoy the Winter Olympics more because of skiing (my personal favorite sport), but now I like the Summer Olympics more because of all the stuff I never get to see on TV or do myself. I am on the track team at school but the Olympic track athletes are just so good that it's a completely different sport. And gymnastics. Wow. I just have to say, don't piss off a male gymnast.

I think its pretty obvious that the Americans will win the overall medals but when you consider how much money and how much time is spent on developing the vast number of potential athletes in the country, it is hardly surprising. They are currently top and that is before they dominate the track events.

I like watching the Olympics becasue there's always a sense of the underdog for the British in most events, which makes it more special if one of our athletes wins a medal. The only events in which the Brits normally expect success are the boat events. Rowing, Sailing etc, Britain has obtained a dominance over in recent years, so its nice to see the Boy Hoy winning Gold in the Cycling events. I certainly have enjoyed watching the British athletes compete.

Eoff Designer Recognized Member Rinoabella's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingo Jellybean
    I assume you were speaking of the Men's team because the USA Women's completely killed the Kiwis. The final score was 99-47, and it's only the first time in over 20000 games(NBA or international or collegiate) that a basketball team doubles up on someone.
    Damn right I meant the guys You may have killed our girls, but we're still in the semis. And you may have killed our guys, but we killed the guys who killed you in 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Sark
    I think its pretty obvious that the Americans will win the overall medals but when you consider how much money and how much time is spent on developing the vast number of potential athletes in the country, it is hardly surprising. They are currently top and that is before they dominate the track events.

I like watching the Olympics becasue there's always a sense of the underdog for the British in most events, which makes it more special if one of our athletes wins a medal. The only events in which the Brits normally expect success are the boat events. Rowing, Sailing etc, Britain has obtained a dominance over in recent years, so its nice to see the Boy Hoy winning Gold in the Cycling events. I certainly have enjoyed watching the British athletes compete.
    You also have to remember that nearly half of the non-US olympic swimming athletes train in the US. So in essence, they spend more money than they US athletes who get to stay home.

Also, I always wonder why people say the US has the most athletes, so it gives them more of a chance to win. I never liked that. People have to realize that these athletes have to make it through the Olympic trials. And often these trials bump other countries out. So it's not like the US is sending 50 100m dash athletes. It just so happens that US athletes make it through the olympic trials and knocks out some of the international competition that prevents them from competing.

Articles

How 'bout them Lithuanians?

Quote Originally Posted by Strider
    At least a former Terp got them.

Everytime I see Lithuania play, they amaze me with how accurate their shooting is. Just when the US plays its best game(both during the olympics and exhibition games), it loses. Not because of lack of shooting that this team is known for, well actually it is, but because of a lack of free throw shooting. If we had Reggie Miller or Brent Barry or Michael Redd, man, this would be a different story. We haven't even blown an opponent out. The fact that the 3 point line is more than 3 feet shorter than the NBA's just shows how pathetic this squad is at shooting. Even though they shot well today, I think it was a fluke.

No way the US keeps this shooting for the 4(potentially) remaining games. What I'm more surprised is that the former Yugoslavia(Serbia and Montenegro) lost again. I thought they were the 2nd best team in the pool next to Argentina.

Oh well, the US advanced to the quarterfinals anyways, because Angola got smashed by Greece(who we play next). If this is a game where we can afford to attempt 3's, this is the team to do it against. They're even worst than China(and that's saying a lot), oh man...the US should win by like, 21 points or more...it shouldn't even be close.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well it appears that Paul Hamm's gold medal is only his because of an error in calculations. I personally thought that his disastrous fall from the vault deserved much much less than a 9.1 so I'm totally feeling for the South Koreans on this one. Poor guys, they looked so anguished when they discovered that they had lost out on being 1, 2.

Also, I always wonder why people say the US has the most athletes, so it gives them more of a chance to win. I never liked that. People have to realize that these athletes have to make it through the Olympic trials. And often these trials bump other countries out. So it's not like the US is sending 50 100m dash athletes. It just so happens that US athletes make it through the olympic trials and knocks out some of the international competition that prevents them from competing.
    Obviously.

The USA have a far bigger crop of athletes to choose from when it comes to sending athletes to the Olympic Trials. Comparing the USA team to the British team for example, the USA has sent nearly 100 more competitors to the games, spanning a vast number of events! I think it is totally fair to say that America are always favourites because of the number of quality athletes to choose from. That's not a dig at American Sport at all. It's a compliment, you should be proud of your country's sportspersons and not undermine the institutions that make the American Olympic team not only one of the biggest, but certainly the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Strider
    I love this team! They will take goldM in basketball!
    That would be hilarious!
    The US dreaming team are getting better with every game! US-Lit game was much more interesting and could be a final itself, lol.
    Stop the Earth! I want to get out!...

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Sark
    Obviously.

The USA have a far bigger crop of athletes to choose from when it comes to sending athletes to the Olympic Trials. Comparing the USA team to the British team for example, the USA has sent nearly 100 more competitors to the games, spanning a vast number of events! I think it is totally fair to say that America are always favourites because of the number of quality athletes to choose from. That's not a dig at American Sport at all. It's a compliment, you should be proud of your country's sportspersons and not undermine the institutions that make the American Olympic team not only one of the biggest, but certainly the best.
    What I meant was that the US just has better athletes because they are better, not because there's more of them. You look at China, who has 396 athletes. Look at Australia, they have 489 athletes, yet look at the total gold and medals that China has compared to Australia...practically double that of Australia.

So the argument of "more to choose" from doesn't really account. The US simply has better athletes because they train harder, not because there's more of them. While the US has 647 athletes to China's 396, China is actually ahead on the current gold count, but trail in total medal count by only 5 medals. While China only sends 61% of the number of athletes to Athens compared to United States, they certainly have much more than 61% of the medals compared to the United States.

You look back 4 years ago in Sydney, Australia sent close to 500 athletes in Sydney compared to the US who sent about 620 athletes. The US won the total gold and total medal count with 97(39 gold) total medals. Australia only had 58 total medals with 18 gold.

Although I'm not accusing you of this, many people outside the US often claim that because the US has the most athletes, they win more medals. Completely untrue. You can go back to the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles and realize that the US took home 83(174 total medals) gold medals, the most dominant olympics in olympics history(winter or summer). Yet during that time, it was actually the former Soviet Union that sent the most athletes. They didn't even get 30 total medals, and 2nd place for total gold was like, 15 or something.
    Last edited by Dingo Jellybean; 08-22-2004 at 10:07 PM.