Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Unofficial Olympics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CloudySky
    I love this team! They will take goldM in basketball!
    That would be hilarious!
    The US dreaming team are getting better with every game! US-Lit game was much more interesting and could be a final itself, lol.
    Heh, Dreaming Team. That should be the title for this current 2004 Team USA.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Grin

Two gold for NZ now! *waves flag*

Eoff Designer Recognized Member Rinoabella's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design
    Quote Originally Posted by Calliope
    Two gold for NZ now! *waves flag*
    Yeah! Go our #24-or something team! We are now ahead of Canada, Eithiopia and United Arab Emirates

Highlights for me:
    - Our quadruple array of penalty corners in the men's hockey AFTER the time had run out! Poor India though
    - Beating Serbia + Montenegro in the men's basketball. It was the only team I really wanted us to beat.

Oh man, oh man...the 100m dash is the single greatest race in the world.

It's my favorite race. Justin Gatlin finished in 9.85s. Maurice Greene took home bronze in 9.87s...that time was good enough for gold in 2000...but man...oh man, I just love this race so much. 5 racers finished under 10s, Kim Collins finished 6th at 10s flat. Fastest and closest 100m ever.

I can't wait for the 4x100m relays...man...I love track and field.

Eoff Designer Recognized Member Rinoabella's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design
    But it only lasts for like 10 seconds! It's okay for a quick thrill.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinoabella
    But it only lasts for like 10 seconds! It's okay for a quick thrill.
    Yeah, but it shows what humans can do. Not some race car or a horse. I love it...it's like...oh man, so fun to watch.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Grin

Oh, and gotta love the Murray Halberg and that other guy car bomb scare thing

Oh man, I thought there would be the first 10 in gymnastics since Nadia Comaneci.

Marian Dragulescu his like, the greatest move in sports that I've seen with some kind of 3 somersault-double twist. The commentators were calling for a 10.0, but it got <i>only</i> a 9.9.

He hit the perfect landing and did everything right. Too bad he stumbled badly on his last vault to get bronze.

But yeah, US swept the 400m finals. The US softball team won gold but beating the Aussies again But eh, they won all 8 games by a combined score of 51-1. The most dominant olympics in softball olympics history. And the US women's soccer team should beat Brazil.

But man...that single vault Marian did was just like...damn.

Articles

How 'bout that Jennie Finch?

She's hot.

Good job for Jeremy Wariner, my sister's friend. Well, my sister knows him. Not really friends, but whatever.

Oh man, the AP story reporting the booing during Alexei Nemov didn't even come close to describing how bad the booing was during the last gymnastics routine.

I'm not sure if the booing was primarily during the pathetic score they gave Nemov(it was a horrible score) or if it was because Paul Hamm was going up next. I couldn't even hear the announcers because it was so loud. Paul Hamm got a 9.812 on a routine that wasn't near as good as Nemov's, who had 6 lift offs that were just out of this world. Nemov's routine, who 99% of the crowd felt was worthy of a gold medal, didn't even get a medal for it.

Nemov got a 9.725 for his amazing routine, and the crowd booed like crazy. Even having the judges redo the score, but the score itself didn't please the crowd either as Nemov didn't even move a position.

They booed Hamm like crazy, which wasn't even close to being fair. The score he got, from my POV, didn't warrant a 9.812, but he did get a 9.9 start value. Nemov got a 10.0 start value, and other than a slip landing, it should've gotten close to a 9.9. But yeah...the judges during these gymnastics should really look over their tapes. I didn't think Hamm deserved the silver medal, that should've went to Alexei Nemov.

But man...anyone who didn't see this part of gymnastics should see it, the audience should be ashamed of themselves.

I don't think they were booing Hamm as he was trying to go. They were simply still mad that Nemov failed to get gold, which that routine obviously deserved.

I have seen it and I'm not happy with the score. I'm also a Canadian who liked that routine with Alexei Nemov(should gotten the gold medal) paul Hamm should gotten the silver. I also watched it on NBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirobaito
    I don't think they were booing Hamm as he was trying to go. They were simply still mad that Nemov failed to get gold, which that routine obviously deserved.
    I'm beginning to think that too. I think it went both ways...but when Hamm's score of 9.812 came up, the crowd started booing again like there's no tomorrow.

But they did cheer him after he finished his routine. But Igor Cassina did deserve the gold, Hamm should have gotten bronze while Nemov with silver. Cassina's landing was much better than Nemov's.

Also, did anyone see the weight lifting competition? Man I love those.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Wow, the men's gymnastic was insane

The judges don't appear to know what the hell they're doing. The scoring throughout the Olympics has been loopy but tonight's judging was severely screwed up. I agree with Dingo, it should've gone:

1. Igor Cassina - Italy
    3. Alexei Nemov - Russia
    2. Paul Hamm - USA

I still can't believe Nemov placed 5th for one of the best bar routines I've ever seen. It's shameful.

And I find Paul Hamm to be supremely annoying.