Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Unofficial Olympics Thread

Eoff Designer Recognized Member Rinoabella's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design
    Yay NZ! Go our #1 and #2 team in the Men's Triathlon.
    Last edited by Rinoabella; 08-26-2004 at 09:53 AM.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...hitlock/040826

I agree with Jason Whitlock, <i>some</i>, not all of Americans simply root against Team USA men's basketball team because it's all black...he has a point...just read the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingo Jellybean
    I agree with Jason Whitlock, some, not all of Americans simply root against Team USA men's basketball team because it's all black...he has a point...just read the article.
    That's bulltrout, it has nothing to do with the race. It's all about different basketball schools. People have a right to choose what school or style of BB they like. I don't see how disliking NBA style make anyone a racist. I’m sick to hear that nonsense everyday.
    Stop the Earth! I want to get out!...

Quote Originally Posted by CloudySky
    That's bulltrout, it has nothing to do with the race. It's all about different basketball schools. People have a right to choose what school or style of BB they like. I don't see how disliking NBA style make anyone a racist. I’m sick to hear that nonsense everyday.
    I said <i>some</i>. Not all. I wish people would actually read the things I say.

Race is always an issue, no doubt about it. <i>How much</i> of an issue is another issue. Look, this country is predominantly white, most of them have seperated their racist ways, but you can't be so blind that it doesn't exist.

If it has nothing to do with race, why do ESPN polls show that people in the US want Team USA to lose? Shouldn't they be cheering for them? If you visit www.sportsline.com and read their message boards, there are a ton of people who say "not enough white players" or "a team of all blacks can't win." You can't be so blind to realize that race isn't an issue. It is. There's a difference between not liking the NBA game and not cheering for Team USA.

Quote Originally Posted by ingo Jellybean
    If it has nothing to do with race, why do ESPN polls show that people in the US want Team USA to lose? Shouldn't they be cheering for them?
    Go to any BB forum for God's sake. BB fans wants US to win gold real bad and they are cheering.
    Why do you care about some stupid polls! Some fans are offended by best NBA players refusal to represent their country in Olympics, that's all. I don't see any "race issue" in that.

Go to any BB forum for God's sake. BB fans wants US to win gold real bad and they are cheering.
    Why do you care about some stupid polls! Some fans are offended by best NBA players refusal to represent their country in Olympics, that's all. I don't see any "race issue" in that.
    Any basketball forum? Have you been to <i>any</i> basketball forum? There are topics that sprout out about how this Team USA is all black and how they can't win. I'm a regular board member to 3 basketball forums. Go to www.sportsline.com You'll see how many topics that are race related. Show me a basketball forum with at least 2000 members and tell me that race isn't an issue in one of those topics and I would know you'd be a liar, because I've been to 3 basketball forums with at least 2000 members and race is brought up almost everytime Team USA plays basketball.

Why do I care about "stupid" polls? Because they show the opinion of people. That's why. 51.4% wants Team USA to lose according to an ESPN poll.

I'll type this again for the dumb and deaf: Race is always an issue in basketball...<i>how much</i> of an issue is another issue. You're always going to get people who simply root against someone because of race. Anyone who denies racism is absent in this country(or even this world) is completely out of their mind.

http://www.sportsline.com/messages/m...3548874-djlee3
    This is just one man's opinion of the situation and I don't see it as playing the race card because there are some individuals who do feel that the team is "too black". I hope and believe that this population is the minority, but it does exist and if he wants to write about it, so be it.
    That's exactly my point. Why do you tend to hear someone trying to shout really loud over many talking possitive things.

http://www.sportsline.com/messages/m...3548874-djlee3

That's exactly my point. Why do you tend to hear someone trying to shout really loud over many talking possitive things.
    You just quoted part of what I was trying to say. If you read all the messages in that article, you'll find other users agreeing with Jason Whitlock. That goes to show you that what you said about BB forums being in support of Team USA is completely false.

I never said all of America was against Team USA. I said that <i><b><u>some</i></u></b> of America is against Team USA simply because they are all black.

I know a lot of countries are jealous(though many won't admit and I'm not accusing you of it) of the US' success. I probably would be too if I were to live in another country, but if you're going to make outrageous statements like that, at least have the courtesy to defend your arguments and not discount the facts that I have presented.
    Haha, that's hilarious.

Go NZ! Yay we did so well in the Men's Triathlon. And just the other night, the males where getting hassled on TV about them not winning anything XD

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    Haha, that's hilarious.

Go NZ! Yay we did so well in the Men's Triathlon. And just the other night, the males where getting hassled on TV about them not winning anything XD
    How is it hilarious? You deny any international jealousy of the US dominance of the olympics?

How is it hilarious? You deny any international jealousy of the US dominance of the olympics?
    Just because I thought it was funny doesn't mean I'm implying something. I'm sure there are SOME countries out there jealous of the US, or any other country doing well in the Olympics. However I would've used 'admired' rather than 'jealous'.

Just because I thought it was funny doesn't mean I'm implying something. I'm sure there are SOME countries out there jealous of the US, or any other country doing well in the Olympics. However I would've used 'admired' rather than 'jealous'.
    Well, trust me...when I was in Canada and Australia...there certainly wasn't any admiration of the US. Some country admires the US, but I know plenty more hate it.

Heh, it's funny during the men's 200m that the fans interrupted the race for about 10 minutes.

Chants of "Hellas" delayed the start of the race. Apparently some Greek newspaper stated that there was an American conspiracy to keep Kentaris(the Sydney 2000 gold medalist who missed a drug test and was banned from competition and won't represent his home country) out of the race. Apparently(I know I use this word a lot) these were the tickets that were hardest to get and the most expensive. So the home crowd were disappointed that Kentaris wasn't in the race. The 3 Americans swept the medals in the process.

Well, trust me...when I was in Canada and Australia...there certainly wasn't any admiration of the US. Some country admires the US, but I know plenty more hate it.
    Are you saying you went to Canada/Australia during the Olympics or are you using them as a general example of countries that don't like America? Because it's unlikely countries would hate another just because of their Olympic success (which is what I was refering to when using the term 'admired' - not taking into account any political/social factors.)

Are you saying you went to Canada/Australia during the Olympics or are you using them as a general example of countries that don't like America? Because it's unlikely countries would hate another just because of their Olympic success (which is what I was refering to when using the term 'admired' - not taking into account any political/social factors.)
    No, maybe I didn't state myself in a way I wanted people to understand me, but when I was in Australia(after the olympics, where I wore my USA jersey in Sydney) I didn't exactly get the nice, warm welcome from some people. I was in Canada right before the olympics in 1992(though I was very young), I remember that many people simply stated that the US was overated and called US athletes dirty players.

This isn't to say that every one in every country is jealous of the US, it's to say that some people in some countries are jealous of the US. Though I know some admire the US.