Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Unofficial Olympics Thread

Default Unofficial Olympics Thread

Okay, anyone READY FOR EXCITEMENT?!!!

Well, maybe not. But personally, I always loved the Summer games. I mean the Winter games are fun to watch, but the summer games is where my heart is.

I'm always hyped up about the Olympics because they are only held every 4 years, it's always a great opportunity to watch something rare. This year however, I'm sorely disappointed in Greece's preparation for the Olympics.

There has been blackouts, traffic jams, lackluster ticket sales, and poor security in Athens and the Athens area. I mean I know the committee didn't have a crystal ball in 1996 when they made this decision, but this is really pathetic. I personally thought the Sydney games were the best Olympics(Winter or Summer) period. There's nothing from the Greek government to make me change that.

Not only that, the US isn't sending its best athletes now. There's doping allegations involved and I've lost all faith in Marion Jones. Tim Montgomery, the self proclaimed fastest man ever, didn't even come close to qualifying...and neither did Marion Jones. The only true favorite now is Maurice Greene, who is one of my favorite athletes ever. He even criticized Jones and Montgomery(fellow US track athletes) and felt they should be banned for good, and I agree.

The Dream Team is sending its B-List stars(with exception to Tim Duncan and Allen Iverson) and could be the worst Dreamteam since the Dreamteam started back in 1992. All because NBA players are lazy and don't want to go because they're too spoiled.

My gold medal predictions: I think Michael Phelps will win at least 3 gold medals in swimming, the Yugoslavia or Argentina team to get gold in basketball, Maurice Greene(USA) to win the 100m dash and set a new record, and the Chinese national team to win gold in gymnastics(men).

I haven't read all the articles, but I'm catching up on it. But I'm just a huge fan of these games...they make me watch sports I would never watch outside of the Olympics like track and field, swimming, skiing, etc.
    Last edited by Dingo Jellybean; 08-04-2004 at 12:30 AM.

I like the Winter Games better. Mainly because the premier sport that TV shows 24/7 is Gymnastics, and I'm sorry, but those girls just don't have enough "substance" for me to be glued to the TV like I usually am. I like the snow sports more. And Olympic basketball is pretty pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirobaito
    I like the Winter Games better. Mainly because the premier sport that TV shows 24/7 is Gymnastics, and I'm sorry, but those girls just don't have enough "substance" for me to be glued to the TV like I usually am. I like the snow sports more. And Olympic basketball is pretty pathetic.
    Maybe the bodies aren't ideal, but the gymnists are usually pretty cute.

No hockey. No curling. No snowboarding.

Not my kind of olympics.

I just like watching someone mess up.

I don't like to watch the Olympics anymore. I just don't. It's boring to me now. The Americans ALWAYS WIN, and it just gets old. I'm not anti-American or anything like that, but I would just like to see other people have a chance to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperia
    I don't like to watch the Olympics anymore. I just don't. It's boring to me now. The Americans ALWAYS WIN, and it just gets old. I'm not anti-American or anything like that, but I would just like to see other people have a chance to win.
    See, this is kind of like how hispanic people want hispanic athletes to win.

Personally, I don't care who wins...as long as it's competitive. The good people should win...not juiced up athletes like Marion Jones.

Yeah, I would say I'm pretty excited about the upcoming games, I enojy watching the Olympics and all, but I definitely prefer the winter games, what with the hockey and the other ice/snow sports (hey, what can I say, I'm Canadian ). Also, it always seems with the summer games that the coverage tends to focus on a few areas, like swimming and track, and that Does get a little tedious after the fifth or sixth time they cut from something else to show a 100m dash heat.

Along that line, something that annoys me about the coverage is that it often shows a every possible moment of a few sports (track, swimming, gymnastics, and I'm sure a few I can't think of) while ignoring many others (I'm thinking of Equestrian and Sailing specifically, but there are lots more). Ah well, I know that there is only so much time to show highlights and events, but I'd still like a more balanced covering - I guess that's what the internet is for !

...Despite my rantings, I do hope Athens can somehow manage to pull it off this year, and we can still have a good games.
    I disable signatures. Killjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday
    And summer has women's beach volleyball...
    I'm just watching the Women's Beach Volleyball tournament and I'm like...gawd...they are like, athletic models. Good looking and athletic...you don't get that combination very often.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer...ory?id=1851520

If that's not cause for concern for the US team, I don't know what is.

Italy was a 18 point underdog...instead looked like a 20 point favorite. I swear, this team is lacking shooters of any kind whatsoever. I've said it earlier, I still like Argentina to win the gold...but I'm not even sure the US can win a medal now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summe...tory?id=1851520

If that's not cause for concern for the US team, I don't know what is.

Italy was a 18 point underdog...instead looked like a 20 point favorite. I swear, this team is lacking shooters of any kind whatsoever. I've said it earlier, I still like Argentina to win the gold...but I'm not even sure the US can win a medal now.

Eh, so what if we lost, its just a game. Thats the spirit, yeah, go USA! They should send the pistons over there.

Jeez, there's 116 events for Saturday alone, which topped last Olympics, which had like, 103.

I'm just watching this field hockey game and some US girl got her face whammed by a stick. I'm surprised they play this early, this game started at 8:30AM Greece time.

I always felts the Olympics should have their events start at 2PM on the first day to give a chance for the athletes to attend the opening ceremony without punishment...especially those who have to wake up early...but eh.

I always love the Olympics...though not many Americans do anyways.

Blog Entries

In Australia, there's a lot of Olympic hype. Apparently, we have potential gold medals in pretty much every sport. Swimming, Athletics, Cycling, Rowing...

I prefer the diving and the gymnastics. "Oooh. Spinny"

I believe that China is leading the medal tally right now, with Australia in second.

I hate how all the events are on live at like 3am. In Sydney 2000, I could watch tv normally, dammit!

Oh man...I can't believe United States is down 22 freakin points against a non-medal contender.

The US can't buy a jump shot, not surprisingly. I mean they're all under the 3 point line...which is sad considering it's only 20 feet or so. That completely takes away Tim Duncan. Gawd...and hearing Lamar Odom speak, he's obviously playing another game because he doesn't seem worried.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Grin

Thank god for the repercharge, that's all I have to say. Bloody rowers.

THORPE VS PHELPS!

Oh, and go South Africa.

The Olympics - the only time I voluntarily watch sport. Hm.

>>
    <<

I feel really bad for gymnists. trout, even if I were serious about something like that, I wouldn't go to digestive-tract destroying methods to maintain an 80lbs physique so I could hurl myself around. o_O

Either way, I've never been too keen on the Olympics in general. It's like watching a "My penis is bigger!" arguement, you know the ones...
    Then again, maybe it was just a dream afterall...