Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: There's only one Proto.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default There's only one Proto.

Yes, how would it feel if another member registers with a Proto in their screen name, and prefers to be called Proto? Or in fact, how would you feel about members with similar names in general? In fact, this is a Final Fantasy board, so there's bound to be countless Rinoas, Squalls, Clouds, Sephiroths, and other character names, but there are countless of original names like Xander, or some people are lucky to be lesser favorites like Gau, and Ansem.

Anyway this thread asks two questions. You're to answer one or both.

A) Do you feel confused seeing more than one person with similar names? (e.g. Squall, Squall82, SquallFFVIII, Squall4ever; Zell, Zell 007, Zell's Fists of Fury, Zell69)

B) How would you feel if someone registered with a similar name as your own? (e.g. as of now Agent Proto is the only known Proto, but someone registers as Proto Man and likes to be called by Proto)
    Last edited by Agent Proto; 07-23-2004 at 09:27 PM.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Hmmm...good topic, although I never really get confused by all the different FF Characters' names because I refuse to acknowledge that they exist.

One of the reasons I changed from King Bahamut to Kirobaito was to prevent such a thing. Bahamut2000X and Eternal Bahamut were also here, so I figured that I should change, and after I hogged Arche's e2j/j2e thing long enough, I found Kirobaito (Kilobyte, or KB, in Japanese). Of course, nobody really called me Bahamut, they called me KB, but still...

A) Nah. I don't acknowledge their existence.

B) Well, there's only one Japanese word similar to Kirobaito, and that's errr...never mind, I won't go into that.

A) Do you feel confused seeing more than one person with similar names? (e.g. Squall, Squall82, SquallFFVIII, Squall4ever; Zell, Zell 007, Zell69)

This doesn't really confuse me. Unless people start calling other members by letter(example: Sita Atis = SA or rikkuyuna89= RY)

B) How would you feel if someone registered with a similar name as your own? (e.g. as of now Agent Proto is the only known Proto, but someone registers as Proto Man and likes to be called by Proto)

I dunno exactly. That never really happened to me... how do you make a new name out of "Triple T" anyway?

I'll just answer them both

1) Well. yeah. Sometimes I feel really confused because of all the similar names (All the Final Fantasy ones), but I'll manage. It's not that I don't like them, people are just paying some kind of respect (If you can say that) to a character they hold dear. It's okay by me... totally.

2) Hmm, I don't know. Maybe a little anoyed because maybe people would confuse me with that other person, but I don't think it's possible because of different signatures, avatars and personalities.

If someone named themself Tastey tart, I would be honered, then complain the next fewdays because soemone stole my name.

A) Do you feel confused seeing more than one person with similar names? Sometimes, but not usually.

B) How would you feel if someone registered with a similar name as your own? I'd have to beat them. Or not. I wouldn't care. There's only one me
    Mugwumps, hi-jumps, low slumps, big bumps

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

There's a technician in Deus Ex named "Xander".

A) Nah.

B) Yamenko

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I'll just answer one, then...

[QQ=Proto]A) Do you feel confused seeing more than one person with similar names? (e.g. Squall, Squall82, SquallFFVIII, Squall4ever; Zell, Zell 007, Zell69)[/QQ]

Yes, I do. Final Fantasy names followed by random numbers seem to be commonplace, and they don't add any individuality to the member. Unusual and creative names are much better, as they give you more of a unique look. Of course, there's nothing wrong with having Final Fantasy related names, so long as you feel that you can express your individuality without being confused with another EoFF member.
    "As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

If someone else registered under the name "Bleys," I'd beat them to a bloody pulp, that's what I'd do.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

You forgot to list a very important one for question A! Here, I will add it for you! *does so*

1) Yes. Damn them.
    2) I would enter the witness protection program.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

a) I get more confused from text colors and avatars. Sometimes I'll see people using the EoFF default avatars and think it's someone that used to use it back before everyone was allowed to have a custom one.

b) It used to bug me, but it's not much of an occurance these days.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Baloki Kyuu (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Someone has been going round other forums using my name (Baloki) and if I ever, EVER find out who they are (And they've nicked Baloki Noar as well) I will personally kill them using their own intestines!
    FOA

You'd think people would register with something like my handle more often. But they don't.

1. Usually, yes.
    2. I honestly don't know.

It has recently gotten interesting though, people have started calling me SRL (possible typing laziness, or possibly friendly nickname....maybe both). And now everytime I see that I have to do a double take because I think I'm seeing RSL, who is a different person. And now that Baloki has renamed himself DSL, it's just all messed up. I think he did that purposefully to spite either me or RSL, or both. (I'm so joking)

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's happened to me when I was Rikkuyuna89. Someone had a name so similar to mine that someone actually thought it was my birthday when it was really the other person's. It was kind of annoying.