Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MTG or Yugioh?

Yeah but in the story Akroma and Phage are fighting and they end up doin some wierd DBZ style finish and they join to make Karona.(at least, that's what I heard)
    How disgusting

Srew the books, after the mirri was destroyed the stories sucked, and btw my favorite combo is 14 mana= Urza's rage +mirri= 20 unstoppable, unpreventable, uncounterable, dmg. Woot first tun win (in a mana drop game)

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Given the choice between Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh! it's Magic hands down, the game is so much better, and it requires a lot more brain activity.

That being said though, there is a game that easily trumps Magic. It's also by Wizards of the Coast, and it is the next step up from Magic. I'm talking about Legend of the Five Rings, and anyone who's mastered Magic is encouraged to give it a try.

Legend of the Five Rings, or L5R, is much more complex than Magic, and has several basic built-in winning strategies. You have not one but two decks of forty cards each, your Dynasty and your Fate. Dynasty represents your personalities (equivalent to Creatures in Magic), your gold (equivalent to Mana in Magic), your events (no Magic Equivalent), etc. etc. etc. The Fate Deck is your hand, from which you draw one card from at the end of evey turn.

The phases are much more important in L5R than in Magic, and you need to think strategically and think of how best to optimize your performance. For example, you COULD spend your gold in the "Limited/Open" phase by playing a follower or weapon on a personality for additional force, or you could save it to bring out more gold production and personalities in the dynasty phase, which comes later. Players who wish to attack that turn would probably play something from their hand for instant force, but those who aren't going to attack would probably play from their dynasty.

The game is far too complex to explain here, but I'll get into a few interesting points.

Each deck is based around a clan or faction. While most clans can play personalities not of their clan, there are special bonuses for playing personalities of their own clan.

There are three major ways to win, as well as several lesser ways. You can destroy all four of your opponents "Provinces" to achieve a military victory, you can begin your turn with 40 Honor to achieve an honor victory, or you can begin your turn with all five of the elemental rings in play to acheive an enlightenment victory. While there are standard strategies for just about every clan, most clans can be modeled to win in several ways, making deck customization all the more versatile.

Blog Entries

Yeah I wanted to play L5R but it's hard enough to find peopel who play magic around here letalone any other game. Yugioh is popular though I'm not really into it. I have some cards for sale though.

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, many people are content to play Magic because L5R is too hard for them, and if they can't even progress from Yu-Gi-Oh! chances are pretty good that they'll stay there. What I tend to do when presented with this problem is I go out and recruit people myself, create my own competition.

L5R sounds cool but its seems that the games would be longer, making it prime for RPG fans to play, but all toerhs probably would stay away from it. I'd kinda like to try it... the trick would be is finding someone to try it out with.. Polyonomous? think it sounds good?(such a simple word for such a cool sounding game... oh well)
    How disgusting

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

L5R games actually can take very long depending on the deck, but can also be very short. Straightforward military and honor decks are usually pretty fast. My honor deck usually wins within about five turns, and that's fairly standard. The turn amount increases if you are playing Diamond legal though (L5R's equivalent of type 2)

Quote Originally Posted by erased
    I'd kinda like to try it... the trick would be is finding someone to try it out with.. Polyonomous? think it sounds good?
    i think it would be fun to try L5R too. the problem is i never have any money, i havent bought any magic cards sense the fifth dawn prerelease. But if you were to buy a starter deck i would too so you would have someone to play with...... maybe we should
    [center]
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Its all about POKEMON!!!!

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Quote Originally Posted by lionx
    Its all about POKEMON!!!!
    Gotohell don't pass go don't collect 200 dollars

Blog Entries

I have so many freakin pokemon cards

Yeah. They need like a pokemon rehab center where you can get rid of all your cards, get some money, and move on...
    How disgusting

Blog Entries

I knwo Iwant money for em. and all my magic/yugioh cards

i would gladly get rid of my pokemon if i could find someone who wanted to buy them
    [center]
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pokemon are like Beanie Babies. Useless and worthless.