Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Ep. III gets a name

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I like it, I really like it.

Then again, anything sounds good after "Attack of the Clones".
    "As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

The only question is who kills all the Jedi? Anakin or "Vader"?

Hopefully Vader.

Hopefully not Greivous.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hsu
    "Yes, yes, apparantly the sixth movie of the Star Wars trilogy...[akward pause]...has recieved a name. 'Revenge of the Sith'. You see, the Sith are a special race o - oh, who gives a ." - Graham Norton

Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Too bad the sith were all dead 4 thousand years before the movies and these sith are just followers of Dath Raven and malak from KTOR :rolleyes2 who took the name sith. (well more or less just followed the teachings) I like episode 2, 1 was just ok. I'm really looking forward to this one though. *has been a starwars fan since he could talk*

"In my opinion the one main thing that hurts this new trilogy is that their is no clear cut villian or clear cut evil in which to battle. In the old trilogy you had possibly the best villian ever created for the big screen in which to battle. So you always knew what the objectives and the goals of the movie were (which were to defeat Darth Vader and destroy the empire)."

That is an interesting point.

Here's my take on what is lacking, aside from the obvious:

There is NO Han Solo-esque character. In any tale such as this, there needs to be someone who is a bit of a rogue, someone who won't always be rigid or fighting for good and evil, but perhaps for their own self above all else. Solo was a great counter-point to the wide-eyed ideology of the Jedi as he was the world weary cynic. There is nothing of that nature in any of these films and it makes them feel more like a debate over which morals are higher when we're still talking more or less about people. Solo was as much a father figure to Luke as Obi-Wan was and that made for a very interesting dynamic.

Sure, they're supposed to be dealing with personal issues, but it's personal issues of Jedi, who aren't really the most emotional lot, so there really isn't as much of a base to draw deep drama from.

Plus, let's face it, the scripts have been devoid of the zest and little throw-away lines of the original films. The emphasis has fallen onto special effects when the story and the characters should be the real point. It felt almost as if the script was a technicality when it should have been the focal point. Where's the element of joy in these films?

Finally, there is no everyman to view the world from, but instead only the eyes of the mystical Jedi and their foes. In fantastical films, there needs to be a perspective that is sometimes perpendicular or parallel to the actual action. Part of what made LOTR's so successful in my opinion is because we saw the perspective often from the Hobbits as opposed to only the views of Gandalf and Aragorn.

My hopes are modest, but I really hope this third film can revive what spirit is left in Star Wars. I was a huge, huge, huge fan growing up, but the two most recent films have greatly turned me off to the films. Watching the original films and the newer ones in my mind is like watching something wonderful and fresh turned into something sad and tired.

Take care all.

plus I think something else that hurts the new trilogy which really isn't its fault is that the old trilogy did not have to compete against movies like Spiderman 2 and Lord of the Rings.

Back in the old trilogy days their was nothing else of its kind. Now during the new trilogy their are many things of its kind. So we are not blown away by the grand scope of it all like we were in the first three movies. And as a result of that we are probably being a little more critical and judging things in the new trilogy that people never even thought to judge the old trilogy over.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I think it's all down to nostalgia. I enjoyed the first three movies (and by that I mean IV, V and VI), but they didn't blow me away by any means. Plus, I watched them for the first time only a couple of years ago. Episode II is my personal favourite of all the films.
    "As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

I demand a decent space battle. It's not Star Wars if all the bloody action takes place on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by darkchrono
    In my opinion the one main thing that hurts this new trilogy is that their is no clear cut villian or clear cut evil in which to battle. In the old trilogy you had possibly the best villian ever created for the big screen in which to battle. So you always knew what the objectives and the goals of the movie were (which were to defeat Darth Vader and destroy the empire).
    I'm inclined to agree with you, but to do so would be to dismiss the master of evil, Christopher Lee. That is something I cannot do. Sorry.

Anyway, I agree with Raine that nostalgia is an important factor in the way that the films have been received. Sure, a couple of elements are missing, but I must say that had ep.I and II been released as stand-alone films, I wouldn't have been too disappointed. It's only when I compare them to the original trilogy that they seem sub-par.

Sure, they're not as good as the original trilogy, but I don't think they really had a chance of equalling those awesome films. Can you honestly say that you walked in to the cinema expecting the new trilogy to match the old?
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

I think what bugs me the most about the new movies are the charactors. Nobody has a freaking personality. Everywhere you look, people are prime, and proper, and have their manners in check. They're all the same person with different faces. In the original films, you had the sassy princess, the rogue and his walking carpet, angst boy with a lazer sword... it was fun.

Anyway. The title sounds lame to me, but then again the Star Wars titles always have. Hopefully this last film will live up.

can't wait for lucas arts to pump out more crappy starwars games. i think george lucas wanted to call the last one revenge of the jedi but changed it because goodie goodie jedis are too good to seek revenge. apparently baddie jedis aren't... too good.

...back to sleep for me.
    i heard you say your future, was looking so grey

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Reyn
    I think what bugs me the most about the new movies are the charactors. Nobody has a freaking personality. Everywhere you look, people are prime, and proper, and have their manners in check. They're all the same person with different faces. In the original films, you had the sassy princess, the rogue and his walking carpet, angst boy with a lazer sword... it was fun.

That's about what hits it for me. All the Jedi are carbon copies of each other and most of the characters are extremely predictable, but when it comes down to it, episodes I-III were going to be predictable. We knew what everything is building up to, and that takes a bit of the fun out of it. They can throw in as many twists as they want, but in the end Anakin is going to become Darth Vader and destroy all of the Jedi.

Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack
    Yeah, I noticed the poor acting through most of the movie. But Natalie Portman is hot. And cardboard cutouts don't have supple lips.
    And they taste funny too.

2nd Protector of the Sun War Angel's Avatar

The purpose of the new trilogy isn't to tell a new story. It is just to try to broaden a story that has already been told.
    Exactly. Besides... prequels are always less exciting, especially when they have to measure up to master-pieces. .
    When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one yourself... when gazing into the abyss, bear in mind that the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

The rightful owner of this Ciddie can kiss my arse! :P

I don't really care myself

The title of Star Wars Episode Three is the least of my concerns, although it is an improvement over the previous two titles.

I thought Star Wars Episode One was pretty good the first time I saw it in the theatre, although viewing it later on VHS changed my mind. The whole scenario where Anakin accidentally turns on the jet fighter, accidentally fires its weapons and destroys enemy fighters, accidentally flies into the Trade Federation Mother Ship, and accidentally destroys the ship is the lamest Star Wars moment to date.

Star Wars Episode Two was even worse. The script was as fowl as sticking your head into an outhouse toilet, and Warwick Davis from Leprechaun: Back to the Hood delivered far more sincere acting. Upon leaving the theatre, I recall saying to one of my friends,"I'm actually frightened to see Star Wars Episode Three."

I would complain more about the new movies, but these two links pretty much summarize all of my complaints. I highly recommend reading these. The points they make are absolutely hilarious, and true.

http://www.lanceandeskimo.com/chefel...sons1-10.shtml
    http://www.lanceandeskimo.com/chefel...4reasons.shtml
    Last edited by Storm; 08-01-2004 at 10:48 PM.

Blog Entries

I've been watching the other movies the last few nights and all I can say is... I WANT EPISODE III NOW! I love star wars and always have as I said in my earlier post. The titles don't really bother me I mean yes, they could have been better but oh well. I actually didn't mind the acting in II just because I lov star wars and the fact that they're making/made the first three made me happy. Of I and II, II is my favorite and well, I can't choose between the others I love them all equally.