Thread: Contradictions between the old Star Wars trilogy and the new Star Wars trilogy

Default Contradictions between the old Star Wars trilogy and the new Star Wars trilogy

Let's put aside any kind of feelings about the movies we may have and let's try to focus on any contradictions that their seems to be between the new movies and old movies.

A couple I have noticed are

1. In A New Hope when Obi Wan first sees Artoo he doesn't seem to have any idea who Artoo is (and C3PO as well for that matter). Yet in the new trilogy we find out that the two droids have been flying around with the crew during the first two (and probably the third movie as well).

2. Also in a New Hope when Obi Wan is telling Luke about his father the way he talks about him would make you think Obi Wan didn't meet Anakin until he was mostly grown already. Yet in the new trilogy we find out that he met Anakin when he was only 9 and had been with him ever since.

3. He also speaks of Anakin as though he was a fellow peer of his and not an understudy and seems to exagerate Anakin's skills from what we have found out really were.

Though the reasons for all this could be at the time Lucas was making the first Star Wars he didn't have in his head what the other movies would be like. But you would think once he did decide to continue on he would make what was described by the characters in a New Hope as a basis for what the other characters would be like.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

It sounds like Lucas is making it up as he goes along.

Ah well, as long as the movies are watchable, I don't really mind.
    "As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

I agree with you on your last two points, but the first one...I'm not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by darkchrono
    1. In A New Hope when Obi Wan first sees Artoo he doesn't seem to have any idea who Artoo is (and C3PO as well for that matter). Yet in the new trilogy we find out that the two droids have been flying around with the crew during the first two (and probably the third movie as well).
    Obi-Wan was never shown in ep. I or II to have seen C3PO. C3P0 was only seen by Qui-Gon in ep. I (since Obi-Wan stayed on the Queen's ship) and left behind when Anakin finally left. He was later taken from Tatooine by Anakin and Padme in ep. II, before being left behind again in the arena on Geonosis. Obi-Wan would only have seen him during the battle, at which point he probably wouldn't have had time to acknowledge the presence of a protocol droid.

As for Artoo, there are a number of Astromechs based on the same design. The only differences between R2 units are the colour of their markings, and it would be highly unusual if Artoo's paint job was entirely unique.

However, your other two points are sound. Well noticed.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

and on the third point, when does he exagerate his power?

remember we have not seen anakin at his peak of power yet. so who is to say he is not hyper powerful, perhaps killiing master windu, perhaps defeating yoda and only being stopped by (SPOILER)obi-wan knocking him into a volcano
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The droids don't remember being on Tatooine before! Hell, 3PO was <i>made</i> there. They also tell Luke they haven't seen much action, yet they were right in the middle of that huge Jedi battle at the arena. Maybe their memory will get erased in the third film or something.

3. He also speaks of Anakin as though he was a fellow peer of his and not an understudy and seems to exagerate Anakin's skills from what we have found out really were.
    Obi-Wan does say that he tried to 'train' Anakin though. He says something like 'I could not instruct him as well as Yoda could' or something like that. That works enough for me in terms of the understudy bit. As for Anakin's skills, the boy seemed to hold his own against Dooku where Ob-Wan was struggling. He also showed his skills in the opening chase scene, finding the assassin where Obi-Wan was yelling and didn't seem to know what was going on. I doubt Kenobi would have been able to leap from the ship like that and land on the chick's car.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder
    The droids don't remember being on Tatooine before! Hell, 3PO was <i>made</i> there. They also tell Luke they haven't seen much action, yet they were right in the middle of that huge Jedi battle at the arena. Maybe their memory will get erased in the third film or something.
    You're may well be right, but Threepio and Artoo suffered a lot of wear and tear during their adventures betweem eps. III and IV. Maybe some sort of memory alteration could have occured? It's unlikely, but possible.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Point 1: Maybe this is the solution, but the droids get their memory erased. So the droids don't know Obi-Wan. Then Obi-Wan indeed didn't ever see C3PO. And the only droid he ever owned was the one in his ship in Episode II. Don't forget Obi-Wan said in Episode IV: "I don't remember ever owning a droid like this". That doesn't mean he never met them.

Point 2: Episode I was a very very big mistake of George Lucas. You're absoluty right on this point

Point 3: Don't forget in Episode II they are actually friends with each other. Also master and Padawan, but they are friends. Anakin says a few times he thinks that Obi-Wan is a father to him. And that he never will kill him (That turned out to be wrong!!).

I think I got a few points here, but I could be wrong. I don't have the actual script aside my, so I could be wrong, but I also could be right

Moogle:
    1. Catlike creature. Has a large red ball on it's head attached by a long hair. Some can fly. Some can fight. Some are lazy bastards. All say Kupo (or Puu)

Let's put aside any kind of feelings about the movies we may have and let's try to focus on any contradictions that their seems to be between the new movies and old movies.

A couple I have noticed are

2. Also in a New Hope when Obi Wan is telling Luke about his father the way he talks about him would make you think Obi Wan didn't meet Anakin until he was mostly grown already. Yet in the new trilogy we find out that he met Anakin when he was only 9 and had been with him ever since.

1. The leap between ep 3 and 4 probably has a decade or of their time in between, that's probably why he can't remember conidering he's an old man.

2. He didn't really concider Anikan a Padawan untill Episode 2 when Anikan was all grown up, either that or Anikan had really big Jedi strenghts while he was still young

3. As I stated, Anni had strong force strengths when he was realy young.