Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Name that (insert landform)!

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Name that (insert landform)!

Ok, BoB and I have decided to give each continent and archipelago a name. Now, on or near each continent/archipelagos are unnamed forests, mountains, and various forms of water. We'll be allowing you to name them.

Here are the names of the continents/archipelagos:
    Annifontia, Dominia, Eisgaea, Myridia, and Verdantia

Recognize some of the names?

Anyway, here's the map. Now get to naming the rest of Eizon's natural features.

HINT!: Most of the scattered green areas on Eizon are your typical forests/woods. The dark green area of region 1, or Myridia, is a particularly dense coniferous forest mostly full of pinetrees. The kind of forest you may find in the Northwest area of the US, and in the Scandinavian countries. The forest in region 7, or the left island of the Annifontia, is a rainforest/jungle. Keep that in mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Yeah Verdantia! I assume it describes a lush, verdant place, of course...

I think the desert on the main island of the Verdantia area should be called the Yrrid (YUH-rid) Desert.

And the river running through the main island should be called the Cleft River. (cleft the island in twain!)

I dunno, really - I'm happy Verdantia was chosen for a region. I tried thinking of naming something after myself, but Neel doesn't really flow well with anything I could think of, nor does princeofdarknez. Shame.

Contributions
    • Hosted EoFF Elections event
    • Contributions to Eizon project

I name the big mountain in Dominia Tulivaara, the island Ahma and the southern forest Verisalo.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by princeofdarknez
    Yeah Verdantia! I assume it describes a lush, verdant place, of course...
    You could say that.

I think the desert on the main island of the Verdantia area should be called the Yrrid (YUH-rid) Desert.
    That's no desert. Deserts are obviously bright yellowish. That "desert" is like the plains with grains and stuff. Yrrid Plains should work.

And the river running through the main island should be called the Cleft River. (cleft the island in twain!)
    xD

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Contributions

And the eastern isle from Ahma I'll call, starting from the north, Pohja, Itä, Etä and Lounas, which translate to "Bottom" (from which the word "pohjoinen", north is derived), "east", "far (away)" (from which etelä, "south" is derived), and "lounas", which is the actual name for south-west.

Finnish has individual names for EIGHT cardinal points on the compass - though it seems no one remembers the order for the intermediate points. Starting from north, moving clockwise, they are: pohjoinen, koillinen, itä, kaakko, etelä, lounas, länsi, luode. Which, I hear is pretty unique.

EDIT:

And while I'm at it, I'm giving names to the land-masses, too!

Left to right, Myritiä, Vertanttia, Eiskaja, Anivonttia, and Kotosaaret.

The river in Eiskaja is obviously Jakojoki. The island south of Vertanttia is Mousari, and the easternmost island in Anivonttia is Tammila.

Ach, I'm naming the islands west of my realm!
    North to south, Piensaari, Suursaari, Siniviiri, Punaviiri, Viherviiri and Keltaviiri.
    Last edited by Nait; 08-02-2004 at 12:00 AM.

[q=pr00t]That's no desert. Deserts are obviously bright yellowish. That "desert" is like the plains with grains and stuff. Yrrid Plains should work.[/q]
    *smacks self*

The mountains on Verdantia should be called the Alte Spitze or Alte Berg.
    (German for Ancient Peak, I think.)

And that little mountain on the SW corner of the mainland of Verdantia? Name it Verdriet Mountain - it is the sore thumb ruining the tranquil, serene, and perfect landscape of the Verdantian continent. Some believe is the accumulation of all the sorrows and fears ignored by the peoples of Verdantia, who prefer to live in their wondrous habitat of innocence. Religious cults can form around this mountain, which would be cool.
    (Verdriet is Dutch for sorrow, I think? Cool because it feels as if the peoples of the continent tried to cover up its symbolism by naming it similar to the "perfect" continent where they live.)

Just a quick question, what continent does region 6 belong to?
    Annifontia, or Myridia

i propose the water inbetween the northern penninsula & north western penn. between Eisgaea and Verdantia be call Surquin Straight

I propose that the moutains on the north-western island of Verdantia (Region 16) be called the Korma Range.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Contributions

Ooh, the waters!

Well, the waters south of Ahma is called... Kaukameri.
    East, between Ahma and the Ilmansaaret, I name Suolavesi.
    West, between Ahma and the Kivisaarikko is Hopeavesi.
    North of Ahma, between Vertanttia and Eiskaja, is Pohjan Valtameri.
    To the west, beyond Kivisaarikko, south of Eiskaja and east of Anivonttia is Läntinen.
    The. What'sitcalled. Thingie in land, opens to the sea. Not harbour... Gulf. No, bay! The bay to which Jakojoki runs is of course Jakolahti.
    The island southeast of Mousari? That's Eiskari.
    The two islands south of Eiskaja? Varinen and Orinen.
    The straits between islands in Ilmansaaret are, counting from Ahma clockwards, Ahmantie, Pohjantie, Koillansalmi, and Lännentie.
    The straits between the islands in Kivisaarikko are, counting widdershins, and not counting the area between Piensaari and Ahma, Pikkutie, Eiskajansalmi, Sinisalmi, Ulkosalmi and Sisäsalmi. There area between Punasaari and the others is not a named strait.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Nait, before you name absoloutely everything in regions that are inhabited by other nations, keep in mind that this thread is mainly for things that exist in multiple regions - in other words, if someone lives on an island, they can name that island if they want to. Of course I'm sure anyone would be happy with your suggestions. I like the compass idea.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Contributions

Well, I'm just giving Finnish names to be used in my realm. <_< Taking first dibs on places that I actually might rule - like Ahma. And maybe Kaukameri.

Way to name everything I own, guys. POD, I call dibs on your first born son.
    Last edited by Cz; 08-05-2004 at 11:15 AM.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Contributions

Attached Images Attached Images

good lord nait, thats beautiful!
    i suggest letting nait color, and name the map, make borders etc etc

Great, the entire world's going to be Finnish. :rolleyes2

It's a nice map, nevertheless. Jolly good show, old chap.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.