0 0%
  • scimitar

1 7.69%
  • katar

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: favorite type of sword

Default favorite type of sword

i had a thread on the best weapon and the last couple post were talking about what type of sword was better, so i ended up making this poll.

my personal favorite is the celtic combat sword. It sports a 2 1/8X 19in. blade set into a solid brass creasent shape gaurd. it has a 5.in long ebony wood handle is excellent in close combat.
    "In the end there can be only one...

Inuyasha23.....it's funny that you started this thread because Ultima just asked me a similar question a couple of days ago lol.

while i love the beuty and detail that went in to celtic swords, the exquisite shape of a leafblade, the detail that went into the grips, pommels and quillions (not surrpiseing considering they were one of teh greatest artistic cultures of man to EVER live.

for combat, i enjoy my broadsword - single hander, hand and a half and even a double hander. i dont say that lightly, theres many nice and decent swords listed there (youve missed some), ive tought people to fight for real with swords for a long time.....personnally ive weilded and fought with swords for 22 years (yes real, steel, sharp swords) and now more than ever it's important for you to be able to fight against any style or against any sword or even weapon since their are very few cultural boundries today. It's up to each individual.....but i know with every ounce and measure of my skill that certain swords are weaker than others regardless of style.

as for the weapons you missed, the most obvious are Wasters and Bokkens - wooden swords. certainly wooden swords were used for training purposes, but in most cultures wooden swords were also full combat weapons....killing opponants with them..

Hope i helped with my own oppinions
    The world can end in a blood smeared second, but as warriors we live within those seconds.

Blog Entries

Hmmm... I've never had a favorite type of sword... but I go for broad sword.

However... NOTHING beats the dancing banana sword! :banana: It can kill anything with its dancing awesomeness!

Tough choise! I like light swords, long ones, but my favourite one would be Wakizashi.
    Stop the Earth! I want to get out!...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CloudySky
    Tough choise! I like light swords, long ones, but my favourite one would be Wakizashi.
    Yea, but from what I've heard Wakizashis are sucide swords. Not meant to figth with.

lol. I'm surprised you know it. It's true but not exactly. So my joke didn't work after all.
    A wakizashi (脇差) is a traditional Japanese sword with a blade between 12 and 24 inches, similar to but shorter than a katana, together with which it was often worn.
    According to traditional samurai law, or Bushido, a wakizashi is used only to commit seppuku (i.e. hara-kiri). After the 16th century it was sometimes used in the off hand with the katana, a technique pioneered by Miyamoto Musashi.

Blog Entries

lol. I'm surprised you know it. It's true but not exactly. So my joke didn't worked after all.
    A wakizashi (脇差) is a traditional Japanese sword with a blade between 12 and 24 inches, similar to but shorter than a katana, together with which it was often worn.
    According to traditional samurai law, or Bushido, a wakizashi is used only to commit seppuku (i.e. hara-kiri). After the 16th century it was sometimes used in the off hand with the katana, a technique pioneered by Miyamoto Musashi.
    Yea, I knew that to. Ummm... ok, I didn't know that Miyamoto Musashi thing.
    However... I don't think Wakizashis are very good in battle, I actually have one (a pretty cheap one)... and it dosen't feel very good to slach,slay,splatt,kill,crash with.
    :chop:

Actually it supposed to be a joke, lol. This poll is in General FF and Yojimbo uses Wakizashi not on himself I must say, lol.

Blog Entries

Actually it supposed to be a joke, lol. This poll is in General FF and Yojimbo uses Wakizashi not on himself I must say, lol.
    Yea, I know it was a joke lol... but I still like to discuss it.
    Actually... sometimes it looks like Yojimbos Wakizashi is stuck in his stomach or something, before he take it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Shadow
    Actually... sometimes it looks like Yojimbos Wakizashi is stuck in his stomach or something, before he take it out.
    Yep, lol, I thought it's my imagination!

and where exactly is the GUNBLADE?
    [leeza]Sig width limit: 550 pixels.
    Sig filesize limit: 50 kb.[/leeza]

Ditto that! Whhhaaa!! No gunblade!!
    anyways, I chose the Gradius.
    Signature removed for being over the max pixel height of 250 (including text)

sorry that i missed some but i could only list twenty so these are the ones that i thought of first....i probly could have specified the handle length on a few of them....i think great sword covers most of the two handed blades.....and i should have mentioned which style of claymore.

about the gunblade...in case you didn't notice or you're a complete retard this is about REAL swords.

banana sword lol you loon Ultima

it's a common misunderstanding that broadswords are heavy, cumbersome and blunt, they are in fact none fo these. IF your fighting right and not a nutter waving ti around lol, a boradsword is just as fast and powerful as any japanese, cantonese, celtic or roman sword. the differnce is they are sturdyer. once a katana looses it's edge, which can happen fast if your ACTUALLY sword fighting which means parrys, blocks and blows over and over, the katana isnt even a lump of metal anymore not to mention they are unfortunatly brittle because of their nature.. a broadswords edge is harder to loose, and when it does it simply burrs, the bur is dangerous and can rip someone apart easy and at the end you simply de-burr it and carry on.

yep....see the japanese are great masters of advertiseing and propaganda. certainly america is to blame for the popularity of eastern martial arts but how many people knew the celts had their own martial arts. Sword and dagger fighting is normal over here and has been eve since the weapons were invented.

Az....no gunblade. i belive the list is based on real world swords which of course we all know FF embraced and then made crazy mutated vertions of....those daggers that did have muskets bolted onto never resembled Squalls good ol gunblade

the thing about useing a gladius is that it's like having a little penis. like anything small, if you know how to use it it can work well, but most men dont know how to use it lol (couldnt help a rude joke). romans werent designed for real combat. they relied on hiding behind a massive shiled wall which is why they were actually poor warriors. if you were foolish enough to stand in a compleatly open field and allow them to hide behind their sheilds then of course they have an advantage, but in every case where gorrilla warfare was used, or romans were fighting in small numbers, even one on one thy were piss poor. MOST people dont belive and dont have the confidence to take on a BIG HUGE WHOPPER of a sword with a short sword, or even a dagger but actually it's very easy......not easy for romans tho.
    The world can end in a blood smeared second, but as warriors we live within those seconds.

i can't say that i exactly agree with you on some of that. I'm not an excpert on roman warfare but i think i might know a little. The grunt soldiers that carried the huge shields carred swords too but their main weapon would be something like a spear or pole axe.

i think they must have been some kind of warriors they concoured the entire know world at their time.