Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Religious map! Religions please respond.

Contributions
    • Hosted EoFF Elections event
    • Contributions to Eizon project

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB
    I imagine that more than anything, the racial differences would influence which religions are dominant.

Cultural. "Races" have religions no more than fuzzy eyebrows do. :mog:

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Races = Culture, given that they've arrived from different worlds... a lot of the religions would be based on those they had in prior worlds rather than being brand new.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Contributions

Races = Culture, given that they've arrived from different worlds... a lot of the religions would be based on those they had in prior worlds rather than being brand new.

Nuh uh, race != culture.

This is one of the reasons I feel that adding races was a bad idea. First off, no one's going to bother with them, and second, if you're going to do races, do them properly. Now, we basically have just bland "humans" from other worlds, with no identity, no culture, no religion. At all. The small things we have been able to catch are basically rehashes of Tolkien - and the sand-people haven't even got that.

EDIT:

And to clarify, each race should, like humans, have literally thousands of languages and even more religions. Cultures, identities! You can't just create an "Elven culture" to embrace all elves. That would be like creating a single "Human culture", where the differences between the peoples of the world are eroded into simple masks.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yeah, well, I was originally going to make this a FUN thing instead of a TECHNICALLY ACCURATE thing >=(

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Desierto is mostly Ingmarian or however you spell them. *thinks* Yeah....

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Contributions

Yeah, well, I was originally going to make this a FUN thing instead of a TECHNICALLY ACCURATE thing >=(

Well, SORRY, but UNPROBABLE is just not fun. >=O

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Baloki Kyuu (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I would agree but then I'll get beaten up by the mob
    FOA

Quote Originally Posted by Nait
    Well, SORRY, but UNPROBABLE is just not fun. >=O
    It's not English, either. *nitpicks*

Anyway, I find the impossible to be pretty fun. The good thing about this game is that we don't need to regulate absolutely everything. If we had to stick to realistic things, then we wouldn't be allowed to use the same language, and magic would be out of the question.

But frankly, I don't like the idea of getting in to another argument about this, so I'll leave you to draw up complex resource maps.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Czanthor
    . If we had to stick to realistic things, then we wouldn't be allowed to use the same language, and magic would be out of the question.

Thanks for reminding me, the language question is next on the agenda.

First off, 500 years. Languages change a BUTTLOAD in that time. Even if you spoke english when you first came here... Not anymore! As you notice, the religion map has some hints off new languages, based on old ones. Finnish, of course, it unchanged because it's a dead language, with a few descendant languages.

MAGIC, on the other hand, cannot be REALISTIC. BUT, it CAN be internally consistent, and logical, be it either a hyper-mythological system of symbols and superstition, or something else.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Let's not delve into languages. I get headaches over some of thist stuff already and I don't want to put people off continuing this thing because they're getting similar headaches. Everyone in this world will be able to speak English as their main language through some kind of cool magic enchantment and any other language will be entirely optional.

Contributions

I meant language as an attribute, like the religions we have. Or the bloody races, even. Frex, what language do Elennanórëans speak? I'd guess on Quenya or something close.

On a side-note, when I was reading some Quenya stuff, again, I seeked out the meaning of that name. Means "The Land in the direction of Stars", a name for Numenór. The arrogance! >:O

How's this? a religion with 2 gods and 2 godesses. names: Multak, god of fire and war, Tilak, god of water, healing, and scholars, Zhervallis, Godess of women, fertility and the earth, and Khaisa, godess of thieves, travelers, merchants and wind. They each have a temple in cities and out in the countryside.
    FUNiGIRLS.com

I'm an individual. Just like everybody else.

Can i have Aoism, or what ever it is. i want a religion, and i can't come up with a decent symbol. Please
    FUNiGIRLS.com

I'm an individual. Just like everybody else.

Sai Estranaians follow a pantheon order of gods, they belive in about 30 in total and each house hold favor a certain god/goddess. Also towns themselves favor a certain diety that is changed annually.

There are three layers of gods. Lesser dietys are weak gods who folio contains simple things like flowers, usually a spawn of a higher god. Then there are Moderate, these control higher things such as the tide, thent here are greater dietys who control the most powerul areas, such as light, death, life, the sea, nature etc. One of the greater gods is called the Lord of gods and controls them, called Argane.
    The postive and greater gods are more Popular and the people belive a god is as strong as his peoples belief.

They call there religion Pathehism
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wuggly Blight; 11-04-2004 at 05:50 PM.

"NPC: Sorry this house is sealed off because of Blight"