Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Approximately Infinite Univers

The Universe couldn't have had a beggining as such because no something could have come from nothing. For somthing to be created there must be energy. There has to be an exchange of energy for physical things to have ever been formed. Which suggests there was never nothing, and ther has always been somthing. This seems to lead on to the chain of thought that the universe runs in a cycle. One universe is created from the remains of the last. It builds up and builds up up to a point where it gets too large and explodes. From the remains of the energy from this universe the next is created. But this poses the question how was the first of these universes created. This is a question that will never be answered. No one knows and there is no way we can know. maybe the Universe never was created. It just always was and always will be.

If the Universe is expanding what is it expanding, what is it expanding into? Maybe there isn't just the one Universe maybe we are part of a Multi-verse (some may have seen this film, but I think it's theory is sound). If so does this prove the existence of alternate dimensions? again we cannot know. If there is a Multi-verse is there more than one of these too? if so how long does this go on for?

O.K I'm ansking more questions than I'm answering here. But my point is this. Yes since the beggining of time (in a planetary sense), man has wondered about the Universe and forever, or for however long we are here, man will always wonder. You are not the first to think such mind boggling thoughts and you wont be the last. But unless our time on this Earth is up it seems likely that you will not come up with any sort of answer to these questions. The fact is for a few days you'll think and muse and worry, and then it will go away, and again will be restored the blissful ignorence of humankind.

EDIT:
    As for the existence of God, here's a theory for you all that ought to make some sense. God can't exist because he was created in the minds of man. And as such if he was created by man, he can't have possibly created man. If he did exist he would not be in the form of a human being, as many would veiw him, as creating us in the image of himself would be vanity one of the 7 deadly sins. If "he" had a gender, that would again be vanity having his gender replicated into half the population of the world. God is a theory, much like the big bang, in ancient Greek and Roman theology, whenever there was an entity that the people did not understand, a God was created to explain it. The people didn't understand how the sky was held there so Titan was created, Thunnder made no snse so a god of thunder was created, The movements of the sun across the sky, a God for that was created as well. As these things have been explained, the God's have dissapeared from religion. The God we all speak of is just the same as these just the question that he is suposed to explain is the ultimate one, why are we here?... because God put us here. This is why all religions are stupid because if the question were ever to be answered sientifically, all religions would be nul-un-void. So just because we don't know the answer to these questions doesn't automatically prove the existence of God, and in fact if we look back at History, if anything it proves his non-existence. And now my head a splode.
    Last edited by Cloud_99; 08-17-2004 at 01:08 AM.

why the bejesus would the bible tell you that anyway, doesn't it just blabber on about the life of Jesus and God and what you can and cannot do?

Blog Entries

(SPOILER)"Death is the last great adventure"

As I was saying in another thread... People will believe anything. o_O

There is no "10th" Planet, Planet X, whatever. Hell, there's only 8 planets in our Solar System, as Pluto no longer has the appropriate mass to be defined as a planet. It's like... A really big moon. Of the Sun. o_O

Also, from a Biblical standpoint, you really have to realize that the book of Revelations is entirely written in metaphors. You also have to realize that the Sea Scrolls have been translated and re-translated hundreds of times overr, from the originating language, to aramaic, and the aramaic translated into latin, and all sorts of other languages, and all other translations root from there. There's no such thing as a "direct" translation, unless you can read a handful of dead languages, so a lot of the original meaning is lost to time. :\
    Then again, maybe it was just a dream afterall...

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud_99
    maybe the Universe never was created. It just always was and always will be.
    How can that be though, if there was something creating it, you have to admit, you were always taught and thus you will always believe that there was something that begins it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud_99
    the blissful ignorence of humankind.

You make it sound as though Humanity is doomed forever to be ignorant to the entire creation of the universe. We were created with the ability to wonder and be curious, and however we developed those qualities we always have had them. Ignorance is not bliss, as we will forever question the creation of the universe, but you seem to think we have no hope in finding answers, although admittingly the chances are slim, there are still incredibly small and tiny probabilities that we will.

Please do not double post. ~ Leeza

This is what we call inconceivable. It's a concept which, with the definitions by context that humans are subject to, we cannot define, nor understand, because there's nothing to compare it to other than itself.

As far as I'm concerned, the universe is in an infinite cycle of expansion/compression. It is one of the few theories that is widely criticized, yet accepted by the scientific community, in that "What happened to bring that single atom to such unimaginable energy that it exploded in what was the Big Bang, creating the Universe?" The simple answer is... Well, the universe was there. As our universe "expands" it has limits to which it may expand, in that there's only so much mass it can press out with the remaining energy.
    So, what's left when it stops expanding? The tremendous force has to give, in the most simple of rules of "Equal and opposite reaction." Our universe is quite possibly just a reactionary force of something more, but what that is, it's anyones guess.
    But what will end up happening, is the Universe will condense in on itself in the same way it expanded, reverting to it's area of a single atom. All the force of that compression, all that mass forced into such an infinitesimally small area will create what can only be described as the most powerful force in the Universe: All kinetic energy focused onto a single point, the Universe itself. Thus, another explosion, another Big Bang, another reformation of a new form of the Universe.

One key thing to notice about the universe is... Everything from the formation of atoms to the formation of solar systems, galaxies, it's all in a revolutionary force, the pieces revolving around a central point. The universe's formation is exactly that of an atom, and just as an atom can be split and smashed and torn apart, so too can it be compressed into itself, no different than a collapsing star.

Edit: Geekygirl, one thing you have to keep in mind is that God, this paternal figure, wonderment, freedom, intelligence, everything that you ever think you know is nothing but creation of man, they're just words and concepts. The actual things themselves are inconceivable. In a sense, humans are nothing but self-indulgent egomaniacs.

if the universe expands though, where did it start from? what began it? It just simply couldn't have just appeared there at some point.

... Did you even read my although lengthy, extremely informative paragraph there? I kind of just explained that, as far as science is concerned, as of the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by g33ky_g1rl
    You make it sound as though Humanity is doomed forever to be ignorant to the entire creation of the universe. We were created with the ability to wonder and be curious, and however we developed those qualities we always have had them. Ignorance is not bliss, as we will forever question the creation of the universe, but you seem to think we have no hope in finding answers, although admittingly the chances are slim, there are still incredibly small and tiny probabilities that we will.
    How can we ever know how the Universe was created for certain without someone who was actually there at the time telling us. The only "person" who coul;d have conceivibly been there at the time, the only "person" who could know, would be God. And I've already proved his no existence. So although theories may arise that sound more and more likely, based on sientific evidence, we can never know the truth for certain. And as such, yes humanity is doomed to ignorence.

well I could say the same to you, did you read my part on God as a man-made creation? pretty much repeated by you.

Cloud, you have proved nothing, you have only theorised.

Please do not double post. Use the edit/delete button. ~ Leeza

No! Not my relgious portion, the whole part about the theory of expansion/compression! O_<

Edit: And until we have some liscenced Cosmologists here, noone here can do anything but theorize! Asking any more is just insanity. *explodes*

As a point you have described the Universe as though from the Big Bang theory, if as some say it has been there forever, how is there a central point. It is infinite thus there will be no central point everywhere and anywhere could be a central point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulmane
    ... Did you even read my although lengthy, extremely informative paragraph there? I kind of just explained that, as far as science is concerned, as of the moment...
    OK what she meant was how did the first of these single atoms come to be? What you explained was the big bang theory which says that this single atom exploded. Yes one will have come from the previous Universe according to both you and me, but what seh asked was how did the first of these atoms come to be.

This we can never tell as we were never there at the time.

hahahahahaha, too true. However won't the Cosmologists only be able to theorise too as they won't know for certain either? How could they possibly??

... There has to be a central point according to that theory. Where would it expand/compress from/to? You're going from the assumption that the universe is infinite. Next time, read what people write instead of assume you know what they're talking about half way through reading it.
    I wasn't talking about the Big Bang theory, I was explaining an expansion thereof.

And please, use a couple of commas or periods, or, god forbid, a colon where neccessary!

Edit: The point is, noone can know for sure. That's why we can do nothing but theorize. And to say any one theory is less plausable than another is just ignorance.

Edit part two: And... Stop double posting... It's an eyesore. That's why there's the edit button. :\