Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to get a sports game

Default Need to get a sports game

So I was playing World Cup 98 for my PSX again, and although I had fun beating it, I feel the need for a new sports game. So I come to you fellow gamers for some suggestions. Some constraints I will first impose:

1. Preferred sports in order: Soccer - Tennis - Basketball - Football - Baseball. Mostly due to action and intensity of these sports.
    2. Preferably EA Sports - I've never tried a sports game (or any game) I didn't like by them. However, I trust your judgements.
    3. The game needs to have a tournament style setup - I find league play to be long, drawn-out, and boring as hell. Football is an exception.
    4. Systems - NES, SNES, PSX, PS2.

With that, fire away with suggestions, folks.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Soccer - never played a soccer game

Tennis - Mario Tennis, if you have that system (N64). Believe me, this game is fun.

Basketball - Don't play these, but people seem to like the NBA Street series

Football - Madden! Greatest sports series ever. This gets my highest recommendation. There are also plenty of extras in the franchise mode to make it less repetitive.

Baseball - MVP seies is ok. Like you I don't like the drawn out aspects of season modes, and baseball is one helluva long season. There are manage modes that allow you to speed up the pace, but it gives the feeling that you haven't earned it. My favorite baseball game is Ken Griffey Jr.'s Slugfest for N64. The season mode sucks but the two player games are so much fun. My brother and I have played about 20 world series.

Other - Mario Golf is the greatest sports game ever. I'm not kidding.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The 2005 ESPN football game is only $19.99 brand new. I dunno how good it is, but that seems like the kind of price you can't pass up.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

That's pretty cheap, but I guess competing with a juggernaut like Madden necitates drastic measures. Madden is so well done it's scary. In fact, this thread has inspired me to go buy the new edition right now.

OMFG Try one of the Tony Hawk games. They're the only sports games I like.

[q=Del]Other - Mario Golf is the greatest sports game ever. I'm not kidding.[/q] I know you're not kidding. *has felt the glory*

Joel - I was never much into skating games, probably because I don't follow skating much. How does it work anyways?

I wasn't aware that Madden was that great - my friends gave OK reviews to it. *shrugs* If it's good enough for Del, though... hmm... I also heard the ESPN game wasn't that great, but who knows.

Anyways, I like the suggestions so far - especially Madden. More!

*thinks*

ah hell I'm not much of a sports game person...and apparently some things I think are sports aren't considered sports by some people. sorry can't help ya with this one.

["What I give form to in daylight is only one per cent of what I have seen in darkness." M.C. Escher

Well THPS4 is kinda freestyle and timeless only your given challenges to do by people in the game. Alo TH Underground is cool too, you start off as a punk skater and by the time you're done you're a professional.

The only sports game I ever play is NHL 2004 for Gamecube. One of the or The Best hockey game out there. ^^

Oh, and since you don't seem to like Hockey games and probably don't care for the above statement, please consider any other EA games for the gendre you like. EA is one of the best game creators out there.

I actually totally forgot about Hockey - sorry, I don't think about it much, but it is fun. *played 96 for Genesis*

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder
    That's pretty cheap, but I guess competing with a juggernaut like Madden necitates drastic measures. Madden is so well done it's scary. In fact, this thread has inspired me to go buy the new edition right now.
    Get the Collectors Edition! Classic 16bit madden games with up to date rosters are fun.

I can't really recommend any games, since the only two I play are at the bottom of your list (football and baseball). Madden 2005 and MVP Baseball 2004 are both fun. MVP has it's weird quirks though. It's almost impossible to hit homeruns with left handed hitters.
    Mr Thou! Mr Thou!

If you want a good Football game. (Proper Football not the American kind.) Then you can't go wrong with Pro Evolution Soccer 3 for the PS2.

It dosn't have a FIFA license like EA's effort but it plays like a proper game of Football. Unlike that rubbish EA churn out every year.

For a Tennis game i'd recommend Virtua Tennis 2. It's a little old now but it still plays well and shouldn't cost that much. I managed to pick it up for £9.99 a couple of months ago.

As for a Baseball game best one i've played is Sega's World Series Baseball 2K2 on the Dreamcast. I belive it's available for the PS2 if your in North America. Can't say for certain as Baseball games don't really get released in the UK.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Matty Pie!
    MVP has it's weird quirks though. It's almost impossible to hit homeruns with left handed hitters.
    I hit one with Chavez and Durazo almost every time. It's the righties I have trouble with.

Pro Evolution Soccer 3 is an absolutely perfect simulation of the beautfiul game. Just ignore the licensing issues and buy it. It may not be as graphically refined as the FIFA series, but the excellent AI enchances the matchday experience no end. You're forced to think like a real footballer, and goals are incredibly rewarding as a result. I'd wholeheartedly recommend it.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Quote Originally Posted by Czanthor
    Pro Evolution Soccer 3 is an absolutely perfect simulation of the beautfiul game. Just ignore the licensing issues and buy it. It may not be as graphically refined as the FIFA series, but the excellent AI enchances the matchday experience no end. You're forced to think like a real footballer, and goals are incredibly rewarding as a result. I'd wholeheartedly recommend it.
    *drools* How is the interface on it? Intuitive or difficult?