Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tales of Symphonia ...

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

By far the best Tales game I have played to date. I don't know if it is better than the phantasia remake on PSX but it is probably right there or better.

The only problem I have had with the series is it basically has the same story or close to it each time. I will not spoil what the similarities are for those who have not played any other tales game but this still has the best story yet.

I am probably verging on disc 2 right now and I think I have met all the characters I can get in my party.

The only thing I can really complain about is that they didn't voice over the skits which is really ackward(yes they were voiced over in the land of the rising fun). The 3D aspect to the game makes the battles more interesting and a bit easier than they were in past tales of games.

Overall I am very satified. Make me want to go back and try and beat Tales of Eternia the right way.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Behold the Void's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The only qualm I have about the battles is that the camera centers on player 1, making it difficult for the other players to keep track of their own characters when player 1 engages an enemy off to the side (as tends to happen with me, especially considering the skills that I use).

Also, (SPOILER)It seems I was quite right in my earlier comment about the game being like FFX. Furthermore, the fact that Kratos turned out to be a "traitor" (though that is still up in the air where I am, especially since I think he's Lloyd's father) and I can't use him anymore and thus must make do with that dandy Zelos annoyed me more than a little, as well as the lack of voice overs in the skits and the fact that I've seen but one short anime cutscene thus far. Otherwise, still good.

Well...I just beat the game and DAMN was it good. I still have some things to do in the final dungon so before I do mah new game plus(which is a hell of a nice system the way they did it), I will finish up the final dungon.

I swear this is the game that would not end. Reminded me of Xenogears a lot in the way the story was really big and a lot of history. Also like Xenogears the game would not just end. It always found a way to keep on going.

This is the one RPG I really wish had an epilog mode to it like Lunar 2 because there is obviously more questing and things that could be done...but given that it took me 40 hours to beat(second game ever to break that barrier for me) and all the great dungons...I will over look this.

Simply a fantastic game in every aspect.

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Heh, the box boasts 80 hours of gameplay. I haven't beaten it yet, but I've been playing ZOE2 a lot as well. And I like the concept of a story that goes on and on and on, that means you can keep enjoying the game.

Keep in mind I really didn't go out of my way to find side quests. There was a puzzle in the final dungon that I didn't even do and it let me go to then end of the game. I also didn't master all of the abilities and I was not even at level 60 when I beat the game(I spent 0 hours leveling up the whole game...and I avoided a lot of battles or ran away). I am sure if I did more that it would be longer by at least another 10 hours.

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's rather interesting. I'm almost level 60 and I JUST defeated (SPOILER)Shadow in the Darkness temple. But I rarely avoid fights because I like to kill things.

*adds another reason to get Gamecube*

Heh, I just beat the game last night (over 80 hours). And picked up the strategy guide yeasterday. I was looking over it this morning, and gosh, how much have I missed! There is so much more in this game that I misssed.

If any of ya have any questions aboot this game just aske moi, and I'll look it up for ya.

I've not had hardly any time to play it lately. =( (My total time on my game is about 2 hours so far...) This game is most impressive. This reminded of Kingdom Hearts without the troutty aspects of the real-tome gameplay. I'd go as far as to say it's like a Kingdom Hearts-FF9 hybrid. The battles are very well done, and easy to get into. I'm not sure as of yet just how the cooking feature works, but all in due time.

Lumberjack Recognized Member RSL's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I bought this game two days ago. I'm about 5 hours in and am enjoying the hell out of it.

I am so jealous, I want this game! What's the story like? Is the interaction between characters good? What are the characters like? It looks like a great game! I love the cartoonish/cell type graphics, and I love Kingdom hearts and FF9!

Lumberjack Recognized Member RSL's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Omecle
    I am so jealous, I want this game! What's the story like? Is the interaction between characters good? What are the characters like? It looks like a great game! I love the cartoonish/cell type graphics, and I love Kingdom hearts and FF9!
    Here's my take on it (keep in mind that I'm only 8 hours in).

"What's the story like?"

Upon first starting the game, it seems like a really big cliche. Something about a mana tree withering and the world starting to die. Been there, done that. However, once you get a little ways into the game, it really starts to get interesting. I guess I would word it as saying they have taken a cliche storyline and made it fairly interesting.

"Is the interaction between characters good?

I think this is one of the high points of the game. At various points through out the game, you can stop and view an optional sequence between the characters. Basically little chat sessions. These things really flesh out the characters in my opinion.

"What are the characters like?"

So far I've only had five in my party (I think there are probably more to be found). The main character can be described as not overly bright but with a heart of gold and always means well. Then there's the chosen girl, who doesn't seem very imposing but can be brave when needed. Then there's a sort of generic heartless mercenary who says he's only helping out for the money, but seems to be less heartless than he lets on. Not the most original character types, but they are really well done. The voice acting is so so. It passes.

[QUOTE=edczxcvbnm]

I swear this is the game that would not end. Reminded me of Xenogears a lot in the way the story was really big and a lot of history. Also like Xenogears the game would not just end. It always found a way to keep on going.
    QUOTE]

Haha, I know what you're talking about... this game is the longest game is a looooong time! I was quite pleased that I couldn't blast through this game in a week...and I still have a crapload of sidequests and collection items to go through.

But the main thing in this game that sets it above the rest: the battle system. This is the absolute BEST battle system I have ever played. It's packed with action, yet still has strategy (1-on-1 battle are awesome!). It's refreshing to play an RPG where you actually welcome battles, even towards the end, instead of fearing them. Tales of Symphonia is my #1 of the year so far...and I don't see it getting beat.
    "It's an adult kiss...we'll do the rest when you get back." -Misato Katsuragi

[size=1]Soul Calibur r0x0rz my b0x0rz!
    Actually... I don't wear boxers, but Soul Calibur r0x0rz my briefz0rz just doesn't have the same ring to it...

**Proud owner of the Mercedes Scar**

I'm currently on Disc 2. I like the multiplayer option that doesn't require a fricking Game Boy Advance, so my sister uses the other controller as we kick the enemies' butts.

So far, the game is rather impressive storywise and graphic-wise. Characters are a bit one-dimensional. But the thing is, with the whole (SPOILER)two worlds thing and the action-based battle system thing, it reminds me a lot of both Chrono Cross and Star Ocean 2. So basically, I've kinda sorta been there before.

Still a decent game so far; since the game boasts about 80 hours of gameplay, and so far I'm close to 40, I wonder if it really is that long. When Dragon Warrior VII said 100 hours of gameplay, they weren't kidding.

Anywho, it's a good game for an RPG-starved system. Skies of Arcadia is still the best, although it's merely a Director's Cut from the Dreamcast version.
    I prefer the term "Treasure Hunter".

Well, I've only rented it (short on cash am I) once, but from that I'd have to say I think it'd be well worth it to buy. Unless it just completly falls apart (highly doubt it), it's gonna get in my collection sometime.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.