Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tales of Symphonia ...

Default Tales of Symphonia?

Is anyone getting this game when it comes out next month (or whenever for outside of NA)? I've preordered my copy from EB, and hopefully it rivals Skies of Arcadia: Legends for GameCube RPG supremecy.

Discuss.

Eoff + Fabio = Win Lord Chainsaw's Avatar

I'll probably get it. I really enjoy the Tales battle system and liked Tales of Destiny (the last and only Tales game I've played)

I'm more interested in the Mega Man Collection for the GBA. I've got 1-8 so I'm not interested in the GC/PS2 one. But I'll be sure to grab the gameboy one since the only handheld Mega Man I have is 3.

I guess after I buy Mega Man I'll look into Tales.

To hell with Battletoads and Double Dragon.
    THIS is the ultimate team.

I'll rent it, then if I like it, I'll by it. But from what I've heard, I should just skip the rental.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have a copy reserved, it looks rather good.

Yes, I'm getting it. This game looks so freaking awesome. About time a cool looking RPG came to the 'Cube.

Being Who Transcended All Black Mage's Avatar

Yeah, I'm getting it too.

Since my favorite game, Tales of Phantasia, is of the Tales series.

Though, I don't think it has a chance to live up to ToP's greatness. :S

Tales of Symphonia? Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah....when my friend that doesn't have a Gamecube called me and asked me if I was going to buy it. My reaction was huh? And he offered to buy it for me. I'll take a free game anyday.
    This my sig, foo!
    The hour of our departure has arrived, and we go our ways - I to die, and you to live. Which is better God only knows.
    -Socrates

Default Yum.

Though reviews here and there questioned the appeal of the more "action-oriented" battle system for traditionalist roleplayers, they seem to agree that it's a highly playable (and for some, truly spectacular) RPG on a system starving for them. i'll definitely be picking it up - though not anytime soon, as fifty dollars is a strong spread of cash for a single game.

Personally, i think the battle system sounds refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by square_is_the_best
    Oh yeah....when my friend that doesn't have a Gamecube called me and asked me if I was going to buy it. My reaction was huh? And he offered to buy it for me. I'll take a free game anyday.
    This is quite possibily the best gaming deal made since Atari hired Al Alcorn.

(-o-)

-tie fighter

HECK YEA! ToS is my #1 most wanted game right now! I spent over an hour playing around with the demo at E3... the battling is so fun! Though voice acting is pretty good, but not excellent. And of course, it's got character designs by one of my fave artists!
    "It's an adult kiss...we'll do the rest when you get back." -Misato Katsuragi

[size=1]Soul Calibur r0x0rz my b0x0rz!
    Actually... I don't wear boxers, but Soul Calibur r0x0rz my briefz0rz just doesn't have the same ring to it...

**Proud owner of the Mercedes Scar**

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just got the game today, so I'll give a first impression synopsis.

Battle System: This is the kind of fighting I've been wanting in RPGs for a long, LONG time. The multiplayer capability is a rather fun twist as well, the moves are easily executable, basically Smash Bros. moves, and the combat system is easy to master. If I had more characters with healing magic, that'd be great, but that's just me.

Storyline: I'm getting some major deja-vu in this department, it's looking a lot like the "Cycle of Death" from Spira in FFX, though I'm not totally sure as I haven't found out enough about the whole "Chosen One" bit to know what exactly it entails.

Graphics: Somewhat chibi-ish, but not bad. The anime cutscenes are rather good, and the battle's aren't that bad. The character outlines are bold black, and really noticable, which is an interesting technique that I'm not quite sure if I like or not.

Playability: As I've been playing it pretty much nonstop for about 4-5 hours, I'd say it's pretty good.

Other Notes: This is, so far as I know, the first duel CD game for the gamecube, and it boasts of having 80 hours of gameplay (though we'll have to see about that). Also, there are no random monster encounters, you see them on the field. Sometimes they run, sometimes they charge you down, it depends but you can probably avoid battles if you have to (though I never do).

Quote Originally Posted by Behold the Void
    Other Notes: This is, so far as I know, the first duel CD game for the gamecube,
    Nah, there are others (Medal of Honor: Rising Sun, etc). But this still looks hella good.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I do believe the original Resident Evil is the first dual Gamecube disc.

I am waiting for mine to arrive in the mail(i took the slowest and thus cheapest shipping method). I am kicking the living hell out of Xenosaga right now. Jr. is dealing over 1600 per turn and sometimes as high as 4000 per turn.

Tales and Star Ocean sport a similar style battle system but lets face it....Star Ocean blows in comparision.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I got it on the release day, and I must say I am having lots of fun with the game. Sure, the story has a "been there, done that" feel to it, but the characters and the voice acting make it fun to experience. Kratos' voice is done by the same guy who did Liquid Snake!

The battle system is GREAT! I love how normal fights are easy, but the challenge is getting grade points. Once the boss fights come, you are forced to work your ass off to win! It's a perfect balance!

And does this game look ****ing beautiful or what? Even in an enviroment as bland as a desert, the game looks marvelous! I hope to see more games use this sytle of cel shading in the future (Yeah, yeah. It's not a big difference, but you still can tell).

Overall, I am having a fun time with this game. It's slowly becoming one of my favorite GameCube games.

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The battles are really fun. The character Kratos is pretty cool, but I don't fight with him because I don't know how to make his heal target other people. Also, since I tend to overuse healing techs quite a bit in any game, I tend to find it easier if he's computer controlled.

Yay!

I picked up my reserved copy at EB Games yesterday and started playing it this morning.

ONE AMAZING GAME!

The battle system is so fun and original, the characters are nicely designed (especially Kratos), a sweet story thus far, and so many more cool things about it.

I even got a cool little poster and Tales of Symphonia art book because of the pre-order. A very wise investment indeed.