Thread: Tales of Golden Su- Err, Symphonia

Default Tales of Golden Su- Err, Symphonia

Has anyone played this all the way through? My friend just rented it (because he's a bit short on money) And had me come over and play it. How would one explain the battle system? (I mean, besides "cool".) Strangely, the game reminded me A LOT of golden sun. Why is that? ("well, they're both really cool games..") I mean besides that. Its gotten really good reviews too - check it out if you have a GC.
    How disgusting

Bigger than a rancor SomethingBig's Avatar

I always thought the Tales series was created by Namco... Anyway, I went to my friends house and played it. I honestly don't see how it resembles Golden Sun at all. The battle systems are completely different, seeing as how ToS is in real time. From what I played, it's pretty difficult.
    :monster2: One, AH! AH! Two, AH AH! Three, AH AH!

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

What the hell is wrong with this forum? First all the Xenosaga threads that have yet to be moved and now this. This game was made by Namco...say it with me now

NAM-CO

Go to general gaming. There is already a thread there and ask your question.

Ok, sorry. I'm just a bit lazy.
    How disgusting

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, wrong forum

And the system in Tales games are nothing like Golden Sun games - it's much faster paced and interactive, and no pick-what-to-do-each-round type of battling I suppose you could say it's beat-em-up style. It certainly is in earlier Tales games where when you get a certain item (Combo Command in at least one, I think), then instead of tapping B + optional arrow key, you do combinations just like in a beat-em-up game Dunno if Symphonia has that same, but I'd expect it to. They even have the combo counter thing too, and it's fun to make longers combos using several characters at once

Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

It's just like it puzzle-wise. "So, I'm moving this pillar - wait a sec, I just did that in golden sun! Light this... I did that in golden sun too! This Treasure Box is a Mimic? That's in plenty of games... So, you anime-like things too? Hey! Why have I seen that in Golden Sun before..?" Just a few comparisons. Oh also Sheba, meet Collete. Collete, meet Sheba. (Hey, they have things in common!)
    How disgusting

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

You should play the earlier Tales games then and compare it to those

Actually, you should play the earlier ones anyway, they're still all good
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Eoff + Fabio = Win Lord Chainsaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Erased
    Strangely, the game reminded me A LOT of golden sun.
    Awww, dang. I was really considering picking this game up but now I'm scared.

To hell with Battletoads and Double Dragon.
    THIS is the ultimate team.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Chainsaw
    Awww, dang. I was really considering picking this game up but now I'm scared.
    Not sure what you mean by that. Golden Sun and 2 were fantastic, and so is Tales, but they're SO different. They dont' feel the same at all... Tales has a lot more depth, and challenge (Golden Sun was waaay too easy).

Blog Entries

I haven't played Symphonia but I have played earlier Tales games and I don't think that GS and Tales are similar at all. The battle systems really do differ muchos.

Being Who Transcended All Black Mage's Avatar

ToS is nothing like Golden Sun, at least, not in anyway you couldn't say another RPG is.The things you've listed are in most every RPG in their most basic forms.

ToS is more like the earlier Tales games, as to be expected.

Of course, it cannot beat ToP, but then again, what can?

Gah, Tales of Symphonia is nothing at all like Golden Sun 2! Anyways, I've played the game all the way through almost twice, and I'll keep going until I get tired (or die), which ever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mage
    Of course, it cannot beat ToP, but then again, what can?
    I beg to differ. I find ToS much better than ToP somehow.

Eoff + Fabio = Win Lord Chainsaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chzn8r
    Not sure what you mean by that. Golden Sun and 2 were fantastic
    Golden Sun is by far one of the worst RPGs I've played in my entire life. It is a carbon copy of Beyond the Beyond. Why does everyone hate Beyond the Beyond and love Golden Sun? That's right, the pretty graphics. Golden Sun has a horrific story and the most bland characters of any RPG that came out after 1996, which is sad because it was made in 2001. It couldn't fix the problem that even Final Fantasy III on the NES fixed, which was retargetting when an enemy died.

Dialogue in Golden Sun is pointless. There are times when you have 20 to 30 minutes of dialogue that doesn't go anywhere. They explain what to do 5 or 6 times and then when it comes time to actually go somewhere you STILL have no clue as to where to go next. The only puzzles that aren't log rolling or loglike object rolling are mind numbingly frustrating. Who would have ever thought to fill the empty bottle with water and pour it on the tree without a FAQ?

The thing I hate the most about Golden Sun though is the way they give you half the game. They don't actually tell you you're buying the first half of the game because the people who made it were such graphic whores. They just give you a game and at the end SURPRISE! You just got served. Now give me another 30 dollars.

And I don't hold this against Xenosaga by the way because Xenosage is clearly labeled Episode 1, so you know what you're getting.

Golden sun is by far the most overhyped and overrated game I have ever come across in my entire history of gaming.

To hell with Battletoads and Double Dragon.
    THIS is the ultimate team.

I thought Golden Sun was good, but only that. I didn't have any problems with the puzzles, and the Djinn were fun to swap around, making fairly good custumazation options. The battles were not my type (I like ATP or real time battles more) and the failure to auto-target was annoying, but I still found it fun. My main gripe was it should have all been one game. Making two was a bad idea, in my opinion.

Anyway, back on topic, I see almost no connection between Golden Sun and Tales of Symphonia.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.