Thread: The System Shock series is officially legal to download.

Ravishing Introvert Recognized Member Shoyku's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Default The System Shock series is officially legal to download.

You heard right! The most underrated game series in the world, consisting of System Shock and System Shock 2 are Looking Glass' games of marvel and wonder, where a rogue AI is out to get you. A hybrid FPS RPG that set the standards for such a genre. A game that would effectively scare the crap out of you. All for free. You heard right, folks! Don't pass up such an opportunity, Looking Glass is a dead company (no thanks to you bums who didn't buy their genius games when they were around) and now their stuff is readily downloadable without having the feds after your ass.

Now go get downloading, and get a few extra pairs of undies.

I'm downloading SS1 now. How badly does this game scare you. Does it scare you like Silent Hill would?

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

You're lost, enemies begin to swarm you, you pull the trigger-- your gun jams.

Oh cool. I also reccomend people going to Underdogs to download Blood, not Blood 2, Blood 2 sucked horribly.

Damn, I wish i hadn't bought them legitimately, now. They are awesome games, and I'd wholeheartedly recommend downloading them. Nice work, Shoy.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I downloaded the ISO for SS2 off suprnova a while ago. I didn't get into it too much.

So, is this a PSX game or a PC game or what? *is downloading SS1*

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

PC game. PSX wasn't around back in when System Shock was made.

So I'm guessing system requirements won't be an issue, then... *downloads SS2*

Dude please tell me Thief 3 is free to download.... IM BEGGING U TELL ME!!!!

We did LG have to tank Thief was the greatest game ever concieved/created(*kinda blasphemous on a FF site huh?*). I spent countless hours figuring out the puzzles and hiding in the shadows waiting for the right moment to blackjack the AI right in front of me. I will keep Thief in my heart forever. And to LG i salute thee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    And this is where I say "You've got a will, but it isn't free." :]
    Quote Originally Posted by Chakan the forever man
    If you never hear from me again, it is because I came to close to the truth.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Ion Storm owns the Thief license so no, Thief 3 nor any of the other Thief games are legally downloadable. :P

I just tried installing. To much of a hassle to try and get working.

Just because the company went out of business, that doesn't mean their copyrights are void. Now, if they made an anouncement saying, "you can now download these games for free at your pleasure," that's a whole different story. Copyrights are usually good until about 75 years after death of the beholder.

...course, it's been a while since I leanred this...something might have changed...

:shoot:

if any one can get system shock 2 towork on win xp let me know as xp seems to hate my legit cd :P

Even if SS2 were abandonware, "ABANDONWARE" IS ILLEGAL TO DISTRIBUTE.
    Bottom line, end of story.

Copyrights are not considered abandoned even if they are no longer enforced, so the software does not enter the public domain just because they are no longer commercially exploited or widely available.

Official word from Irrational: "No, System Shock 2 is not abandonware, please don't warez it"

Consider this the final word from TTLG on the subject of System Shock 2's status. Unless we hear otherwise directly from EA and Irrational, all instances involving the sharing of SS2 will be considered piracy.
    But isn't abandonware legal?
    Simple answer, NO. Despite the fact that publishers no longer derive revenues from these games since they have stopped selling them (and any revenues from retailers that still sell them were gained a long time ago, at the time of sales), it is illegal to distribute them so long as copyright holders have not released them into the public domain, and 95 years after the games' release have not elapsed.
    Fantastic games, nonetheless.