Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questionable Olympic Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Giga Guess
    I ask, hav you tried curling? Not half as easy as it looks. Very precise aim is required, as well as weight in throwing the stones. The sweepers aren't there for decoration...they can completely change the course of the rock. A lot more to it than meets the eye.
    I've played it. Not much admittingly, and I'm not questioning it as a sport. I'm questioning it as an olympic sport because the sweepers aren't exactly athletes.

Summoner of Nessie Brian The Pink Shark's Avatar

equestrian is a lot harder than you think, the rider has to control the horse, the horse could throw the rider off or just run away

Equestrian is one of my favourite Olympic sports. To me it classify's as a world class sport.

But Ping Pong? That's questionable.

Equestrian's a great sport...maybe it's isn't fast and pacy, but it's not as easy as it looks. You have to control the horse, and your position has to be perfect. *shiver* It's hard....what the hell is curling?
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D

Eoff Designer Recognized Member Rinoabella's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design
    It's table tennis, not ping pong.

Diving: Judging based on the actual dive. On the spot. No replays. One angle. Enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingo Jellybean
    Oh yeah, and rythmic gymnastics...it's more like a drama rehearsal than an olympic sport. That's questionable too...but eh.
    If by that you mean the whole dancing thing, I agree. Dancing sohuldn't be an olympic sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingo Jellybean
    I've played it. Not much admittingly, and I'm not questioning it as a sport. I'm questioning it as an olympic sport because the sweepers aren't exactly athletes.
    That's more along the lines of what I was thinking. But then by the same token, the same aim curlers require are also required by archers and sharpshooters and whatnot, and those seem to be "Olympian"... *shrugs*

What happened to the Rugby 7's this time around. I'm sure there was a competetion in Sydney.

I would like to see 20-20 Cricket at the Olympics. As for American Football. YAWN. That will never be an olympic sport because its about as interesting as watching paint dry. Maybe they should invent a quicker version of the game like Cricket has. Though its probably not worth the effort. One more gold for the USA.

As for Table Tennis, wasn't there a Swedish bloke who rivalled the chinese?

While the best Table Tennis players tend to come from the Far East, the sport is also fairy popular in Europe. Table Tennis is a very unique sport, demanding a completely different set of skills from those required by Lawn Tennis. While it may not be as physically demanding as the field events, it's certainly more athletic than shooting or sailing.

Not all Olympic sports should be about athletic ability. Perfecting a technique should be rewarded just as much as being a good athlete. It requires just as much work and dedication.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.