Thread: hey a few questions here...

hey a few questions here...

okay this is my first time playing ff8 so i have a few questions to ask:

1. i take it that you cant press left or right while in battle to select defense or change like other ff's so is there something im missing?

2.how do you get shiva's command "doom" it doesnt seem to be in her list of techniques to learn??

3.i have had shiva and quezecoatal both learn "boost" now i need to know what the hell it does and how do i use it? the command doesnt come up in the GP menu or junction menu so whats it for?

4. and lastly just for the sake of my pride did anybody else lose 4 times to the doctor in the infirmary with triple triad at the beggining of the game?
    cheers
    Silverjunky

1, In FFVIII there aren't any rows you could change and you can use defend after getting the Brothers.

2, When you learn some abilities, new ones will appear.

3, When summoning a GF with boost, hold D and press A continuosly to boost it's attack.

4, You lost only 4 times??? You are realy good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GLR
    hold D and press A
    If you are playing on the PS, then it's Select and Square.

Just another thing on using the boost ability.

Don't just constantly hammer the Square button. A red cross will appear over the picture of the button on the screen. When it does stop pressing the button, otherwise you'll reset the counter back to 72 and have to start again.

When the cross disappears you can go back to hammering away.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by silverjunky
    okay this is my first time playing ff8 so i have a few questions to ask:

1. i take it that you cant press left or right while in battle to select defense or change like other ff's so is there something im missing?

2.how do you get shiva's command "doom" it doesnt seem to be in her list of techniques to learn??

3.i have had shiva and quezecoatal both learn "boost" now i need to know what the hell it does and how do i use it? the command doesnt come up in the GP menu or junction menu so whats it for?

4. and lastly just for the sake of my pride did anybody else lose 4 times to the doctor in the infirmary with triple triad at the beggining of the game?
    cheers
    1. Brothers can Defend. And that's already a useless ability.

2. You have to learn some other abilities first in order for Doom to appear on the ability screen. Don't worry, just give her some time

3. Hold Select down -> Square many a time. The game doesn't really telll you what boosting is and leaves you find it out for yourself. But basically, boosting makes you GF do more damage. When a little cross appears on the white gloved hand on the bottom right of the screen, stop pressing square. 75 is the lowest and if that's what you get, you do default damage. 255 is the max (I think, maybe 250)

4. The dudes at Balamb Garden are all pretty challenging. But you get Ifrit and Diablos cards pretty early in the game. That should make a good enough hand to get MiniMog from the kid that runs around the hallways. You can then get Quistis from the Trepies in the cafeteria or in the classroom. Ta-dah. Invincible hand before you even leave for Timber.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo-Nercył
    1. Brothers can Defend. And that's already a useless ability.
    The only use I ever found for Defend was against Omega Weapon, not using Holy Wars. It can save two of your characters from its uberpowerful attack that hits like 12 times or something.