Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: About the Books

Default About the Books

The "Books" you find when (SPOILER)you find Cyan in the World of Ruin ... are they used for something? I mean, I've never seen an event or conversation that involves them...

PD: Is it true that Shadow (SPOILER)dies when the Tower of Kefka collapses? I mean, he just sits there stupidly. The same applies to Umaro and Gogo.
    Which Final Fantasy 8 Character Are You? You are Laguna! Although you're way too shy with the
    opposite sex, you've got a heart of pure gold. You're a good
    leader and well liked by those who know you. Most of your
    friends look to your good sense when they need advice.

Take the Final Fantasy 8 Test here!

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The books aren't used for anything in the American version. I think they are used to teach Cyan the Tools technique in the japanese version though. But don't hold me to that, it might just be a rumor I heard.

I don't know if Shadow dies or not. Umaro and Gogo don't though, they are at the back of the airship.
    Mr Thou! Mr Thou!

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Also, you don't see any special ending sequence for Gogo or Umaro because they are completely optional characters. Special ending sequence bits were only made for the characters that you must get throughout the story (in the WOB).
    Figaro Castle

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Mullet
    Also, you don't see any special ending sequence for Gogo or Umaro because they are completely optional characters. Special ending sequence bits were only made for the characters that you must get throughout the story (in the WOB).
    Yes you do. Gogo mimics Celes pressing a switch, then Umaro breaks through a wall.
    Mr Thou! Mr Thou!

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Oy, good point, I can't believe I forgot that.

On a side note, the books do do something. If you press the confirm button on the books 255 times each you will see a password in the description box of the items screen where it shows the descriptions for the books, "a book of tools..." or whatever. Write this password down and then go fire up FFVII. Get into battle with a character with a mastered "Revive" materia. Get into battle and kill and revive the enemies in it using Life2 (weaker enemies are easier to do this with), it doesn't matter which enemies or if it's the same one, for a combined total of 255 times (because of the large MP consumption needed, you'll need a lot of Elixirs or such, and the W-Item item duplication trick helps with this). After the battle you will find the Mythril Phoenix, which you take to the guy that collects Mythril. Give him the Mythirl Phoenix and he will ask you if you would like to use the Phoenix's power to see an old friend. Answer "Yes, I would like that" and he will ask you for the password. Enter it correctly and he will tell you that your friend is looking for you. Go to the forests by Junon where Yuffie first meets your party and you will meet Aeris in battle much the same way, except she rejoins you, similar to the way Gau does when he joins your party in FFVI.
    Figaro Castle

On a side note, the books do do something. If you press the confirm button on the books 255 times each you will see a password in the description box of the items screen where it shows the descriptions for the books, "a book of tools..." or whatever. Write this password down and then go fire up FFVII. Get into battle with a character with a mastered "Revive" materia. Get into battle and kill and revive the enemies in it using Life2 (weaker enemies are easier to do this with), it doesn't matter which enemies or if it's the same one, for a combined total of 255 times (because of the large MP consumption needed, you'll need a lot of Elixirs or such, and the W-Item item duplication trick helps with this). After the battle you will find the Mythril Phoenix, which you take to the guy that collects Mythril. Give him the Mythirl Phoenix and he will ask you if you would like to use the Phoenix's power to see an old friend. Answer "Yes, I would like that" and he will ask you for the password. Enter it correctly and he will tell you that your friend is looking for you. Go to the forests by Junon where Yuffie first meets your party and you will meet Aeris in battle much the same way, except she rejoins you, similar to the way Gau does when he joins your party in FFVI.
    <<OVERKILL>>
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

The books have no purpose. The Cyan tools deal is just a rumor.

And yes, Shadow does (SPOILER)die. He doesnt just 'sit there stupidly', there's a symbolism of him starting over in it. And Umaro and Gogo escape with the rest.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

It's curious that they got left in the game if they do nothing...

Holy...bananas.... :mog:

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbominatrix
    And yes, Shadow does (SPOILER)die. He doesnt just 'sit there stupidly', there's a symbolism of him starting over in it. And Umaro and Gogo escape with the rest.
    For a long time I thought that he stayed behind, so he could start a new life after saving the world. Well, he is a Ninja, I guess he would be able to get out of there.

After I played the game a second time though, I started to think that it would make sense. He killed his emotions, so there would be nothing left for him out there. I think that he just went and joined the group to kill Kefka, so he could (SPOILER)die in a honorable way, without regrets for his past.

Well, I guess it's not that obvious anyway, like everything else about Shadow.

I've seen the future, brother. It is murder.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

He may have survived. He could have gone off and started a new life as a new man, with no past, including Interceptor. But I think he just (SPOILER)died, and that coupled with (SPOILER)the birth of Duane and Katarin's baby made for some nice symbolism.

Guess we'll never know for sure one way or the other.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

I thought it was pretty clear that Shadow (SPOILER)committed suicide there. That's why, I thought his ending was so sad. The dramatic string version of his theme playing during that scene also hits about a tragic character and event. The books are just another useless item, just like some of FF7's useless items. I heard there was also a playboy magazine in the place where you find the books, but that's only in the Japanese version. If that's true, Nintendo definitely censored it in the US version. Hmm, the dirty magazine seems to be a trademark in FF4, FF5, FF6 and FF8. Dirty Square! o_O But I've got to agree with TheAbominatrix about the nice symbolism in the ending, such as (SPOILER)the birth of Duane and Katarin's baby, Tina opening up her hair at the deck of the airship, people rebuilding their towns and other things like that.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth1999AD
    I heard there was also a playboy magazine in the place where you find the books, but that's only in the Japanese version.
    So that explains the (SPOILER)Book of Secrets...

really?! omg i hafta try that!!! nah, i'm j/k. hahaha, but that's an interesting "theory" you have there
    we'll have an adventure, and several long trips... we'll make some new friends and maybe get a bite to eat! all cuz we say...

whaddya know, haddi-man?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I love that you guys only spoiler one word, like that doesn't make it obvious what you're talking about.

Mullet does the elaborate fake secret thing better than I do.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum