Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

Thread: Want $200 and Neverending Glory? Redesign eyesonff.com!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos
    I'm thinking black background with maybe lime green text. We should have EoFF scrolling across the top in red Times New Roman and have the FF7 theme playing as a midi on loop.
    Ah-HA! *steals this idea*

Ta-da! click me!

Now that $10,000 will be mine!

(Misfit rated my creation thus:
    lvlisf1t: o_O
    lvlisf1t: o_o
    lvlisf1t: What is THAT?!
    I THINK SHE LIKED IT! !)

However, I am considering giving another entry. A "Serious" one. But that depends on how inspired I am. And if my HTML stuff holds up. Wish me luck

EDIT: Oh, and those of you who click my link, I seriously recommend you use IE to do so. It'll make the site better. I mean geez, it's not like you're gonna get spyware or popups or anything from there anyway.
    Last edited by Psychotic; 09-02-2004 at 03:44 AM.

My eyes, the BUUUUURRRRRN!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff
    I accept check, cash or paypal.
    I you

Quote Originally Posted by Hsu
    Dude, send me that Yuna cosplay pic. Or post it somewhere else in a picture that isn't your troutty awesome website.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SEXY McAWESOME TO YOU, MISTER

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic
    Ah-HA! *steals this idea*

Ta-da! click me!

Now that $10,000 will be mine!

That really made my morning.

Anyway, the only things I can decently code are simple divs, and they're not pretty.... ;_;

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think I'll give this a go at the weekend. =)
    rawr

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Baloki Kyuu (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Xander
    I think I'll give this a go at the weekend. =)
    *Puts away the letter bomb*
    FOA

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Mental note: Save Psy's site design.

That made me laugh when I looked at it last night.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

First of all, I would like to point out that I have no idea how any of this would be done. I am a complete web-design ignoramous.

That being said, I'm going to be spouting off my uninformed opinion. Something that I think would make the frontsite more attractive is a different way to present the news. I've heard different things about the current system/program/whatever in place, and know that's being overhauled. However, I'm unsure if that addresses my personal concern. Visitors to the site have to scroll down a pretty lengthy page to see the older news, which is surrounded by a lot of blank space on either side if you scroll down far enough. Like I said I don't know much about web-design, but page design I do know from working on my high school yearbook and for community newspapers and the like. The biggest thing I learned from this is that blank space is a BIG nono. So, my question/suggestion is; is there a way to make the updates on the frontsite more concise, scrolling-wise? Does this make any sense? I have no idea. If not, ignore me.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Created Eyes on Final Fantasy
    • Former Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon
    First of all, I would like to point out that I have no idea how any of this would be done. I am a complete web-design ignoramous.

That being said, I'm going to be spouting off my uninformed opinion. Something that I think would make the frontsite more attractive is a different way to present the news. I've heard different things about the current system/program/whatever in place, and know that's being overhauled. However, I'm unsure if that addresses my personal concern. Visitors to the site have to scroll down a pretty lengthy page to see the older news, which is surrounded by a lot of blank space on either side if you scroll down far enough. Like I said I don't know much about web-design, but page design I do know from working on my high school yearbook and for community newspapers and the like. The biggest thing I learned from this is that blank space is a BIG nono. So, my question/suggestion is; is there a way to make the updates on the frontsite more concise, scrolling-wise? Does this make any sense? I have no idea. If not, ignore me.
    Currently, the only thing that could be done would be to limit the news stories to 5 or 8 instead of the current 25(?) per page we have. I wouldn't want to do that. I certainly couldn't come up with enough links on the side to kill the blank space either... hmm...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

We could open an advertising space there, although I'm not sure if Google ads allows for external advertisements on the same pages.

The main reason we have so many news entries on the main page is because it actually has an influence on our rankings within search engines such as Google and Yahoo!, so as Cid said, it's not advisable to take them away purely for aesthetic reasons. The amount they add to load times is minimal and if someone scrolls to the bottom then they'd likely only be interested in the news, so I can't see it being too big a problem.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Baloki Kyuu (Sargatanas)
    Contributions

If we made it so that instead of menues opening for each final fantasy game, the menus appeared under the appropriate games title in the menu we could get many more links appearing and there would not be as much wasted space.

The problem however with the folding menus I thought about using is that if the person doesn't have Java all the linksjust show up because the javascript isn't hiding them....
    FOA

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Tip for everyone: When using java, this should be how you set it up...

1) When you click on a game name, the sections for that game should drop down, much like subfolders do in Windows Explorer when you click on a folder (which has subfolders, obviously!).
    2) If a browser does not have java activated, then when they click on a game name they should be taken to the index page for that game, just like they do on the current site.

This should nullify any problems. Make sure that when you do set this up that it works in as many browsers as possible, at the very least it should work in both IE and Firefox.

At least, that's how I personally advise you set it up.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Created Eyes on Final Fantasy
    • Former Administrator

If not done correctly, the java drop down could look very bad. Try to make it... um... look good!

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon
    So, my question/suggestion is; is there a way to make the updates on the frontsite more concise, scrolling-wise? Does this make any sense? I have no idea. If not, ignore me.
    Actually you can also use <div>'s with a defined height and width to make a scrollable news "frame", without actually using any frames, like this:

Headline

This is news. This is news. This is news. This is news. This is news. This is news. This is news. This is news. This is news. This is news. This is news. This is news.

Headline

This is news. This is news. This is news. This is news. This is news. This is news. This is news. This is news. This is news. This is news. This is news. This is news.

Headline

Headline

Headline

Headline

Figaro Castle