Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FF2j, WTF?

I also didn't like the leveling system, because like Del said it's tedious. The thing I did like about it, was that square made an attempt at a more realistic character building system. Because getting better at something from practicing it, is more realistic than say, gaining exp and having all your stats jump at once. Same goes for getting stronger from taking hits. Too bad they didn't realize that that makes a boring game.

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

i LOVE the idea but HATE its implementation. maybe in a future FF game they could create a decent systerm using such principles. that would seriously rock
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Isn't getting to level 99 in any FF game tedious? Isn't chocobo breeding tedious? Isn't drawing 99 spells tedious? Isn't ANY RPG tedious? Isn't the game that DEFINED console RPGs also the most tedious game ever made?

if you're talking about FF1, no it is not tedious. Your advancement is clearly indicated and at no point in time will the game arbitrarily make you weaker.

(Btw DJzen is your title S.I.D.S knight a reference to the french way to say AIDS?)

Sudden
    Infantile
    Death
    Syndrome

Dragon Warrior. In Dragon Warrior, you spent about 5 hours levelling before going on a 2 minute dungeon crawl, but it became a total NES classic since there was no other console RPG before it.

Edit: FFII never makes you weaker arbitrarily, it's a very carefully calculated system that steers your characters towards one archetype or another. If you're trying to make your characters awesome at everything like you can in FFVII or FFVIII, then yes, you're going to be spending a LOT of time getting them to a point where they can handle the monsters.

Yes the system is balanced, but against what? Itself? I say arbitrary because you cannot simply lose ability whether physical or mental in an instant just because you got better at something else.

And I personally loved the dragon warrior series, in DW1 you had clear-cut levels of power, indicated by your level. In FF2 you could have the magic of a level 99 character and the hp of a level 1 character.

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJzen
    Isn't getting to level 99 in any FF game tedious? Isn't chocobo breeding tedious? Isn't drawing 99 spells tedious? Isn't ANY RPG tedious? Isn't the game that DEFINED console RPGs also the most tedious game ever made?
    Rpgs are 4 me the least tedious games. but thats just me.

ffI never got boring 4 me but it was very short.
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Corps
    Yes the system is balanced, but against what? Itself? I say arbitrary because you cannot simply lose ability whether physical or mental in an instant just because you got better at something else.

And I personally loved the dragon warrior series, in DW1 you had clear-cut levels of power, indicated by your level. In FF2 you could have the magic of a level 99 character and the hp of a level 1 character.
    Like I said, it's done like that to steer your characters in the direction of one of the FF class archetypes. Mages always have low vitality, and fighters are always terrible at casting spells. Heck, even materia has this effect to some extent.

My reference to DW was to its tedium. If anything, FFII makes you think more because just blindly fighting limits your options in combat. In DW you just kill 50 billion someodd slimes and ghosts just so you can make it to the nearest town, nevermind that you need to be level 10 to even attempt the first dungeon.

Oh and BTW, I like DW too