Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Disapointing Animes

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I didn't like Trigun. It's true, I let myself be colored by the early episodes which I found to be ANNOYING AS ALL GET OUT, and didn't stick through. I hear it got quite good. But I refuse to watch it. It just hurts

Signature by rubah. I think.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I am chalking your Bebop stuff into the catagory of 'Looking too much into nothing'. The series is just as much about the other hunters as it is about spike. They all had their past and they all resolved it by the series end. By focusing on Spike you limit the view and thus find meaning where none was meant to be found.

Its just like that one beatles song 'I am the eggman, you are the walarus...KOO-Koo-KACHOU!' I am not sure if those are the real lyrics or not but they illistrait my point. People for years talked about the deeper meaning of the song like it had one. The song has no meaning(as stated by the beatles). People just found meaning where there really was none.

Not everything is written with the deeper meaning in mind and this is one of those cases.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

"I am the eggman, they are they eggmen, I am the walrus, goo goo g'joob."

xD

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbominatrix
    "I am the eggman, they are they eggmen, I am the walrus, goo goo g'joob."

xD
    OMG I SEE THE YELLOW CUSTARD DRIPPING FROM THE DEAD DOG'S EYE!

Yeah I remember when I saw the recording when they said it had no meaning...my dad says they "just said that because they wanted people to find it for themselves"...heh.

I guess thats a possibility with Bebop...but meh, does it really matter? People enjoying it and what they do get from it is all that matters IMO.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm
    I am chalking your Bebop stuff into the catagory of 'Looking too much into nothing'. The series is just as much about the other hunters as it is about spike. They all had their past and they all resolved it by the series end. By focusing on Spike you limit the view and thus find meaning where none was meant to be found.

Its just like that one beatles song 'I am the eggman, you are the walarus...KOO-Koo-KACHOU!' I am not sure if those are the real lyrics or not but they illistrait my point. People for years talked about the deeper meaning of the song like it had one. The song has no meaning(as stated by the beatles). People just found meaning where there really was none.

Not everything is written with the deeper meaning in mind and this is one of those cases.
    .I do not recall concentrating only on Spike. i mentioned every character had a personal journey.

and no, the deepness is compliatlely there.Dont dismiss it just because you do not see it. Bebop is a deep philosophical Anime. One day if i ever finish my degree, i will write a big essay on Animes like Bebop, Evangelion, GITS, etc.

and that beetles song is utter crap imho. Even if it had meaning, it does not stop it sucking. Bebop has meaning, but also succeeds as being a fun Anime. That is its true genius.
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

Yeah, I agree with those that are defending Cowboy Bebop. It has emotion and Vicious was a key character within it. To remove him from it would be...just wrong.

Excel Saga is only good in Japanese, btw.

Some disappointing anime for me were:

Lodoss Wars: I have no clue how my sister got me to sit down and watch that mess...but it was extremely boring and made me really want to clock her on the side of her head when I was done with it.

.Hack//sign: For the same reasons that have been said. Ultimate boring with only 6 episodes (estimation) of action within it. The rest of the series was when they sat down to talk about the action.

Evangellion: Was awesome in the beginning, but was so depressing, that I didn't even bother finishing it. I got to the 2nd to last ep in the series and quit. And from what I understand, the ending wasn't that good either.

Azumanga Daihoh: I didn't even get past the first episode. It was too...I don't know what word I should use....My sister said it was supposed to be funny. Ha. Right.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Goddess
    Excel Saga is only good in Japanese, btw.
    Yeah...I heard Excel's dub voice a few days ago and holy crap.
    I like Kung-Fu.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just finally finished BeBop today. I think it does have a certain depth to it in some episodes, but it also pokes fun at the deep animes (the episode with the cowboy in it, when the bomber guy has these grandiose reasons for doing what he does). All in all, I think BeBop is about story-telling. Each episode (or sometimes set of episodes) introduced new characters and told a completely different story. I think the ending was a little cliché, but it did preserve the viewers idea of who Spike was. And it told his story well, I think.

Did I say Trigun disappointed me? I did. But I liked BeBop.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Quote Originally Posted by aeris2001x2
    and that beetles song is utter crap imho. Even if it had meaning, it does not stop it sucking. Bebop has meaning, but also succeeds as being a fun Anime. That is its true genius.
    Ed's point is that people will try to find meaning in everything, and that you're seeming to do the same with Bebop. Bebop may have a lot of meaning, and it may be something you're reading into. I say stop worrying about deep meanings and just enjoy the show. The Beatles' songs are the same... some have deep meaning, like Blackbird (which Paul wrote about the black civil rights movement) and some are just nonsense, fun songs for the heck of it. No matter what meaning the listener (or in Bebop's case, the watcher), derives from it, the only one who has any true say on that are the creators. So no matter how much Charles Manson insists that Helter Skelter was the Beatles' warning of the coming race wars, it doesnt input any meaning. You can say Bebop has some great meaning as much as you want, but that doesnt inject the meaning into the show. It remains with you.

Not that I'm saying it does or doesnt, I have my own opinions of the meaning (or lack their of) of Bebop.

And Ancient Goddess, how can you not like Azumanga Daioh? I nearly wet myself laughing at that show! xD

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

aeris2k1 did you watch the dubbed exel saga eps?

I don't know if there's any animes that were 'hyped' -- I only watch animes based on 1) randomness 2) suggestions 3) old animes I've been meaning to watch. So I guess #2 falls in that category of 'hype', and I haven't watched any that weren't.

So in theory I like all animes I've watched...which is not exactly true.

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

yeah Excel Saga was on the sci-fi channel. Yeah the dub was terrible, but it was never the dub that made me not like it. I just did not like the show as a whole (despite some class later episodes).

Yeah i agree TheAbominatrix, it is interpretation. But i felt he was saying it was not there, all i was reading into it too much. In other words, that my opinion was false. I guess he was not, but i read too much into his comments...(doh, how ironic .)

*Evangellion: Was awesome in the beginning, but was so depressing, that I didn't even bother finishing it. I got to the 2nd to last ep in the series and quit. And from what I understand, the ending wasn't that good either.*

Lol, that is probably why i loved it, its depressing. for me, it started off...good, but not great. Its from ep 14 that it really runs rampant.

And both the ep end and movie end i found to rock. Do not watch EoE though...that is the most depressing thing i,ve ever seen.
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You'll need to watch past the first episode of Azumanga Daioh. It's absolutely wonderful. You'll not only find it funny, but you'll also find each character unique and that what makes AD wonderful and appealing.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Quote Originally Posted by aeris2001x2
    *Evangellion: Was awesome in the beginning, but was so depressing, that I didn't even bother finishing it. I got to the 2nd to last ep in the series and quit. And from what I understand, the ending wasn't that good either.*

Lol, that is probably why i loved it, its depressing. for me, it started off...good, but not great. Its from ep 14 that it really runs rampant.

And both the ep end and movie end i found to rock. Do not watch EoE though...that is the most depressing thing i,ve ever seen.

Yeah, I like dark stuff too...but the only reason I didn't like Evangellion's dark content was because they laid it on so thick. The really only good characters in there were Asuka and the penguin (I loved that little guy). I could care less about Shinji and Rei as well as the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Proto
    You'll need to watch past the first episode of Azumanga Daioh. It's absolutely wonderful. You'll not only find it funny, but you'll also find each character unique and that what makes AD wonderful and appealing.
    I'm the kind of person that needs to be drawn in by the first ep. If it seems pointless to me from the beginning, I'll quit. But I'll take your word that it's a decent anime. My sis really loves it and that strange cat (I saw another episode with him in it and it was.......strange, but not as funny as she thought it was). But other than that, it didn't appeal to me.