Thread: Low levels and Tonberries

Default Low levels and Tonberries

So, I'm currently playing through, and I'm not leveling up at all. So I'm trying to get the Tonberry GF. My strategy is to use Zell's Duel and do that Armagedon Fist thing. However, I can currently only get Zell's Str up to 89, i.e. IT'S TAKING FOREVER. It's working, but I can remember being at low levels and having a much faster way of doing this. So I tried various things. Death, Doom, Degenerator and Rapture don't work at all. The End might work, but I need to kill 20 of them and I don't think I'm that lucky. My Diablos is at level 9 (whatever the starting level is) right now, so that would take another forever as well, not to mention Tonberry would have much more of a chance to cast Everyone's Grudge. So, my strategy now is to have Selfie cast Meltdown and have Zell Duel away. But it's taking a while to do, and I haven't attained Odin (because I would proabaly level up if I got him), so I only have a set amount of time. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to kill Tonberries at low levels and open the fight with Tonberry King before my next birthday?

Thanks in advance

Blog Entries

No if you got Odin you don't need to level up him what I di was make Kamikaze during 19 times and then I fought the Toneberry King!

what i would do is take a character you dont use to much and level them up like there is no tomorrow so you diablos gets to a much higher level. then i would change the ppl in your party so the supper high level character isnt in it and take those little tonberrys out with your supper charged diablos.
    [center]
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Divinity
    No if you got Odin you don't need to level up him what I di was make Kamikaze during 19 times and then I fought the Toneberry King!
    What I meant was if I get Odin he will just come in random battles and kill the monsters for me, which will force me to receive exp points.

Kamikaze....hmmm....interesting....doesn't Cactuar have that ability though, which means I would have to wait until disc 3 to get Tonberry this way? What teaches Kamikaze...*looks is up*....

polyonymous, it would probably take equal amounts of time to do what you suggested and do what I am currently working with, so I might as well do what I'm doing if that's all I have to work with. Good suggestion though.

Blog Entries

Well, do you have Quistis missile attack? I think it's called micro missile. It'll do 9999 the 2 first times. It's demi based but takes off alot of % and works on monsters that demi doesn't work on.

Attack Squall, Irvine and Zell a fev times to get them into critical and then use their limits. I was able to get the Tonberys down quite fast this way.

Be aware that Tonberry King doesn't always come out on the 20th fight.
    He comes out between the 15th and 20th as far as I know. He came out
    on the 17th for me.

.opt

GLR....At low levels that would take a while, even with proper junctioning. And I'm on a time limit.

Ultima Shadow....Yes! Micro Missile, I remember now. Meltdown, 3 Micro Missiles and Normal Shot to finish it off. Using Zell was for when I didn't bother to keep my levels low and he was much more powerful. Keeping everyone's levels low means I usually don't use limit breaks, so I had forgotten I even had that ability.

Optium....I have played this game more times than I care to count. And every single time, Tonberry King shows up on the 20th Tonberry kill. How do I know this? I always use Meltdown on a Tonberry before I start attacking it. I use St Mag RF to turn 2 Mystery Fluids into 20 Meltdowns. Everytime I have fought the Tonberry King, it has been on the last Meltdown that I had....everytime. So I don't know what that means.

it's not possible to get Tonberry without getting odin. He has the 20minute counter. If you are playing a low level game then it shouldn't matter if odin comes out or not if you have encounter none. duh. It's impossible to have proper junctions to kill 20 plus tonberries in under 20 min. In my low level game my party was at an average level of 10 and gaining tonberry earlier was definetly more benficial for drawing magics, mugging from monsters, and dispatching human enemies. Also there are certain areas where only Tonberries appear so taking off encounter none should not be a problem. What i did was get odin and keep squall at near death. then I did like constant renzoukuken and Irvine just kept on doing his armor pierce shot to every single tonberry.
    I don't know how to dance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GLR
    Attack Squall, Irvine and Zell a fev times to get them into critical and then use their limits. I was able to get the Tonberys down quite fast this way.
    You're running the risk of lowering your SeeD rank if you do.

--

The countdown restarts if you leave the ruins. BUT the Tonberry count does NOT. (I have tried this many a'time and it can be confirmed. Mo's word of honour.) So you can go in, beat up a few, come back out and save.

Mo-Nercy is correct. You can walk in and out and your Tonberry kill count will remain. The only thing that will affect your Tonberry kill count is if you Card or Devour Tonberries. All Tonberries Carded or Devoured don't count as a kill. I don't know why, maybe because there are no corpses or something.

In playing a game where you don't level up until later in the game, you don't have to avoid battle, you just have to aquire no EXP. Which is why we have the Card ability. It's possible to learn Card in the beginning of the game without leveling up once. After that, except for a few places, you can card every non-boss in the game. Everything you can't card can be petrified. One of the exceptions to that you just have to run from. The other is a one-time deal and a most of your characters could handle to the EXP without leveling up. So, if you get Odin in disc 2 instead of right before the end of disc 3, then Odin will likely come and ruin all this work you've done. That's why I don't get him right away.

Oh, and another non-SeeD-rank-lowering way to get HP down is to take off the junction to HP, cancel out to permanently lower your HP, and then rejunction it. More than likely you'll be in the yellow.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Keep Squall at low HP and have him use his limit over and over. If he dies just use a phoenix down.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

chaos: I got my tonberry on disc three, and their HP made it pretty tough. What I did was the same as the other's are doing with Squall's Limit break, plus using Diablos.

Trowa: Diablos was a great help to us during the fight.

Rubedo: Be sure to junction to strength etc. a lot.

Albedo: *Laughs maniacally*

Well I heard that it was 20 too, and I made a slash mark on a piece of
    paper for each one that I killed so that once I got to the 20th I would
    just kill the tonberry without using Mad Rush that time, but it came up
    on the 17th and I killed him with 1 character alive: Squall, and a little over
    100 HP on him. ;\

I hadn't saved since the 5th tonberry either so if I had died I'd probably
    be under ground with a big hole in my head. ;p

.opt