View Poll Results: what genres do u like ?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Classical

29 55.77%
  • General Rock

28 53.85%
  • Nu-metal

11 21.15%
  • heavy metal

17 32.69%
  • death metal

7 13.46%
  • black metal

6 11.54%
  • pop

10 19.23%
  • jazz

11 21.15%
  • blues

10 19.23%
  • techno

13 25.00%
  • hip-hop

10 19.23%
  • rap

11 21.15%
  • J-pop

12 23.08%
  • Nobuo uematsu

28 53.85%
  • Anime music (i.e- Yoko Kanno)

16 30.77%
  • punk

14 26.92%
  • emo

7 13.46%
  • indie

14 26.92%
  • goth

10 19.23%
  • other-please specify

12 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: genre of music?(multiple choice poll)

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I voted classical. I didn't vote for anything else because I didn't see "electronica" or "IDM" or whatever you want to call it. It's not techno, either. I also didn't see "alternative rock". Or "bluegrass", "noiserock", or for that matter "renaissance".

I'm not sure what aeris means by "modern music plods along". I don't think Stravinsky plods along, or John Adams.

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

"modern music plods along".

Most modern classical does plod along. there are some exceptions though, some like Stravinsky or Philip Glass.

and there is no room 4 all the genres of music, not to mention i dont know them all. so the "other-please specify" easily covers this.

about my *weak definition of metal thing*, being broke i have no real way of hearing completly unpopular music. i usually get into unknown bands via word of mouth...I.E- Arch Enemy, Nightwish etc.

but i have still heard ALOT of metal, and like what i like, so if i think Metallica etc are its piniacle then thats my opinion and right. i like whats good...populararity does not enter the equation.

about Nobou Uematsu, i geniunly believe he is right up there. i oftern listern to him outside video games because i think he is amazing.

I DO listern to REAL Classical music, i take exception to that. i,m not saying he can match Beethoven or Bachs BEST WORKS (my fav piece of classical ever is the glorious 9th symphony) but NU at his best certainly bests the majority of modern music in ANY genre.

again i like quality music and have no need 2 follow ANY crowd.
    Last edited by aeris2001x2; 09-15-2004 at 09:15 AM.
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

Blog Entries

Classic (There si one song tahat I'd like to dance but I never had ballet it won't be agreat idea to dance it), rap (I like more to rap than to listen rap), rock, dance (Kate Ryan, Despina Vandi)

I love blues, jazz, most types of rock, Nobue Uematsu's stuff (or other types such as classical stuff), indie stuff is pretty good too. Anything with some talent and originality (as long as it DOES sound good) is great in my books. =D

*loves music*

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aeris2001x2
    i usually get into unknown bands via word of mouth...I.E- Arch Enemy, Nightwish etc.
    Since when are Arch Enemy and Nightwish unknown?
    They are pretty mainstream if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by beatrix9
    My favorite kind of music is nu-metal and nu punk rock,i love this music.It express me the most,i cannot stop hearing to it.
    Same ideas beatrix..

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jrgen
    They are pretty mainstream if you ask me.
    not in the pop invested city i live in...

and yeah there on top of the pops all the time those two are, all over kerrang with hordes of mini-moshers...NOT.

god who gives a crap whether sumthin is mainstream or not? that level of elitist crap really annoys the hell out of me...
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

Personally, I listen to all types of music, so I can't exactly pinpoint my favorite of all time. I used to be pure alternative, but now all the new songs sound the same to me, so I'm kinda off it now. The same thing happened to me with rap and R&B a long time ago.

If I had to pick a "genre", it would be anime, since I find myself listening to my soundtracks more than the radio, or watching MTV anymore. But occasionally I'll stick in Korn or Nirvana in my CD player. It depends on my mood.

I agree with the people saying that Nobou Uematsu is not a genre. If you wanted his music in a genre, put it in Game Music. He's an okay composer, I suppose. I only truly listen to the Final Fantasy soundtracks while I'm working, but there's really no song that I will listen to when I'm not doing something, or distracted...well, maybe besides One-Winged Angel (NOT the version played in the game). But comparing him to Beethoven? Please. He may make craploads of money for his music, but it's nothing compared to the masterpieces that Beethoven created.

Anyway, that's my take on this subject. Take it or leave it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aeris2001x2
    not in the pop invested city i live in...

and yeah there on top of the pops all the time those two are, all over kerrang with hordes of mini-moshers...NOT.

god who gives a crap whether sumthin is mainstream or not? that level of elitist crap really annoys the hell out of me...
    :/ What's your problem? I'm just pointing out that they are not unknown.
    But usually, the more mainstream a band is, the more it sucks.

But usually, the more mainstream a band is, the more it sucks.

Psh, I dont care myself if a Band is more mainstream. All it matters is as long as the music is good. Aint being elitist there...

Anyways, I mostly liking Indie Rock, also more Vocal Trance these days...

Btw. I like Archenemy. I got there Album: Anthems of Rebellion. An Arch Enemy is a Swedish band right? So it must be "popular" where your at, but here in the USA I dont think there as "popular" as over there.

Banned

But not popular and unknown isn't necessary the same thing.
    People with general knowlage in metal usually know of both Arch Enemy and Nightwish, independent of where they live.
    Arch Enemy aren't that known though.
    It would be harder to find someone who hasn't heard of Nightwish.

Bigger than a rancor SomethingBig's Avatar

I won't agree with aeris that Metallica is the pinnacle of heavy metal, even though they're up there, but heavy metal, without a shadow of a doubt, reached its pinnacle in the 80's. Hearing today's "metal" makes me want to jump off a cliff. I'm ashamed for Metallica and Iron Maiden. They should just smack the modern bands that consider themselves metal bands.
    :monster2: One, AH! AH! Two, AH AH! Three, AH AH!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy
    Y'know, Yasunori Mitsuda is far better than Uematsu anyway.

And his name is cooler too.

...I still don't get why any of you would REALLY want to listen to game music outside a game anyway, I really don't get it at all.
    Neither do I. I was just scared of being beat up if I said anything

Punk Rock is my favorite, but don't mistake punk rock for that troutty stuff on mtv. Pointless lyrics is not punk rock. At least, not in my opinion.

I also really like classical.

Quote Originally Posted by SomethingBig
    I won't agree with aeris that Metallica is the pinnacle of heavy metal, even though they're up there, but heavy metal, without a shadow of a doubt, reached its pinnacle in the 80's. Hearing today's "metal" makes me want to jump off a cliff. I'm ashamed for Metallica and Iron Maiden. They should just smack the modern bands that consider themselves metal bands.
    For the love of all things good, read my last huge post... this is the kind of ignorance towards the genre that fans of the metal community today have to deal with.

And about Nightwish and Arch Enemy... while they may have enjoyed some more success recently in terms of sales (especially in Europe) but they are a LONG shot from "mainstream"... you'd be hardpressed to find a person in the US (outside some metal fans) that know who Nightwish is... this is not a name known across genres like current popular acts (say, Linkin Park or Nelly)