Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I completely alone??

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

i do think ffVIII kicks ass, just less then ffVII or ffIX.

i dont believe its the best ff game, far from it. however its still absolute genius, just very flawed genius.
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

chaos: Many people prefer FFVII and/or IX over FFVIII. Personally, I like all three of them equally. They have all amazed me in their own special way.

Rubedo: First FFVII with the awesome storyline, and and the dark tone grabbing the player into the game. The story unfolded at the most unknown yet perfect times, and with plot twists placed at the times to make you excited. Truly a great game it was.

chaos: FFVIII was great in my eyes too. Not only the graphics, a small thing, but the tale that remained serious, yet, turned into a magically tale with sorceresses and knights, turned around. Eventually, it will give your brain quite a working, with great twists, and cool characters. I loved that game too.

Trowa: I prefered FFIX as well. Going back into the Midieval times with daggers, and wands. Zidane being a better lead, rather than a gloomy one annoyed on the spot, no offense to Squall or Cloud, for they had reasons for it. Anyhoo, the storyline kept dragging you in, never letting you out, as if you wanted to leave. I loved the mix of the black mages, to Lani, the Red Mage in the game. Truly, it brought everything of the older Final Fantasies into an epic tale.

Albedo: *Laughs maniacally* Here is the downer though. I thought all those games were inferior to the true great ones, in our opinion. FFIV and FFVI were truly great with story and characters. No one was truly the main character, and the storyline put the view of everyone into it. That's just our opinion though.

I think the main problem with Final Fantasy VIII was that it tried to be far too different from the other Final Fantasies. I'm not saying innovation is a bad thing, but too much of it can be bad. I just couldn't get into FFVIII because there was too much to learn and get used to and by the third disc I just stopped caring. I enjoy leveling up in most RPGs but in FFVIII is was such an annoying and tedious task. I prefer to get into the story at the pace I want but I just couldn't without leveling up a whole bunch first. Kind of a pain if you ask me.

well 2 be honest i dont see the leveling up point. the game was by far the easiest, and u could easily beat the game without a single lv up. the double edged blade of the junction systerm...
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster

you know what? FF8, FF9, an FF7 suck. How does seven have any replay value if you do everything there is to do? FF8 sucked because there was too mcuh side crap and FF9 sucks because it has even more side crap. The best Final Fantasy is Final Fantasy 5. Customization of characters plus you get galuf who was awesome. there weren't too many side quests and the final boss wasn't super easy to kill. Everyone keeps saying that FF7 is so great, try to hype something else cause it's getting old. Well If I had to rate them and exclude the hyped out 7 ff8 would totally lose to ff9. FF8 had the worst magic system, it had the cheap junction system(versus using equipment), and it had the super abuseable limit break crisis mode.
    I don't know how to dance.

woah, your on a real new-school ff downer...

FFVIII is probably my third favorite Final Fantasy, but it's probably close to last on my list of favorite games.

Oh, it was interesting in the first disc and halfway into the second one, but the story took a boring turn, and I found myself only playing it to finish the game because I had invested so much time and effort into it, rather than excited and wanting to play because I was actually interested in the story.

What did it in for me? Mainly the fact that they threw Ultimecia in as if it was a last minute decision on Square's part. (SPOILER)More like, "Oh, by the way*laughs*...Edea's not really evil....just some crazy woman in the future. Who is she you say? ....Well, we'll make the rest of the story up as you continue completing your thousands of side quests."

The draw system was a bit inefficent, compared to VI and VII. You could be in an intense battle and need to cast Haste or some other support magic to insure your victory and remember in the middle of battle that you used the last one that your party had while trying to finish off that annoying random encounter with that Tonberry a couple minutes ago. It was much easier drinking an Ether and being done with it.

you know what? FF8, FF9, an FF7 suck. How does seven have any replay value if you do everything there is to do?
    With the exception of FFIX, I find that I generally agree with you. FFVII has been sitting on my very dusty shelf since I beat it. I only played it twice, and that was it. It was an okay game, but it definitely wasn't the almighty game that a lot of Final Fantasy fans swear it is. Frankly, I find myself playing FFIX a lot more than any FF game...even if only to see if I can kill off Kuja faster than my time before. And at least the story was mildly interesting.

die ffVII haters!

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Oddly, I find myself at a point where I like FFVIII more than I like FFVII. I'm not saying that just to be oppositional either. It just felt more FF to me. I thought the love plot was terribly done and could have been better written by a 10 year old, but the gameplay itself is up my alley.

.........I LIKE STAT TWEAKING!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Goddess
    FFVIII is probably my third favorite Final Fantasy, but it's probably close to last on my list of favorite games.

Oh, it was interesting in the first disc and halfway into the second one, but the story took a boring turn, and I found myself only playing it to finish the game because I had invested so much time and effort into it, rather than excited and wanting to play because I was actually interested in the story.

What did it in for me? Mainly the fact that they threw Ultimecia in as if it was a last minute decision on Square's part. (SPOILER)More like, "Oh, by the way*laughs*...Edea's not really evil....just some crazy woman in the future. Who is she you say? ....Well, we'll make the rest of the story up as you continue completing your thousands of side quests."

The draw system was a bit inefficent, compared to VI and VII. You could be in an intense battle and need to cast Haste or some other support magic to insure your victory and remember in the middle of battle that you used the last one that your party had while trying to finish off that annoying random encounter with that Tonberry a couple minutes ago. It was much easier drinking an Ether and being done with it.

With the exception of FFIX, I find that I generally agree with you. FFVII has been sitting on my very dusty shelf since I beat it. I only played it twice, and that was it. It was an okay game, but it definitely wasn't the almighty game that a lot of Final Fantasy fans swear it is. Frankly, I find myself playing FFIX a lot more than any FF game...even if only to see if I can kill off Kuja faster than my time before. And at least the story was mildly interesting.

my sentiments exactly. couldnt have said it better
    "I think good and evil are names for things people do, not labels for who they are" - His Dark Materials

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Laguna...
    You are so wrong!

FFVIII is not only better than VII and IX!

Is the best game Ever!
    Opinions are not wrong. You may not agree with them, but they are not wrong.

In my opinion, FFVIII was the worst game ever created. I'd rather play Pong for 70 hours than FFVIII.
    Mr Thou! Mr Thou!

Ooh my, this is more of a question of different opinions, not so much as the gaming quality... Personally, I wouldn't even go and compare them since all the games are so different. FFVIII was just simply so out there... If you think of it the same way (straightforward) as FFVII or IX, it'll just be like a creation of a 10 year old kid, sure. But when you add such things as the R=U theory, it suddenly gets a whole lot more interesting. That pure logics that everything wouldn't so happy ending-like at least facinates me, though I myself might be "out there", too. My opinion is that either the people at Square were really cunning or simply extremely LUCKY. But for its "mystical" atmosphere, FFVIII was more than just finger muscle work for me. It actually raised some interesting thoughts, for example of time-paradoxes and time. Something that a game very rarely does...
    Oh my;
    :<3:

as for those time theory paradox things, chrono cross raised them in my mind. and the HIS DARK MATERIALS books
    "I think good and evil are names for things people do, not labels for who they are" - His Dark Materials

dont forget the Legacy of Kain-Soul Reaver seris. those had fantasic time pardadoxs.

You either like it or ya don't.

Why continue to keep thinking about things you feel to be negative? No wonder some of you hate this game, you're full of thinking about the bad things in it and not the good things.

And if you can't think of anything good to say, don't say anything at all. All you're doing is annoying people that disagree with you. :rolleyes2