View Poll Results: which of these is the most *scary* survival horror game?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • resident evil (bio hazard)

0 0%
  • resident evil-remake

5 10.42%
  • resident evil 2

1 2.08%
  • resident evil 3

0 0%
  • resident evil: code veronica

0 0%
  • resident evil zero

2 4.17%
  • silent hill

13 27.08%
  • silent hill 2

4 8.33%
  • silent hill 3

4 8.33%
  • silent hill 4

6 12.50%
  • project zero

3 6.25%
  • project zero 2

0 0%
  • forbidden siren

1 2.08%
  • hell night( dark messiah)

0 0%
  • alone in the dark

1 2.08%
  • other-please specify

8 16.67%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: the most scary survival horror game...

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

in that case almost every game made is survival horror...is FF survival horror?

its FPS.whether it is scary or not is academic...imo...
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

Silent Hill one gets my vote.

I cannot count the sleepless nights and terrible dreams I had after I had played that game. Ands that's why I love it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by aeris2001x2
    in that case almost every game made is survival horror...is FF survival horror?
    No, because it is not scary. DOOM is a SHFPS

scaryness does not dertimine survival horror. resident evil is survival horror, but is not scary. Doom lacks the feel of Survival horror imo.

i have not played Doom 3, but were the originals scary? no more so then say Devil May Cry, which is also not SH.
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster

blah blah blah not a horror by how scary it is blah blah blah.
    Please define Horror for me.

the genre of survival horror is slightly mis-leading. i dont know how u describe it, there is just a certain style of play that is survival horror and i know what it is when i,m playing it. i get a FPS feel in Doom, same feeling i get from say, Timespliters.

i know thats bull crap, but i really cant explain what i mean. yes i will concede that Doom is a horror game.

I voted Other, because while I'm not into Survival-Horror games, there was this one level in Thief: Deadly Shadows that really freaked me out with it's sound effects and ambience. It's called The Cradel, and here's a little info. There are spoilers for the game, so don't highlight unless you want to know.

[spoilers]
    This place is a orphanage/insame assylum that's haunted. PLus, the dead spirits have combined thier forces to actualy make the Cradle building itself alive, and prevent anything from leaving. Of course you, Garret the Master Thief, can enter fine, as you look for information regarding the Old Hag, a hideous creature that is almost all powerful. As you enter, you almost immediatly hear strange noises. Chains rattling, woman and babies screaming and crying, demonic laughter, and a extremely haunting soundtrack. But most of all you'll hear this loud thudding coming from the attic. Of course, you have to go there, so once you muster up the nerve to, you find it's just a sad little spirit girl named Claudia,I think. Anyway, you must then traverse the Cradle, collecting various things for Claudia to help her escape from the Cradle. You see, the only way to escape is to erase all existing things connected to you from the Cradle. Thenit forgets you, allowing you to leave. Of course, the are the great, spirit filled entities called Puppets, which are the insane assylum inmates, complete with grates over thier heads and hands. The Cradle controls that aren't too happy about you being there. You can kill them, but thier still a pain. Also, you must travel into the Cradles memories, using various "toys" of the former inmates and assuming various inmate bodies, to attain all the pieces of Claudia and destroy them. Of course, back then the Cradle was an assylum, so now you must watch out for the Staff Members, who look like Puppets, minus the grates. Thy'll take away you Toy, forcing you to find another. Lose them all and you have to go as yourself, fighting your way through. So, after you do all this for Claudia, time to leave, right? Nope, because guess what, the Cradle remembers you know. So now you must go back as yourself, sneak by the Staff, and fake your suicide to get outta this hell hole. All the while the sound effects almost never stop, except in the Memories.[/spoilers]
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

I would have to say SH2 with SH1 right behind it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TasteyPies
    DOOM is a SHFPS
    i know thats bull crap, but i really cant explain what i mean. yes i will concede that Doom is a horror game.
    Don't concede. I know exactly what you mean.

Doom is most definitely not a survival horror game in my opinion. Survival horror has strict defining guidelines as well, maybe not as clear as those of the RPG genre, but they are still there. Examples:

Both Timesplitters and Second Sight are games by Free Radical. The former is first person controlled, then latter, third person. Although Second Sight isn't really scary, I would say that the mere fact that it's a third person roamer not a first person shooter puts it in the same class as the survival horror, at least moreso than MOST FPS games.

Second Sight also complies with the survival horror genre with it's storyline. A typical survival horror game will always start with your character in a dark mouldy room, usually completely oblivious to the crap that's about to hit the fan. And then, the crap hits the fan and your character is thrown into a story that will be slowly revealed over time, as you go through killing the zombies, finding items, getting hidden diaries, using rusty keys, awakening stone gargoyles... The Doom series aren't exactly known for any amazingly deep plots.

A little contradictory, but not really...Doom is scary. But scary in the way that a monster jumps out at you and you jump from your seat. But that happens in every game. Hell, FFX's glass shattering random battle thing scared me when I first saw it. Resident Evil isn't scary at all, yet it's probably the pioneers of the modern day survival horror game.

Are all FPS automatically exempt from being a survival horror game. No. I'm just saying Doom doesn't make the cut. An example of a real SHFPS is House of the Dead. It's not scary either, in fact, it's actually quite hilarious (hehe, Hambone) but that doesn't mean it's not a survival horror.

Doom = FPS

Scariest game imo is AvP2.

DooM 3 is scary as well but it gets predictable after a few levels.

I thought Project zero was quite freaky.

System Shock 2.

Mommy, I don't like the psychic monkeys attacking me with balls of energy through walls when I only have 32hp and a wrench as a weapon =(

Blog Entries

Silent hill

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Zombies ate my Neighbors for Snes..
    The game was so bad that you had to have balls to play it..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Silent Hill 2, being as except for all the RE games it's the only survival horror I've played, and it was pretty damn messed up. The hospital was amazing.
    [leeza]Total sig height should not be over 250 pixels, including all text.[/leeza]