Before Crisis "Official" EoFF thread

Before Crisis - Final Fantasy VII

Publisher: Square Enix
    Platform: Mobile Phone
    Genre: RPG
    Origin: Japan
    Release: TBA

Latest news:
    August 16, 2004 - In Japan, all the PlayStation-exclusive magazines are giving coverage to the two new Final Fantasy products scheduled for release this year. That means lots of pages devoted to spoiler-filled Final Fantasy: Advent Children images and text (which we're trying to avoid -- it's a movie, afterall) and lots of pages devoted to less-spoiler-filled Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII info.

Before Crisis, in case you haven't been keeping up on the Japanese mobile gaming scene, serves as a prequel to Final Fantasy VII, Square Enix's landmark RPG that took the PlayStation by storm back in 1997. The game focuses on the story behind the Turks, a group of body guards that works for the powerful Shinra power company which took a central role in the main FFVII storyline. Square Enix is developing the game for Foma 900i series next generation phones out of Japanese provider NTT DoCoMo, although we expect to see the title ported to other Japanese standards eventually (and maybe even an American standard one day).
    New details on the game have come to light thanks to the latest issues of Japan's Famitsu PS2 and The PlayStation magazines. In Before Crisis, you can choose to play as a variety of different characters. So far, only a blonde female and a red-haired male have been revealed. The male character was once a gang leader who one day decided that it was in his best interests to sneak into the Shinra building in order to steal a pricey motorcycle (perhaps the same motorcycle that Cloud used to escape from the building years later in VII -- we're not sure). He was caught by Turks member Reno and, since that time, has served in the Turks with aims to reach the top ranks of the organization. The female character, meanwhile, graduated at the top of her class from the Shinra Military school, a school where her father serves as a teacher. Following graduation, she entered the Turks. She's a serious person -- perhaps too serious.

Regardless of which character you pick, the story progression of Before Crisis seems to remain the same. Taking place six years prior to the start of Final Fantasy VII, the game will apparently reveal some big thing that the Turks did at the time. The story will connect directly to Final Fantasy VII, so those who played that title (the millions of you throughout the world) will probably want to find out what happens.

Non-playable characters from the FFVII world also feature in the game. Rufus and Shion were previously revealed, but Before Crisis will also include Reno, Rude and President Shinra, all of whom were in Final Fantasy VII. While Reno, who likes to be cool and Rude, who likes to be quiet, served somewhat as comical villains in FFVII, they're elevated to the role of your mentors and guides in Before Crisis. One screenshot of the game shows the male main character revealing to Rude that he's finished a mission. As for President Shinra, we're not sure how he features in the game just yet, although one screenshot shows him asking the player to hurry up and help him out.

The actual gameplay in Before Crisis is mission based for up to four Online-connected players. You and your fellow players take missions and, as you fight battles, progress through the game.

The game has both action and RPG-style elements to it. As you move about the field of play, you need to stay clear of enemy sights, lest you get spotted; alternatively, there are times when you'll have to chase down enemies or run away from enemies who've spotted you.

When you touch an enemy, the game takes you to a battle screen. While in battle, you can make use of weapon-based attacks against opponents and also use magic. It's also possible to run away to escape a battle. Magic, incidentally, is earned in a way that apparently depends heavily on the game being cell-phone based. We're not sure of specifics just yet, but we presume it has something to do either with Online access, bar code reading, infrared transfer or making a phone call (Call a special number to get a new piece of magic? We'd do it!).

The game seems to feature Materia, a type of elemental orb that, in the original title, could be equipped to characters to give them powers. The upper-right part of the screen contains four slots linked together just like Materia slots from the original title. In a screen featuring a water magic attack, one slot has a blue Materia orb in it, while a screen featuring a fire attack has a Red orb equipped.

How all this will work out in practice with real players located across the country should be interesting. We'll be back with more as Final Fantasy VII: Before Crisis approaches its late August Japanese Beta test. - IGN.com

Check out this fantastic website for Final Fantasy Before Crisis:
    www.square-enix.co.jp/mobile/bcff7.html

Note: Don't forget to check out the Wallpapers!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris; 09-19-2004 at 12:31 AM.

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

ohh my god! that sounds so amazing...please release it in US and Europe
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

Misspelled for No Reason. GhandiOwnsYou's Avatar

Hey, at least Noob had some pertinent info, as opposed to a rambling OH MY GOD OH MY GOD! that we usually get with the release of new game info. but yeah, "official" is a bit touchy chris, i've been here off and on for four years and i'm not comfortable with throwing those up just yet.... but my props on NOT being a ranting raving fanboy/girl lunatic. OBJECTIVITY AND PERTANANCE RULE!!!!

And yeah, the game sounds cool, lol

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

Well since there is no ffVII BC forum, i think this is cool. it should get a sticky status ...but i know it wont.
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

Good work. This should be stickied.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage
    Mods are not going to be happy with a noob posting an official thread. Thats like me going to the site staff page and making rules to posting there. This topic is dead to me DEAD I SAY!
    He's been around for almost three months and most of his topics are very good. So if you think the topic is DEAD then don't bother posting in it.
    Mr Thou! Mr Thou!

Blog Entries

Thanks! And I will continue to post updates

I hope they port this onto a handheld like the GBA when they make it in the US.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

The problem with that is one of the features of this game is the ability to call up other players for backup. It COULD be done on the N-Gage (giggle) but I doubt Squenix is suicidal enough to make a game on that platform. However, it is possible that the game will be released in the US and Europe. The phone (FoMA900i series) has been approved by the FCC in America. That's not to say the game IS coming to America, just that at this point there's no way to tell either way.

Blog Entries

News Update

September 03, 2004 - Square Enix revealed today what we've known for the past week: Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII is very popular. According to the company, the mobile title, which is now undergoing a beta test program in Japan, was being accessed at levels approaching one hundred times the expected amount in its early days of testing. This amounts to a total of 1.6 million accesses on the first day, with a peak of 160,000 in an hour.

When accessing the Before Crisis site on the first day of the beta test, had to wait nearly twenty-four hours before we could successfully download the application and begin play. Since that time, playing the game has meant lengthy pauses for downloads and other accesses to the network. Still, we were able to play enough of the game to write a lengthy impressions piece, which you should definitely check out.
    Square Enix promises to fix its system and add more servers in time for the 9/24 start of full service.
    More info can be found here: www.ign.com
    Last edited by Chris; 10-06-2004 at 02:55 PM.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

In addition to being able to call other players for backup, you can also take pictures with your phone's camera and get certain items depending on what you photographed; for example, taking a picture of a white sheet of paper may get you, say, a Cure spell.

It'd be great if you could only get certain items by photographing things that are one of a kind or hard to find in real life, like a wild animal or a national monument.

There's no way this game is going to be put onto a format like the GBA with these kinds of features intact. Apparently that particular model of phone that supports Before Crisis is being brought to the States, though, so we may still get it.

I would like to share some info on this game go to the other FFVII Before Crisis thread I accidently made because when I am going to make a thread I don't look at the other threads and I haven't been to the FFVII forums in well since I joined about 3-4 months ago. Got it?

* I'll post the info if you want me too later.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth.
    * I'll post the info if you want me too later.
    You can post ANYTHING related to Before Crisis here!
    Just be sure that you don't post any news that's already been submitted!

That's why I made it
    Last edited by Chris; 09-29-2005 at 01:01 PM.

is it just me or do cloud, sephiroph AND zack appear to be on the wallpaper???

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sora_Fan
    is it just me or do cloud, sephiroph AND zack appear to be on the wallpaper???
    Yeah, but that doesn't mean that they actually appear in the game!
    Last edited by Chris; 09-29-2005 at 01:01 PM.