Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kuja. A crossdresser AND a villain! WOW!

you don't like villians that are cocky?hmmmm...i can't realy think of a villian that wasn't cocky. thats one of the reasons they're villians.

if it helps you get less annoyed, ignore your friend and continue to think he's a woman. that way it wouldn't be so weird 2 you if he was feminine
    thanks to Kamiko for the awesome sig and avatar too
    Myspace

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

He looked a little feminine, and showed too much skin for my tastes, but that didn't take away from the fact that he was one evil sumbitch. Well it did a little, but not enough for me to think that he wasn't one of the greatest villains ever.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

The best villain of all time (Legato from Trigun) was pretty feminine. That's
    what made him such a great villain. He didn't have some deep voice and
    scars all over his face. He had a very melodic voice and a pretty puny
    body.

.opt

Kuja rocks; the end. The best villian and the best music (dark mesinger)

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Like many posts in this threads, spoilers abound.

First of all, I'm not going to compare Kuja to any other villain just because I don't want to get into the fight about who is better and whatnot. Kuja is my favorite villain, but that's all I'll say on that matter.

Like many have said, he wasn't the typical villain. He had a clear motive. He was created for the sole purpose of destroying Gaia so that the assimilation of Gaia and Terra would go smoothly. Garland had created him to do his dirty work. That was all he lived for and then what does Garland do? He goes and creates Zidane, who rendered Kuja useless. Zidane was created better in every way, but before he could live up to his potential, Kuja dumped him on Gaia so that he could continue being Garland's angel of death.

So naturally, he continues on like he's Garland's puppet. But who wouldn't be angry about that? Garland tried to replace him, obviously he's going to be spiteful. So he starts to defy Garland, which eventually leads to Garland destroying Alexander to spite Kuja.

When you first meet Kuja at the end of the first disc, he looks at Zidane, Vivi and Freya defeated and says, "This one will be a problem." At the time, you probably think he's refering to Vivi, as he's one of his creations that's running around out with a will of his own. Later you realize he's refering to Zidane. The one who is going to realize his power and become stronger than Kuja ever could be.

When he realizes that Zidane is stronger and that he has no chance, he naturally gets pissed off and seeks revenge through the motive, "If I can't live, nobody can." And tries to destroy existence by destroying the crystal that brings life.

What's my point? Kuja is human. Well, human in the sense that he has emotion. His whole motive was jelousy. He was upset that he could be tossed aside so easily, so he fought to be the one in power. When he realized that in the end, he couldn't win, he did everything he could to make sure nobody else could win.

And when Zidane, being the nice guy he is, goes into the Iifa tree to save Kuja, Kuja acknowledges that what he did was wrong, but he never regrets it. To the end, his emotions ruled him. Emotion was one thing that most villains lack, and that's why I think Kuja kicks ass.

As far as his appearance, it didn't really throw me off so much. Sure, he's a pretty boy, but it's refreshing to see someone who is not some testosterone filled guy who looks like he's beefed up on steroids.

Like others have said, Dark Messenger is awesome. Best boss music, second only One Winged Angel. Kuja's Theme is also awesome. Immoral Melody is even better.

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

chaos: Actually, I loved Kuja. He had excellent character development. In the beginning, he would just use others as puppets, then discard them, until Zidane and crew become too much of a nuisance for him. That is when he discovers the power of trance from Madeen, Eiko's eidolion. After that, he is bent on gaining that power.

Albedo: *smiles happily* He tried really hard, and it worked. That's when he uses his special powers to blow up Terra.

Rubedo: I guess... Anyways, the dark Messenger with Kuja and Garland and Zidane's past was great. It reminds me of the Rubedo-Nigredo-Albedo cycle from Xenosaga. My point is that Kuja was a great villan.

Trowa: As already mentioned, his theme was great too.

chaos: I agree, dark messenger was great!

Trowa: The only flaw in our opinion was letting Necron become the final boss. Other than that, he was great.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Rubedo
    Trowa: The only flaw in our opinion was letting Necron become the final boss. Other than that, he was great.
    Necron wasn't that surprising, they did mention a guardian of the crystal. Generally, they don't just mention things on the fly if they're not going to make use of it.

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

chaos: I suppose. Although at first I didn't really understand his role..

Kuja, in my opinion, is a great villian, because he totally epitomizes the things that madehim a villian in the first place: Human weakness. Final Fantasy IX is a story about human nature more than anything else. The game shows a clash between human weakness, and human strengths. Everything that motivates kuja is negative, whereas *most* things that motivate zidane are positive. It shows that with determination, and a positive outlook, great things can be accomplished. Id go into how zidane shows how to be a good person, but this is a thread about kuja.

***MAJOR SPOILERS, so beware***

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphier
    Like many posts in this threads, spoilers abound.

First of all, I'm not going to compare Kuja to any other villain just because I don't want to get into the fight about who is better and whatnot. Kuja is my favorite villain, but that's all I'll say on that matter.

Like many have said, he wasn't the typical villain. He had a clear motive. He was created for the sole purpose of destroying Gaia so that the assimilation of Gaia and Terra would go smoothly. Garland had created him to do his dirty work. That was all he lived for and then what does Garland do? He goes and creates Zidane, who rendered Kuja useless. Zidane was created better in every way, but before he could live up to his potential, Kuja dumped him on Gaia so that he could continue being Garland's angel of death.

So naturally, he continues on like he's Garland's puppet. But who wouldn't be angry about that? Garland tried to replace him, obviously he's going to be spiteful. So he starts to defy Garland, which eventually leads to Garland destroying Alexander to spite Kuja.

When you first meet Kuja at the end of the first disc, he looks at Zidane, Vivi and Freya defeated and says, "This one will be a problem." At the time, you probably think he's refering to Vivi, as he's one of his creations that's running around out with a will of his own. Later you realize he's refering to Zidane. The one who is going to realize his power and become stronger than Kuja ever could be.

When he realizes that Zidane is stronger and that he has no chance, he naturally gets pissed off and seeks revenge through the motive, "If I can't live, nobody can." And tries to destroy existence by destroying the crystal that brings life.

What's my point? Kuja is human. Well, human in the sense that he has emotion. His whole motive was jelousy. He was upset that he could be tossed aside so easily, so he fought to be the one in power. When he realized that in the end, he couldn't win, he did everything he could to make sure nobody else could win.

And when Zidane, being the nice guy he is, goes into the Iifa tree to save Kuja, Kuja acknowledges that what he did was wrong, but he never regrets it. To the end, his emotions ruled him. Emotion was one thing that most villains lack, and that's why I think Kuja kicks ass.

As far as his appearance, it didn't really throw me off so much. Sure, he's a pretty boy, but it's refreshing to see someone who is not some testosterone filled guy who looks like he's beefed up on steroids.

Like others have said, Dark Messenger is awesome. Best boss music, second only One Winged Angel. Kuja's Theme is also awesome. Immoral Melody is even better.

Wow...for the most part, almost everything you've said are things I tell people when I get into the argument of who was the greatest villian. Kuja is the best, since he had a good motive, and you could actually see him changing throughout the game. Almost everything in here are statements I agree with.

Actually, he wanted to destroy everything because Garland decided to leave him a little tidbit of information before Kuja did him in for the Alexander incident...not exactly connected with Zidane's strength or even jelousy. He told Kuja that he had a time limit on his life and that he was going to die soon. Up until that point in time, he thought he was immortal, that he could do anything he wanted and face no consequences for it.

Zidane's existence was really just an annoyance...Kuja had really no regards for him in the game, other than manipulating him. His blood never really boiled when he saw him. I mean, of course we know that Kuja threw the protagonist from his planet...but we never saw that in the game. If Garland hadn't mentioned anything about that incident, then we probably would have thought that Kuja had never even met Zidane until the game begins...I really always thought Kuja could care less about Zidane until the end of the 4th disc. Even when the hero came to destroy his plans, Kuja doesn't really show any rage towards the character or plots to fully destroy him. He just deals with him, shrugs, and then goes on his merry way to complete his own tasks.

When Bahamut injured him at the Iifa tree, he was shocked to find that he could actually bleed. And when the surprise wore off, he laughed it off and claimed that only Bahamut could be so powerful to draw his blood. The decision to steal the legendary eidolon was made right then and there. Hence when he uses the Invincible to convert the King of Dragons onto his side and kill off Brahne.

But he was able to draw a conclusions when he 'visits' Garland in Terra. When his former master tells him that there was a limit on his life, he goes ballistic and blows up Terra in anger. All of his hard work and past dedication was terminated in the act. His reason for existence, as it has been said, was gone. And with that, he decided to wipe out existence because he was going to die. If you remember, before the last fight he says something along the lines of: "Ah well...I was going to die anyway...But I'm not going alone...I'm taking you all with me!"

I love Kuja, because he actually showed his weakness: his fear of death, and was not afraid to reveal it. That was the basis of why he showed his emotions more than some other popular villains.

Other than that...I think we agree with each other. It's good to know that someone else thinks almost identical about him without telling me I'm insane for liking the scantily-dressed villain from IX (and in most cases, get over it and appreciate Sephiroth).

END NOTE: And someone mentioned Legato Bluesummers in here....yes, he is also another one of my favorites...but that's a different story.
    Last edited by Ancient Goddess; 09-28-2004 at 08:17 PM. Reason: I thought of another point, so I added in here.

*peeks 'round the corner* remember me?

NEways, I like Kuja *obviously*. He is just extraordinary in abilities, appearance and personality. I want to glomp him ^.^
    Anmod deore haeleth
    Sar colian
    Feothan
    Feothan
    Breost frofur
    Hael Hlysthan

Kuja was, to me, the most effective villain in the Final Fantasy series. I've gone into why elsewhere at length, but let's just say that he managed to make his rather whacked motives perfectly understandable.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I thought Kuja was a good villain. He was powerful, menacing, and everything else you love to hate...and not at all stereotypical. No denying that he looked like a woman, though.

Two things to consider about Kuja's sexuality:
    a) his feminine looks are much like Sephiroth's; it's a style of anime called bishounen (or something like that).
    b) although this hasn't really been discussed, he is clearly not gay. Pay attention to how he treats Garnet on disc 2 in Brahne's castle. He is very domineering over her, as if she belongs to him. Yes, this sounds stupid in text, but play through that bit and think of him as homosexual. It just doesn't fit. I'd call him 'flamboyant' and leave it at that.

He is one of my favorite villains, out of all of the Square games. Lavos was hardly sentinent, Ultimecia was hardly developed, and I didn't like Sephiroth (Eve from PE was pretty cool though . . . ). His motivation is fascinating. It appears at first to be simplistic and unimaginativly contrived, but it turns into something much more than that . . .

The Dark Messanger, though, while cool, is NOT the best final boss battle music. I would give that honor to either The Legendary Beast (Griever's) or The Extreme (Ultimecia's). Not OWA either.

(note: I'm a newb, can someone PM me and tell me how to get spoilers not to appear; all of the colors in the menu show up on the blue background, and I'm at a loss for how to proceed.)

well let's just say that kuja beats the crap out of altamecia. Honestly by the time I was at the end of 8 I was like why am I fighting her again? I guess taking over the world is not as threatening as destroying it.
    I don't know how to dance.