Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A world without human emotion...

A world without human emotion...

In my opinion, if humans never felt happy, sad and every other emotion in between, the human species would be much better off.

A few things that would benefit the human race as a whole, IF human emotion didn't exist...
    ~once someone turns a certain age, they are killed
    ~the whole communism thing would work nicely
    ~races and religion would be obsolete, thus no discrimination
    ~no country's

Meh, I havn't put much research thought into this, but I do think aboot it a lot. I'm not saying that I'd like to not feel emotions (that's the last thing that I'd want), but I'm saying that as a species, it would be much better. Feel free to give your too cents to this thought.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Baloki Kyuu (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Emotion drives us forward, saves our lives and gives us nothing but pain. The human race might be better off without it, but without emotions you wouldn't be able to enjoy this perfect world, so what in reality would be the point of living other then to just live?
    FOA

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

"Better off" only exists because we feel emotion. Emtion is how we assign things value. A world without emotion would be a world without value: worthless. Just a bunch of robots. To say it would be better or worse, you have to be a being with emotions, judging that world from the outside, because if you were inside that would you would be unable.

Without emotion we'd have no reason to live and we'd have no ambition we'd probably just sit around and die.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Baloki Kyuu (Sargatanas)
    Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Unne
    "Better off" only exists because we feel emotion. Emtion is how we assign things value. A world without emotion would be a world without value: worthless. Just a bunch of robots. To say it would be better or worse, you have to be a being with emotions, judging that world from the outside, because if you were inside that would you would be unable.
    We are outside that world, thats why we can make such judgements.
    FOA

what about LOVE???some wouldn't live without strong emotions like that *looks at self* there would also be no driving force as posted by Baloki to progress. it'd be like The Matrix.

ooh, what you're describing is a gr8 book called "The Giver". go read it or buy cliff notes or something, because it really is a nice read.
    thanks to Kamiko for the awesome sig and avatar too
    Myspace

Hmmm...these answers are intreiging...

I'm glad that there's at least one mind riviting thread among the others here.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Baloki Kyuu (Sargatanas)
    Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by White Raven
    Hmmm...these answers are intreiging...

I'm glad that there's at least one mind riviting thread among the others here.
    You really need to visit World Events and EoEo more xD
    FOA

The flying homo! Recognized Member Giga Guess's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

I disagree that we'd be better off. In bouts of dispair, it may seem like something one may want, but what about love, joy, revelling in all the little joys in life? And love? Without that, all we'd be is a bunch of rats simply reproducing endlessly. And we wouldn't kill people at an arbitrary age because we wouldn't feel any need to. They wouldn't register as anything, so they'd just be....there. Finally, fear. Without fear, we'd never survive, as fear alerts us to threats. Fear spurs us to survive.

My thoughts.

Many thanks Christmas!
    Horniest Member, 2007! Gimme a little unf unf!

Nah. I like my emotions. Even my bad ones. I'd rather have the good and the bad than nothing at all.
    Mugwumps, hi-jumps, low slumps, big bumps

These emotions you call sadness, love, etc. aren't human emotions. Every species has these emotions, just shown in a different way. There's some study to suggest even bacteria exhibit some sort of affection.

But I wouldn't want to live in a world without emotion. Granted in a world without emotion, there wouldn't be pain...there wouldn't be joy either...but you won't feel depressed or anything...you'd basically be a machine.

Even though my emotions aren't so high right now, I want to keep them rather than have it taken away. I sometimes feel like I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Giga Guess
    And love?Without that, all we'd be is a bunch of rats simply reproducing endlessly
    .....thats bad HOW?!?!?

lol, jk jk

thanks to Kamiko for the awesome sig and avatar too
    Myspace

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

If everybody agreed on anything we would all get along. But emotions and 'beliefs' are two different things.

I only think along the lines of 'Emotions are evil and wicked.', because they can cloud our logical judgement, as they do to everyone from time to time. Dale Carnegie wrote that we as humans are creatures of emotion, and it's true. While emotion is responsible for a whole hell of a lot of common mistakes humans make, it also makes us unique rather than just robots.

Is spite of all the bad they can to do to civility, I think we're better off with 'em in the long run.