Thread: Monster [FILM]

Default Monster [FILM]

Ugh, I saw this movie last night. What a horrible movie; not a bad film, just plain horrible in content. I found myself liking this movie for the same reason I loved Passion of the Christ, oddly enough. I love it not because it makes me come out with a smile on my face, or the feeling that I've just seen a good movie, but that I come out feeling terrible and dirty. If a movie makes me feel filthy and horrible the majority of the time it's playing, then it's a good film, because it takes itself seriously and does what it's intended to do. There was also strangely great characterization between Charlize Theron and Christina Ricchi that was genuinely heartwarming (not if you're a Christian). I suggest this film, but like I said, don't expect to have a good time.
    Last edited by Necronopticous; 09-29-2004 at 03:32 AM.

Wow, I didn't think it'd have a comparison like that. I have to go rent it, now.

Thanks ;]

I am a huge movie watcher... Maybe I'll start posting my brief opinion on every movie I see after I see it here. It will be lots of threads, but maybe that's a good thing. I'll be watching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind tonight when I get home, if it's done downloading.

I would compare Monster to Boys Don't Cry. They were both very good movies, but good would describe the artistic content, not the story. The story was graphic and scary, made much more scary by the "based on a true story" aspect of the movie. It's just one of those terrible stories that unfortunently happens to some people, and makes you wish you could do something to change society. Also, the way this story is portrayed does an extremely wonderful job of making you feel really really bad for the serial killing hooker. Very very well made movie, just one that going to leave a bad feeling in your stomach.

Charlize Theron's acting performance in this movie was BRILLIANT. I don't even know why they bothered having other nominees for the Oscar for Best Actress. And it was made that much better by the good but not so great performances of the rest of the cast (maybe that was done on purpose).

Monster was a great movie. Everything about it was superbly excuted, and it left me with a sort of astonished feeling.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous
    Ugh, I saw this movie last night. What a horrible movie; not a bad film, just plain horrible in content. I found myself liking this movie for the same reason I loved Passion of the Christ, oddly enough. I love it not because it makes me come out with a smile on my face, or the feeling that I've just seen a good movie, but that I come out feeling terrible and dirty. If a movie makes me feel filthy and horrible the majority of the time it's playing, then it's a good film, because it takes itself seriously and does what it's intended to do. There was also strangely great characterization between Charlize Theron and Christina Ricchi that was genuinely heartwarming (not if you're a Christian). I suggest this film, but like I said, don't expect to have a good time.
    I agree. One of the most powerful, most frightening things about this film is the way it made Eileen's actions seem understandable. NOT right or justifiable, but possible to understand - why she acted the way she did, how someone could turn out that way. So often, the actions of serial killers are completely inexplicable to a rational mind. Not so, here. Seeing it all from her perspective shows how such a tragedy can actually come about.

Also, superb acting, as has been mentioned. Easily the darkest, most disturbing film I've seen this year.