Thread: A rather overlooked FF song, I think...

Rawkstar In The Making skatehippie's Avatar

Default A rather overlooked FF song, I think...

I've read through the forum and I haven't seen ANYONE mention "Drifting" or "Drifter" from FFVIII. I'm not sure which is the exact title but it has become my favorite song from any video game, ever. It's just so....relaxing and sad at the same time. It's the song that plays when you're in Balamb Garden and the White SeeD ship comes for Elone, and you find her in the library.

I dunno I just wanted to bring it up to see if anyone else loved the song too.

I've actually figured out how to play most of it on guitar, and was thinking of recording a sort of rock solo version of it (not fast, just playing the song at normal speed with a rock tone so it sounds like a sweet ballad solo).
    Whadda you think?
    ...See You Space Cowboy!

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Drifting (FF8 OST, Disc 3, Track 5) is a pretty good and dark song. Not something I'd normally listen to, but it suits well into the scenes where it plays. It could be just me, but I think "People Seized with Life", a popular song from Chrono Cross, almost copies the Drifting song. Very similar song, VERY similar deep strings, very similar melody et cetera.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Yeah, that is a quite nice track. I find it quite subtle, so maybe that's why it doesn't stand out in people's minds? I think it added something to that scene in (SPOILER)space. I wouldn't say it was the highlight of the OST or something, but still nice.

I will do this. Nothing in my life matters except this. No moment in my life exists except this moment. I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment.

I actually love that song also. I didn't remember that it played in that scene with Ellone, but I think it plays when Rinoa is drifting alone in space. It's a very sad song, and one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth1999AD
    It could be just me, but I think "People Seized with Life", a popular song from Chrono Cross, almost copies the Drifting song. Very similar song, VERY similar deep strings, very similar melody et cetera.
    So that's what it reminded me of. Before I just downloaded a midi I imagined it ending the same way People Seized with Life does, but I couldn't think of what that song was. :rolleyes2

I will do this. Nothing in my life matters except this. No moment in my life exists except this moment. I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment.