Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Socs and other EoFF Labels.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Socs and other EoFF Labels.

First of all, why the hell are the "popular" members now labeled socs?

Second of all, why is there a "rebellion" of some sort to "take down" the socs?

What's the point????

Please enlighten me and others, because personally, I am finding this "socs vs. baotw/others' a bit annoying. Sure it can be fun, but it gets annoying when it's starting to be taken seriously.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Whatnow? What do those terms even mean? I've seen people use those terms before and I don't understand.

Anyways it seems dumb.

Socs = Preps = Popular + Mean

A term from the....80s I think....maybe 70s

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Quote Originally Posted by TasteyPies
    Socs = Preps = Popular + Mean

A term from the....80s I think....maybe 70s
    50's. The labels are especially famous because of their use in The Outsiders. The socs (pronounced so-shs) are the rich kids who're always giving the greasers a hard time, beating them up and treating them like garbage. The greasers are the 'rebels', the poor kids who're beaten down by the system. Just insert 'prep' for soc, as Tastey pointed out.

Anyway, as for the rest of it, I have no idea about any of this, nor do I care. I am rather gassy though.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm still trying to work out what the heck "BaotW" stands for, after months of seeing people write about it.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, since when has there been any sort of BAoTW vs. Socs thing? I didn't even know we were starting to label each other.

If it is a war than it's...well, kind of one-sided, as far as I can tell.

edit: Big D: Bored Atheist of the World. Kind of a lame premise for a club, if I do say so myself. Sorry guys.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Quote Originally Posted by Big D
    I'm still trying to work out what the heck "BaotW" stands for, after months of seeing people write about it.
    Bored Atheists of the World.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Wait, there are labels here?
    Mr Thou! Mr Thou!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Sure. There are 'citizens', 'superheroes', and 'villains'. Just pray you aren't in the third group.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Quote Originally Posted by Matty Pie!
    Wait, there are labels here?
    What, you didnt get yours? Wanna be a fat kid with me? We suck and no one loves us.

*is making up things as she goes along, to note*

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbominatrix
    50's. The labels are especially famous because of their use in The Outsiders. The socs (pronounced so-shs) are the rich kids who're always giving the greasers a hard time, beating them up and treating them like garbage. The greasers are the 'rebels', the poor kids who're beaten down by the system. Just insert 'prep' for soc, as Tastey pointed out.
    Me own that book along with other literary works by S.E. Hinton.

Quote Originally Posted by Taming the star runner
    Not exact quote

He especialy liked the part where she cleaned the hooves because it called for alot of bending over.

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

chaos: Socs?

Rubedo: And yeah, BAoTW stands for Bored Atheists of the World. It's kinda fun there...

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ooo Ooo Ooo! I wanna be something! Make me something! I don't care what it is! I'll be the pet monkey!

Signature by rubah. I think.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by BAoTW website
    4) Socs and the EoFF class system.
    No, not Socks. Socks = good. SOCS. What are socs? What is the EoFF class system? Ok, lemme explain.

First and foremost, at the top of the food chain, you have socs. They can do whatever they want, break the rules to a certain extent, and pretty much get away with it, because they are loved. They will nearly always win awards, and will often ignore, or at least socially, the people at a lower social level than them.

Then we have the Admins and the Cid's Knights, who while some of them are socs who everyone loves, most of them aren't. However, because of their positions in power, no-one dares challenge them about their biasedness towards the socs, and usually suck up to them.

Next there is the middle classes, who are generally accepted as members of EoFF, and stand a mild chance of winning awards and contests, but not much. They are also not allowed to break the rules as much as socs are, but they are a little bit, plus anything cool that they do do, is largely ignored, or at least is more ignored than it would be if a soc did it. They often spend their time sucking up to socs, as they want to become socs too.

Now we have the wannabes, who are vaguely known, but no-one really likes them and they have 0 chance of winning anything. The mods are also stricter on these people. They suck up to pretty much everyone, and are generally ignored. For example, people pay less attention to their threads. There is a pretty good chance they could have FF names and avatars, which further leads to them being ignored.

At the bottom of the social rung, there is the FF-Forum-only posters, who have FF names and avatars and the like. They don't even know the class system exists, and are quite content to talk about FF games.

We at BAoTW want an end to this, and want all people to be treated with equal respect.
    I must be the bottom rung...and have been for something like four years. I've never noticed such a thing.

Oh Internet.

I will let Psychotic explain this fully once he sees it, but I'll just give a teaser.

BAoTW was originally formed when Psychotic (and then lesser-known members Pure Strife and Faris_the_guy) were fairly new to EoFF. Socs, according to them back then, are sort of like an aristocracy, or even a bourgeoisie, of people who think they are better than others because they are "popular" for no real reason. They were also referred to as townies, among other things. (These are real life people they were referring to) And so thusly, when Psychotic was still a relative unknown and not nearly as popular as he is now, he labeled the people in positions of power (such as the CKs) as Socs, as well as the popular members (such as Linus). I won't go into much more detail so as to not jeopardize my friend's status here. He'll be on tomorrow, and I bet he'll post in this thread.