Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Opinions on Square.

Default Your Opinions on Square.

What do you think of squaresoft right now? Do you think it is better than ever; do you think they lost it; or do you think they should make things better? IMHO, Square needs to go back to what it was, the top tier style of rpg making. I wish apon a star that their would be an RPG like FF6, 7, Xenogears and above all Chrono Trigger (w/c is the best RPG ever made IMO). I just can't stand what it is today, i was very disappointed with FFX-2, and some of the new titles being produced. Why can't we see another style of a chrono trigger or FFoldschooler, what the **** happened to square these days?

Well, that was my opinions how do you guys feel?

I never agreed with their merging with Enix, 'cause I knew it would change things (possibly for the better, but most likely for the worst). I also don't like how they completely scrapped the idea of remaking FFVII for PS2. I really had my hopes up for that... Alos, FFXI...I just never liked online games, especially when you have to pay a monthly fee just to play it.
    Other than that, I don't have any other problems. I liked FFX-2 just fine. FFXII isn't even out yet, and people are already complaining about it. I'd prefer to actually play the game first before I hunt for any reasons to not like it. FF: CC was a pretty cool idea, but since nobody I know likes it or wants to play it anymore, I've never seen the ending (single player is just boring with it, and I don't actually own the game, my friend does).

:shoot:

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

The only thing I dislike about the merger with Enix is that it removes some of Square's competition, which is both good and bad. Good because it allows them a bit more freedom to try things, bad because there's less motivation to shell out another amazing game and 'beat the competition'.

I like Square just as much as I always have. They're coming out with amazing games and they have a lot more innovation than they did. I wonder how things will shape up now that Sakaguchi is gone? The only thing that makes me even think of disliking Square is the constant complaints. Some people want new and innovative, others want the same game redone 600 different ways. Either side is going to complain. Constantly.

And, even if one day I decide I hate Square, before descending to whining I'll go play one of the hundreds of other amazing RPGs on the market, and all will be right with my world.

I've lost faith in it somewhat. Games like FFVI and VII amuse me while IX, X, and X-2 make me wonder if Square Enix even cares anymore with such sloppy characters and plots going downward. Ever sence the merger it's been just aweful. They rely too much on FFX and VII that they made sequels to them, why do that when they can just make put all of that effort and money into making newer titles or making sequels to games that beg them. I've been dying for another Ehgiez or a sequel to Vagrant Story, and as well as them finishing Chrono Break or whatever the Chrono Cross Sequel was called that Square decided to cancel.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Enix had nothing to do with X or X-2 I'm pretty sure Enix came in just around the time X-2 was released. By the by, werent you one of the people howling for a VII sequel not too long ago?

They arent gonna waste their money making sequels for games that didnt make them a lot of cash. Like Ergeiz or Vagrant Story. I'd rather they old off on another Chrono game, unless they have a really good idea to do it with.

It's so funny, now Enix ix gonna be the scapegoat for the 'destruction of Square'. Poor Enix.

Actually the merger happened a little while after X was released I think. And I wasn't howling for a VII sequel, I was howling for an VIII sequel.

I think they should make one gigantic Final Fantasy in which all the main characters and final bosses of each FF game are somehow connected and help each other out during the story.

...No, nevermind, I don't really think that, that'd be ludicrous. However, a fighting game with a lot of the main characters and final bosses would be sweet (even better if it's done SSBM style), and little (if any) new characters.

But we all know that will very likely never happen.

P.S. Joel, I refuse to clcik .

:shoot:

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Another fighting game would definitly be fun, but it'd better be better Ergheiz. That blewn. Something like Soul Calibur would be nice, or even SSBM. I dont think Ergheiz pulled in enough revenue to matter, though.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This thread belongs in the general square-enix forum.
    Mr Thou! Mr Thou!

i agree with abominatrix, there are two square camps. one that wants new innovative games and another that want sequels. i personally would love both. i think square should remake VII, VII, IX for PS2. i would gladly buy VII and IX again, id consider buying VIII, but i also think that they should put alot of effort into the newer games. im still surprised that some game company hasnt snatched up the HIS DARK MATERIALS books, coz they'd be an amaaaaaaaaazing rpg if done right
    "I think good and evil are names for things people do, not labels for who they are" - His Dark Materials

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

I dunno if Square is too big on making RPGs from existing ideas, like books.

Aside from the new LotR RPG coming out (which is based off the movies anyway), are there any RPGs based off of books? Now I'm curious. I suppose I shall have to make a topic.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I don't know about RPGs based off of books but if there were some it wouldn't be any book we have heard of. Since squenix is located in the land of the rising fun, they read jap books which we have never heard the likes of.

In my opinion square never really had it. They have some good games and have had a good run in the mid-late 90's but other than that they sucked for the most part.

Chrono Trigger was good but that was a collabaration with enix(so where is a true sequel already? )
    Super Mario RPG was a collaboration with Nintendo
    Then there was the PSX generaiton where they had some good games and some original ones like Parasite Eve and Xenogears.

This generation they haven't done much of anything worthwhile all around. I don't own one square game yet this generation although when the greatest FF game ever hits...I will own it(FFXII).

Their FFVII sequel-ish game is a waste of damn time. Why don't they give the people what they want. A SEQUEL TO FFVII. The movie is cool but why make a game based off a side character that is optional and not very important? Where is a true FFVII RPG sequel?

Square...Your a bunch of morons...most of the time.

EDIT: Clean it up. -SD

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

It's come to the point where you love them or you hate them. I still love Square, and Square Enix to death. Why? As far as I've concerned, all of the games they've produced, that I've played mind you, were good. Sure, some were better than others, but in the end, none of them have sucked so horribly that it would bring me to hating the company.

All the Final Fantasy games have been fun to play. When I finally got my hands on FF Origins, Anthologies and Chronicles I was as giddy as a school girl. Though I haven't finished any of them, they've all been fun to play.

Most all of their Final Fantasy titles have developed a strong fan-base (except maybe II and IIIj) and the Chrono games are well liked, Tactics was amazing, and though I'm not overtly fond of it, FFTA has many fans as well. Vagrant Story is one of those love-it-hate-it titles, but I have no opinion as I haven't played it. From what I understand, Ergheiz was nothing special, but it's not really a big title. Xenogears has a decent fan-base as well.

Some people whine incessantly about FFX-2. It was great, but it was fun. I've played through twice, but that's all I've gotten out of it. Some people whine about FFXI: Online because they're terribly upset about an online game. So what? I played it for 10 months and then stopped- not because I didn't like it, but because I realized I didn't have the time to get anywhere in it.

Others complain about FFXII (which I think may restore Square Enix's glory) and Before Crisis, Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus. Sucks to them I say, it's not even out yet. Though there are a lot of FFVII games coming out, they all look decent to me, and Advent Children is going to be amazing. We probably won't even get Before Crisis State side, so why bother with it? Dirge of Cerberus is shaping up to be a third person shooter, but I don't mind. Vincent was a kick-ass character, even if he had a minimal role.

All this comes down to my opinion: Square Enix isn't that god-awful. And though I don't like to hear everyone constantly whining about how bad something is, you have the right to. If you do whine, I think it should be done so with back-up as to why the game/company is so bad. This thread has done a good job so far, and I hope it stays that way.
    Last edited by Ouch!; 09-30-2004 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco
    I wish apon a star that their would be an RPG like FF6, 7, Xenogears and above all Chrono Trigger
    I wish, also [u]pon a star, that people would learn the correct uses of the following words: "they're", "their", and "there".

Sorry, but if you're going to bring back the age-old argument: "Square should constantly produce clones of great games they've made in the past," at least do so in a grammatically correct manner. I wonder if everyone would be satisfied if Square made as many clone games as complaining people made clone threads about how Square is:

a) out of ideas.
    b) a group of money grubbing assholes.
    c) lame for being innovative.
    d) et.al.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

And here I was hoping that this would be a nice thread.