Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Postseason Baseball 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Super Delete
    Houston will beat them in 7, and it will be the greatest punchline in sports history.

Good for them to get there, though. Like Cap said it's a much better story. I'm sure most of us are sick of the Yanks by now.
    I was sick of the Yankees when I first watched them in 1996, when NY swept a 4-game series in Baltimore, and then Jeffrey Maier caught that ball that should have been an out, but ruled an opposite field HR by Derek Jeter. That completely turned the series around because Baltimore was up in that game and eventually lost it. NY eventually won the WS that year, coming back from 0-2 against Atlanta.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

no way Boston loses in the World Series. And you shouldn't feel sorry for the Astros just because they haven't ever been to the WS. You have to earn it, and they have their chance tomorrow. If you want to feel sorry for a team that has never been to the WS and had their chance stolen, root for the Expos. Or the former Expos...

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I read in the paper today that the only sport to have a 0-3 deficit and came back was in hockey and it happened twice. But never anywhere else. It sure is a hell of a rarity and if you come back from something like that then you deserve to go on and get every ounce of praise coming your way.

Go Boston!

Articles

I might as well cross-post this from my LiveJournal...

The number 86 seems to have a lot of significance in New England sports. Consider the following...

- The last time the Boston Celtics won an NBA title? 1986. It was also the year Larry Bird ruled all, earning regular season and postseason MVP honors in '85-'86, as well as being crowned the 3-point king the following season.
    - On February 3, 2002, the New England Patriots won their first Super Bowl. Tom Brady was the MVP, and he threw one touchdown pass against the St. Louis Rams that day. It was to David Patten, whose jersey number happens to be 86.
    - The first time the Patriots even made the Super Bowl was on January 26, 1986. They got crushed by the Chicago Bears, of course, but their leading receiver on the day was a guy named Stanley Morgan. He too, wore jersey number 86.
    - Cam Neely, beloved by Boston Bruins fans, was acquired from the Vancouver Canucks in 1986.
    - Marvelous Marvin Hagler, a native of Massachusetts, defended his middleweight boxing title for the last time in 1986.
    - The Red Sox last appeared in the World Series in 1986. We all remember what happened there...
    - It's been 86 years now since the Red Sox last won a World Series title. 1918 was the last year they brought home a winner.
    - In this series, the Red Sox and Yankees combined to score <i>exactly</i> 86 runs. If you don't believe me, do the math... 10-7, 3-1, 19-8, 6-4, 5-4, 4-2, 10-3. 17 + 4+ 27 + 10 + 9 + 6 + 13 = 86

This has gotta be some kind of cosmic harmonic convergance of some sort. Perhaps now the Red Sox will 86 the curse?

Blog Entries

SOX!!!!!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

A caller on a radio show today pointed out that this world series could be a battle of the presidential candidates. Kerry, from Boston and a Red Sox 'fan' (I doubt he could name half the starting lineup), and W., who used to own the Houston Astros. Of course the 'Stros would need to win tonight...

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Boston fans by the end of that game were shouting, a la Pedro's new chant, "Who's your caddie?" *du du du-du-du*

I was listening to Dan Patrick on my way home from school, and he pointed out that if Houston wins, and the series goes to 7, then Game 7 will be Clemens v. Pedro at Fenway. Clemens could win a WS in his last game ever. Pedro could win a WS in his last game as a Red Soc.

Blog Entries

Sox will win it all. SL and Houston can't stand up against em

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Looks like it will be a slugfest. Two potent lineups going at it.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I always hear how Roger Clemens will win Cy Young, but to be honest...Randy Johnson should win it. Every stat, other than wins, RJ has the advantage over RC. Astros average over 2 runs more for RC's starts than the Diamondbacks for RJ's starts, that's why RJ almost has a losing record.

Not dissing RC, but RJ not winning the Cy Young would be a real mockery to the award, since it's for the best pitcher...not the best pitcher on a winning team.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

W was a part owner of the Rangers. Maybe he was a part owner of the Astros too, but no matter anymore.

I'm sticking with my prediction of the Cards winning the series, as they managed to have an offense almost as high powered as Boston and without a DH. I think they'll have a HUGE advantage when Boston goes to St. Louis and has to decide who they won't play since they won't use the DH. Will Ortiz play the field?

Take care all.

Blog Entries

He better play the field . I just hope we can keep the hitting up.

Articles

Yeah, it's been confirmed that Ortiz will be playing first base over Millar when they play in St. Louis. They'd be crazy not to do that after his insane ALCS, and I don't think it'll really be detrimental since Boston has homefield advantage.

First, Clemens blew the All-Star Game, and then the NLCS. Go figure.

Defensive Advantage is quite clearly in St Louis' favor then.

Take care all.